Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times

Advertisements

Mine is lower than yours. Nobody knows the method to the madness with this process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 PM

28 posts, read 50,020 times
Wow I need a dishwasher really had a fast response. I deposited my documents the Thursday before dishwasher, they checked my credit last Saturday (two days after) and havent heard anything yet (credit is in the mid - upper 700's). I guess I'll give them their full 10 business days and then try to contact them.

Although I'm going for the studio, and theres probably a lot more people going for the studio than the two bedrooms.
Anyways, its great that you got approved and called in for the apt dishwasher.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Maybe I'm using the wrong credit agency to see my credit score because certain things I applied for don't even show up in the inquiry section and that was items for the last year - very strange.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 PM

74 posts, read 170,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PintsUBU View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread since I've received the initial post card late April. My wife and I was scheduled to stop by on May 9th but we called and schedule to dropped off the paper work on May 2nd. We still have not heard back. We also checked both of our credits and no inquires were made. Our credit score is in mid to upper 700s. Wife also called to follow up today (2weeks, their 7-10 days protocol rule) and got the generic message everyone received, "we are still processing ...."

I_Need_A_Dishwasher, would you mind sharing your log number (range is fine)? Our log number is in the 1700s.We also don't mind paying the higher rate for the 2 bedroom. Hoping to share my experience and compare your experience with the community as our timing and rooming requirements are similar.

Thanks
Our log number was in the 1500s.

We walked around the neighborhood today. Definitely not as "scary" as my in laws made it seem. I also talked to some folks, who said that parking is not usually difficult to find and they have had no issues with vandalism/break-ins. The projects are 2 blocks away, but it seems like whatever "scariness" attached to the projects stays in the projects.

As for a neighborhood vibe: Crescent street has a bar, liquor store, cafe, laundromat, and hair/nail salon within a block and a half of Q41. It's definitely not *yet* neighborhoody, but we're in early stages of gentrifying the area/building a liveable neighborhood.

Spoke to an acquaintance who lives in a luxury building on Crescent. He's married with an infant and said he's never been concerned about safety. Today convinced me that this is the right move... as the acquaintance said, "it's a no-brainer."

I don't know why or how they processed us so quickly... my credit score was passable, but borderline so I'm surprised they got back to me so quickly. We'll probably go in mid-week to take care of next step paperwork. I'll keep y'all updated!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 PM

So they only checked the household persons credit and background? Not anyone else? What else did they want you to bring in next week?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 PM

74 posts, read 170,797 times
They told me they only checked my credit.

They said I was missing paperwork, but I told him I faxed the paperwork on Tuesday. He checked and called me back and said they received it.

I asked what paperwork we need to bring in - he said nothing. I asked about employment verification and I told him that we both have letters from HR in our companies and he said to go ahead and bring those in.

It's best to have employment verification letters handy in case you get called in if you want to speed up the process.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Ok, thanks. That is so odd they didn't tell you when they showed you the empty units that you were missing paperwork because the person collecting, scanning and faxing should have verified everything before sending you on your way.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:32 PM

So both of you work, but they only check one person's income. That is so interesting.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 PM

15 posts, read 30,525 times
Default Fingers Crossed

I got a post card in April to come in and apply with the May batch for apartments. I had originally applied for a studio (I can't afford the ones in this batch), but luckily since then my BF and I are looking to move in together, and combined we meet the minimum for a 2 bedroom. It's perfect for us, he lives and works in Yonkers and I live in Woodside, so this would shave commuting time off of him. We loved the units, they are beautiful. I never would have thought we could afford something of this level. I've lived on 21st Street and Astoria Blvd before, it wasn't that bad. I often waited for the bus off of the F, and it can be intimidating to me as a young woman, but as long as you are alert you have nothing to fear- like anywhere in NYC.

I just checked my Credit Karma and saw that I have had no inquiries made though (my score is mid 700s). So I am now a little concerned. I called a few days ago and got the standard "still processing" message, but if other people can see credit checked I'm going to call again and make sure that we are all good. I was very nervous/excited when we were there, and the girl was nice, but I'm hoping it all will be fine.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 30,525 times
My log number is in the 2500s... so I guess they are maybe going in some sort of order?

I work next to our HR/Payroll department and they said they have not received anything. I'm wondering if it's to my advantage to get a verification paper and take it to the offices; or are they not accepting people in who don't have appointments?

They only checked my credit. Or at least, should, because I signed off on the paperwork for them to run mine, but my BF who got his own paperwork didn't include that page (or a few others, they only wanted to check his employment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery