Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:23 PM

27,623 posts, read 28,723,867 times

Advertisements

I'm the kind of person who prefers to save and invest my money to achieve financial independence rather than live paycheck to paycheck.

So, I was wondering if you'd be willing share your personal experiences with this living in NYC. Do you find that living and working in the city makes it easier or more difficult to save for the future? Does the COL tend to eat up most of your income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,864,016 times
it all depends on your lifestyle and the amount of money you earn. It is very possible to live within your means and save, however how much you can save goes back to earnings.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Some people couldn't save money living on a desert island.

Savers save, and spenders spend, and borrowers spend more than they have.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 PM

298 posts, read 707,519 times
You can save mad dough living in the hood.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,623,462 times
Are you planning on living with roomates?

Will you bring a car??

How much debt do you currently have?

If debt is minimal and you ditch the car and find a roommate you will be

put yourself in position to be able to save more.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,294,161 times
It's not just relative to NYC, but you'll be able to save $$ easily if you live within your means.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm the kind of person who prefers to save and invest my money to achieve financial independence rather than live paycheck to paycheck.

So, I was wondering if you'd be willing share your personal experiences with this living in NYC. Do you find that living and working in the city makes it easier or more difficult to save for the future? Does the COL tend to eat up most of your income?

Of course the higher cost of living eats up your ability to save--- it is basic economics--- if your expenses
are higher with the same income then your savings must be by definition lower---

Can it be done-- I guess but only with great sacrifice.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,837,085 times
I would say it is more difficult in NYC if you value a nice lifestyle and nice living conditions. That is b/c what you get for your money does not go very far at all, in terms of housing / apartments, etc. Can you save money? Of course, if you are willing to make the sacrifices.

For instance, I am making about 2.5 times what I made when I graduated college about 8 years ago. However, I still do not save nearly what I would like to. Why is that? B/c rent accounts for such a huge portion of your budget in NYC b/c of housing costs. When I started my career making x, I said 'man, if I can only make x+20k, I'd be able to save all that money.' Well, when I did....I decided I didn't want to have a room that was smaller than a prison cell, so my income increase largely went to higher rent to just live a little bit better. Play that scenario over several times til today

Now could I have saved more? Sure, I could have moved to the boroughs, or kept living with roommates at 30 years old. But at 30, I wanted my own place, and wouldn't move out of manhattan (except maybe to Hoboken), so a large portion of my income increases also goes to trying to not live like an animal.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,623,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I would say it is more difficult in NYC if you value a nice lifestyle and nice living conditions. That is b/c what you get for your money does not go very far at all, in terms of housing / apartments, etc. Can you save money? Of course, if you are willing to make the sacrifices.

For instance, I am making about 2.5 times what I made when I graduated college about 8 years ago. However, I still do not save nearly what I would like to. Why is that? B/c rent accounts for such a huge portion of your budget in NYC b/c of housing costs. When I started my career making x, I said 'man, if I can only make x+20k, I'd be able to save all that money.' Well, when I did....I decided I didn't want to have a room that was smaller than a prison cell, so my income increase largely went to higher rent to just live a little bit better. Play that scenario over several times til today

Now could I have saved more? Sure, I could have moved to the boroughs, or kept living with roommates at 30 years old. But at 30, I wanted my own place, and wouldn't move out of manhattan (except maybe to Hoboken), so a large portion of my income increases also goes to trying to not live like an animal.

Right on. Very accurate statements. I am in the same boat.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:41 PM

112 posts, read 352,877 times
Very difficult to save when living in the 5 boroughs. Think about it, we are not only paying federal and state taxes, but the NY City tax too! Sure, overall the average salaries here are higher than in lesser taxed area's, but still the cost of living here is amongst the highest in the nation.

The key is to spend less than you make, so you have some extra to save, but it is very hard to do without making sacrifices and cutbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: