Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 7,818 times

Advertisements

Hey i am moving to NYC for a year to finish culinary school. I am a full time worker right now and My husband is in military so he is going to stay where he is stationed. He is going to be sending $1500 a month and I will be working, plus I have $4000 saved. But First I know I need to visit before any drastic decisions are made. Also I wanted feedback on the pricing of childcare out there and also rent. I do not know the areas out there which is why I really need feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by jaywill413; 10-20-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Where in NYC do you want to live? What is your salary? How much rent can you afford? How old is your child?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:01 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Rent is probably going to be over $1500. You have to pay first, security deposit, and possibly broker's fee (usually 1 month, or 1.5 months) and/or last month. So if you find a place for $2000, you're looking at up to $8,000 to move in. If you're looking at a coop, your income has to be 40x monthly rent, meaning a $2000 apt requires an income of $80,000 with two years of tax returns to back that up.

Are you dead set on living in NYC? New Jersey and Westchester are cheaper.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM

I do not know where I want to live. I have commuted 1.5 hours by transit before to get to work everyday. So commuting is no problem for me. I am not dead set on moving to NYC, just my school is in Flat Iron District which I know I cant afford lol. But answer to your questions:
Daughter is 3
Rent I can afford is 1200-1300.
Annual Income right now is around 75,000
But he is expecting more raises by the time I move and he is probably deploying when I go to school so that will be more money also.
I need to really visit because I do not know the different cities there at all.
Also I am only staying a year then moving back to San Diego

Old 10-20-2013, 05:27 PM

Default Sorry I dont know how to reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Where in NYC do you want to live? What is your salary? How much rent can you afford? How old is your child?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Rent is probably going to be over $1500. You have to pay first, security deposit, and possibly broker's fee (usually 1 month, or 1.5 months) and/or last month. So if you find a place for $2000, you're looking at up to $8,000 to move in. If you're looking at a coop, your income has to be 40x monthly rent, meaning a $2000 apt requires an income of $80,000 with two years of tax returns to back that up.

Are you dead set on living in NYC? New Jersey and Westchester are cheaper.

, or show a person i replied

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Are you going to ICE for culinary school? Also, can't you go to a culinary school in San Diego??

http://www.sdci-inc.com/

Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Yes, eventhough I rather go to C.I.A. Also I could go to a SD school but that is not my dream school. If I am going to spend a ton on culinary school it might as well be at the school I want to go.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
C.I.A. = Culinary Institute of America??

This school is located in Hyde Park, NY. Not NYC.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
You should probably look into living in Queens. If you stay by certain train lines, the commutes shouldn't be too bad, like 45 minutes to an hour. Try Rego Park and Kew Gardens.

$1300 should get you a studio apartment in a building (in other words, not a basement apartment in a house, which is not desirable). If you require a one bedroom at that price, you might have to branch out into other neighborhoods that are not as transit accessible (bus to subway) such as Glendale or Middle Village. Being further from the train usually means lower rental prices. You will need first month, security and brokers fee at a minimum. Expect to get your credit, income, etc. checked (read some threads about those things).

I am not sure of the cost of childcare but you could try a blog like Queens Mamas - Things to Do In Queens with Kids

Another option for a neighborhood could be Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Commute would likely be the same as those neighborhoods in Queens, and it's also a nice neighborhood.

I don't know much about Jersey or the Bronx so can't advise.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:43 PM

Yes I know CIA is in Hyde Park. I was just stating what I was considering.

But to Henna, thanks for actually helping. Since it is just for a year I do not mind a studio apartment. I know what areas to look in when I visit. I just needed to know what to start with. Once I visit I should have a better feel on what I am going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City