Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,749 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

This narrow neighborhood is bordered by three subway lines (2/5/6), conveniently enough each line (2/5+6) serve a different half (West/East) of Manhattan unlike Washington Heights. The farthest points of the neighborhood from a subway station are .3 of a mile or a 5 minute walk.

The neighborhood has a recently renovated central park (Rainey Park) and is a short bike ride from the larger St Mary's, Soundview, or Crotona Parks. There is even an evolving green way on the banks of the Bronx River.

The terrain is relatively flat with some variation and the housing stock is predominantly low rise, pre-war, 5 and 6 story apartment buildings. There are also modern row houses and apartment buildings scattered about. There is even a landmarked collection of historic semi-detached row houses in the heart of the neighborhood. I must say a lot of the older housing stock in the neighborhood is very run down, but the new stuff looks good.

Retail is pretty limited right now, mostly cheap stores. However, the primary retail corridor has achieved B.I.D. status and is expanding. A lot of mixed use buildings on the primary thoroughfares, bodegas, barbershop, 99 cent stores. A couple Puerto Rican Restaurants and some ghetto nightlife but little else to do locally.

Demographics are similar to Bushwick in Brooklyn through the 90s. There is a lot of concentrated poverty, mostly in the older pre-war apartment buildings. However there are also a lot of middle class people too. The crime rates are above average, but have seen steep declines over the years.

25 minutes to Grand Central Station via 6/5.
32 minutes to Union Sq via 6/5.
25 mins to Penn Station via 2.
37 min to the Meatpacking District via 2.
36 minutes to the World Trade Center via 2.
23 minutes to Columbus Circle via 2.
30 minutes to Times Square via 2.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2007/06/longwood-bronx/

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 02-24-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,517 times
Do you have kids, Kiddo? Not having any kids does make things much easier moving into that area.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
I am very bullish on this area, and this is where I bought another building (+vacant lot). Longwood is a subset of Hunts Point, and it has 1 of the 2 landmarked historic districts in the Bronx...the brownstones are nice AND most have parking! It is well served by train lines (2/5/6) and a reasonable commute to midtown/14th st (<30 mins).

It has limited amenities however, so you will spend all of your fun time in the city..which is ok with me. I have been trying to buy a brownstone in the nabe for awhile but the numbers don't make sense...so I wait. If you live in and around the historic district, which is the only area of Longwood I would recommend living, the area is quiet, clean, and rather nice. This is one of the places I will be taking pics of during my Southern Bronx pic tour!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Can somebody give some neighborhood boundaries?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
IMO the nabe is bound on the east by Bruckner Blvd, the west by Prospect Ave, north by 163st and Westchester Ave (2/5 train station at Prospect Ave), and south by Southern Blvd (terminates at E149th 6 train station).

If you go north of 163rd you are in Morrisania.
If you go south of Southern Blvd you are in Mott Haven.
If you east of the Bruckner you are in Hunts Point proper.
If you go west of Prospect Ave you are in Melrose/Mott Haven/Woodstock.

(Technically Longwood is part of Woodstock, however Longwood has emerged as a disctinct nabe).

Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Nowadays when it comes to neighborhood boundaries you can't trust Wikipedia and Google. Wikipedia had some reliable boundaries in the mid to late 00's now it's corrupted and infected with false information from ppl with whatever agendas and personal intrests.

Yes, Longwood is a subsection of Hunts Point.

Westchester Ave to the north
Southern Blvd to the east
Bruckner to the south
Prospect Ave to the west

If you go north of 163rd west of Prospect you are in Morrisania.
If you go north east of Prospect and south of Westchester you are in Hunts Point/ Longwood.
If you go north of Westchester Avenue east of Prospect you are in East Morrisania (Crotona Park East)

Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Did a quick tour on Google Street Views. Reminds me of the East 90s in East Flatbush borderline Brownsville aesthetically speaking.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

It's a much nicer neighborhood then Hunts Point south of Bruckner which is one of the worst hoods the Bronx has to offer.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Longwood is mostly in the confines of the 41st precinct. The area is a mixed bag, some good and some bad. Nice brownstones with some charm but needs more character. Area is not a place to hangout unless one dont mind going to Italian mafia owned topless nude bars which feature ghetto chicks across the Bruckner expressway. The are is not a great place to raise a family not becuase of crime but air quality, planes flying over from Laguardia dumping chemtrails, gas powered frieght trains by the amtrak line, and lets not forget about the bruckner expressway which straddles alongside Longwood.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM

10.000 diesel trucks drive down to Hunts Point and back up a day pumping the neighborhoods with carbon monoxide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City