Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM

43 posts, read 59,527 times

Advertisements

After months of not hearing anything, a few weeks ago q41 finally called me back and asked for additional paperwork and I signed my lease this week :-) So excited! They were flexible with move in dates, yes but only by about 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 05:21 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
Oh my goodness.

Did you already sign and what do you have to bring with you?

Did you get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and balcony? Was it a speedy process? How long is the lease for and what happens when the lease expires?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Please lemme know.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Yes I singed. It was for a studio with balcony. It has most definitely not been a speedy process. I applied maybe a year ago and got the postcard last fall I think. I went the one of the open houses early in the year and was shown model units, etc and handed in documents. But I never heard anything for months and even recieved a rejection letter early this summer. Then, in July I was called back and asked if I wanted to see a few studios. I did and then signed a floor plan as well as sent more documents. I was told I would probably move in middle of July once I was approved. Then, nothing for two months. Until the other day, they call me again and ask for more documents and a notarized form, which I brought in person. At that point, I again figured they had already given away the unit I saw in late June/ early July, but they showed me the same unit and said I could move in very soon but I didn't expect anything since it was exactly what happens before. But, sure enough, a week later the management office in the Bronx called me and asked me if I wanted to sign a lease! I got the money together but I was still not holding my breath as the process has been pretty crazy. I did sign tho this week and I move in soon!

They ask if you want to sign a 1 or 2 year lease... I signed for a 1 year as the next years rent increases have already been voted on by the rent stabilazation board and they are extremely low. I would advise that because the percentages tend to be cyclical and next years will likely be high.

When the lease expires, you have the option to renew for 1 or 2 years at the rent increase determined by the aformentioned board.

Last edited by DeluxeApartmentIntheSkyyy; 08-27-2014 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Why Didn't You Do 2 years Since it was lower and more reasonable?

Was your current landlord upset about you exiting before your lease is up?

Did they give you the keys at lease signing?

Did you try to move in later and they declined saying 30 days is the max?

Regular checks ok?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM

No, it's really hard to figure out which is better but, if you sign a 1 year lease before October 1st of this year, next year you will have the option to sign at an increase of 1% for 1 year or 2.25% for 2 years I believe. If you sign a 2 year lease this year, you don't know what the increase will be when you are given a renewal, as it has not been voted on, but it's likely to be much higher, maybe like last years which was 4% and 7.75% respectively.

Luckily, my lease is ending soon so I will only have to pay rent at both places for 1 month. And yes they said the best they can do is 1 month.

You have to bring certified bank checks or money orders for 1st month's rent and 1 month security.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Wow you sure did your homework om the rent increases. Yeah, i noticed last year was extremely high. The 7.75% for a 2 year renewal was a bit much.

Did you need to bring anything else with you? Did they mention anything about the new management?

I read reviews online and of course, both management companies got horrible reviews. I'm not surprised.

Did they give you the keys? Did you pick a move in date?

Did they say they need more paystubs when your lease expires?

Please let me know everything. You've been so helpful.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 36,007 times
Wow! Congrats everyone on signing a lease! I wish we were too. We had to call and ask and they said we have to bring in more paperwork. At first, we they said we are approved, then they say we missing stuff. They say we're definitely going to get it, but at this point, I don't believe anything until I sign a lease like everyone else. Unfortunately my current lease ends this month so we're trying to work out paying 1 more month while we wait.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM

They seem like they will be quick because there was less than 15 units and they're rushing to fill all of them as soon as possible. It's been long enough and it shouldn't take this long.

I hope the other guy answers my questions.

Did they give you a time frame of when they'll approve you?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 PM

No, you schedule your move in date at lease signing and the super gives you the keys.

From what I understand, once you are in, you're in. I asked if u will have to recertify every year and they said no. It's a rent stabilized apartment essentially after you move in. It's governed by those rules, which don't require certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery