Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 15,324 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal. I apologize in advance for the endless questions but I'm honestly clueless. I tried reading up but honestly sometimes just asking helps. Please answer as much or as little as you'd like. Every bit will help me. Don't be afraid to tell me I'm delusional either. Thanks so much in advance.

I'm female, mid-twenties moving from Dallas to Manhattan in January. I will be working in Midtown. My salary will probably be about $55k. I'll be in NYC next week for work and I have the chance to scout apartments. I know I can't lock anything down this far in advance, but I'd like to make use of my week up there wisely.

The embarrassing fact is that I've never rented an apartment or lived alone (minus dorm), so I have no renter's history/references. On the other hand, I've worked since HS and been responsible with my bills so my credit is pretty good (760+).

**Will I be able to get an apt without a guarantor given no renting history but good credit and a few thousand in my savings account?

Here are my current plans:
Based on 55k salary, take home $2750 monthly. (a lot less taxes here in TX lol)
**Reasonable?

Monthly expenses:
I have about $700 in hard bills every month (phone, insurance, loans, etc.)
I'm budgeting about 150 for transportation per month
300 for food/misc (this is probably too low, but honestly all I got).

Rent:
Would like to spend 1600/mo total on housing (1400 for rent/200 for utilities+internet)
I would like to live somewhere safe, close to subway with easy commute to midtown, and that will be good for someone in their 20s who's looking to have a little fun. I am expecting to have a roommate, maybe two to help with cost. Don't want to live outside Manhattan.

What about these neighborhoods?
Given my info above, please let me know which of these neighhorhoods might be a good fit for my budget and needs. Or let me know any thoughts opinions about these neighborhoods (sketchy, better for families, out of your price range, etc.)

- East Village
- Lower East Side
- Greenwich Village
- Murray Hill
- Alphabet City
- Stuy Town (Is this a 'lame' part of town?)
- West Village
- Upper east/west side (is this too far?)

Lowering move-in costs?
I've been searching Craigslist in hopes of saving money on broker fee by looking for sublets. Furnished ones would help me save on moving furniture. Are there any other ways to save? How do I spot a scam?

Should I sublet for a month or so in January to give myself time to find a better apartment when I'm in NYC?

Deposits?
What can I expect as far as getting deposits back? How common is it to get it back? What about on sublets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycatloafer View Post
Here's the deal. I apologize in advance for the endless questions but I'm honestly clueless. I tried reading up but honestly sometimes just asking helps. Please answer as much or as little as you'd like. Every bit will help me. Don't be afraid to tell me I'm delusional either. Thanks so much in advance.

I'm female, mid-twenties moving from Dallas to Manhattan in January. I will be working in Midtown. My salary will probably be about $55k. I'll be in NYC next week for work and I have the chance to scout apartments. I know I can't lock anything down this far in advance, but I'd like to make use of my week up there wisely.

The embarrassing fact is that I've never rented an apartment or lived alone (minus dorm), so I have no renter's history/references. On the other hand, I've worked since HS and been responsible with my bills so my credit is pretty good (760+).

**Will I be able to get an apt without a guarantor given no renting history but good credit and a few thousand in my savings account?

Here are my current plans:
Based on 55k salary, take home $2750 monthly. (a lot less taxes here in TX lol)
**Reasonable?

Monthly expenses:
I have about $700 in hard bills every month (phone, insurance, loans, etc.)
I'm budgeting about 150 for transportation per month
300 for food/misc (this is probably too low, but honestly all I got).

Rent:
Would like to spend 1600/mo total on housing (1400 for rent/200 for utilities+internet)
I would like to live somewhere safe, close to subway with easy commute to midtown, and that will be good for someone in their 20s who's looking to have a little fun. I am expecting to have a roommate, maybe two to help with cost. Don't want to live outside Manhattan.

What about these neighborhoods?
Given my info above, please let me know which of these neighhorhoods might be a good fit for my budget and needs. Or let me know any thoughts opinions about these neighborhoods (sketchy, better for families, out of your price range, etc.)

- East Village
- Lower East Side
- Greenwich Village
- Murray Hill
- Alphabet City
- Stuy Town (Is this a 'lame' part of town?)
- West Village
- Upper east/west side (is this too far?)

Lowering move-in costs?
I've been searching Craigslist in hopes of saving money on broker fee by looking for sublets. Furnished ones would help me save on moving furniture. Are there any other ways to save? How do I spot a scam?

Should I sublet for a month or so in January to give myself time to find a better apartment when I'm in NYC?

Deposits?
What can I expect as far as getting deposits back? How common is it to get it back? What about on sublets?
55k a year, good credit without a guarantor will get a nice apartment in non hip Brooklyn, far away in Queens. Bronx and in isolated Staten Island. You definitely need a. Reality check becsuse if you want to live in Manhattan on 55k a year, you better start looking for roommates.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycatloafer View Post
female, mid-twenties moving from Dallas to Manhattan ... working in Midtown. My salary will probably be about $55k. ... never rented an apartment or lived alone (minus dorm)
No networking? Did you go to university in TX? Are there alumni in Manhattan you can contact? Future co-workers? Word of mouth references could be better than any advice which you could receive here.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
As far as I know, most roommate situations would not require a broker's fee. If you want to spend $1400 and live in Manhattan, you will absolutely need a roommate situation. It seems like you know that already.

You won't need much furniture to move into someone else's apartment. All you need is a bed and a dresser. Most roommate situations prefer people without much furniture.

I can't really evaluate your budget very well, but $300/mo for "food/misc" saying "this is all I've got" sounds really ridiculous. If $300 is all you have for that, then you should not be spending $1400 a month for rent!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 AM

725 posts, read 806,098 times
I suggest you check out Riverdale. Riverdale is in the bronx just north of manhattan. It is an upper middle class neighborhood for the apartments and has some of the nyc's biggest and nicest mansions for rich people (2-5 million).

Riverdale is a quiet area that is one of the safest in the city. You can take the express bus and be in midtown in 45-50 minutes, take the subway or take metro north to grand central terminal.

55K is hard to live on in a decent area in manhattan after taxes.
You can get a studio for around 1200 in a doorman building or 1600 for a one bedroom in a doorman building in riverdale with a gym, seasonal pool.

I'd say go for a studio and spend the savings on living better.

Message me if you want specific buildings after you research the area. I wouldn't want a roommate nor did I dorm.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I suggest Astoria in Queens as an option.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-05-2013, 04:23 AM

912 posts, read 2,100,212 times
She said she doesn't want to live outside Manhattan guys.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Murray Hill with a roommate. It has lots of 20 somethings and bars.

A lot of you did not read her post. She said only manhattan and she expects to have a roommate.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM

988 posts, read 3,256,170 times
I moved from Austin to NYC in 09 and basically met most of my network through the Texas Exes. Huge chapter here and easy to find roommates.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?re...groups/nytxex/

Also, most large schools in Texas have a chapter here: TCU, Tx State, A&M, Rice, Houston, Baylor, and Tech have sizable chapters.

You must get a roommate, no way around it if you want to live in Manhattan unless you want to live in a not so good area or in a rat-infested 5 story walkup and that may still be out of your price range. I had one friend move to East Harlem and she got mugged because she was so fearful of her surroundings and looked like an easy target. I have another friend who moved from Austin directly to Staten Island to save on rent(and to be close to work) and it was a culture shock. She was from a small predominantly White town outside of Austin and moved into a mostly minority building. She did make the best of her situation and made friends with the locals. She subsequently moved to Manhattan though.

Stuy Town is in a great part of town, quiet community within a bustling East Village/Gramercy area.

I however do recommend you get a roommate in Astoria, Queens which is convenient to midtown, and you won't be broke. If you have parental support, then go for Manhattan.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 15,324 times
Thanks for the advice so far guys, appreciate the honest answers. And yes, I definitely expect to have 1-2 roommates with my low budget. It's looking like sublets are my best option for manhattan.

Would something like this be legit? 1300 utilities included for a studio in Greenwich Village (what is that neighborhood like?)

http://www.newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sub/4170239523.html

This is the reply the guy sent me via email:

Hi

Thanks for your interest in our property and It's a private property and nothing to share with anybody. the property is very much

available,Apartment is newly furnished and Smelling Fresh clean with no damages, It has air-conditioning, laundry, cable TV and

Wi Fi Hi Speed internet, linen, towels are also provided. The property is in a safe and quiet neighborhood and close to all

attractions in the neighborhood.

The property is very much available for a short term and long term lease.

Price per month : $1300 (Utilities Included)
Security Deposit : $500 (100% Refundable On check out date)
Deposit: First Month Apartment rent plus the security Deposit
Apartment is located at: 50 Barrow Street, New York
Method Of Deposit To Secure And Reserve Down The Apartment: Bank Transfer

You will need to secure reservation for now if you really need it, because we do our business first come first serve and if you

book it now we can reserve it for you alone.

NOTE: Keep the property clean because when you check in you will see that it's very clean and please no damage and it's private

and not shared.

Thanks

DANNY PROPERTY RENTALS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City