Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times

Advertisements

i get jehovahs and esco scammers from time to time. very rarely. i don't answer my door. one of my mottos is: "no call, no answer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,344 times
Sometime ago I did manage to complain to the landlords and the door was being locked for some time. But it seems now the smoker is forgetting again.

I usually do not answer the door also. The only time I would answer my door if I am expecting packages, food deliveries or guests. They managed to snag me once or twice when I am getting the door for UPS. LOL!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM

81 posts, read 100,714 times
what other door to door sales do you guys have there? do you think they make good sales?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Nil to nothing here. Live in a secure building and therefore such annoyances are kept to a minimum.

On the rare occasions such persons do get in it often is the result of either someone buzzing them in and or they wait until someone enters and follows behind.

We have or rather had a number of elderly and lonely ladies in the building that would buzz anyone in who rang their apartment. We assumed word got around because it seemed every Chinese menu person and others *knew* which bells would gain them access. Well the older ladies died or have been moved into nursing homes and that was that.

Every now and then a tenant will let some stranger in as they enter or leave the building. A few bad incidents (packages left in front of doors went missing, etc...) caused building management to send a polite but firm letter to all advising against such things. Problem solved.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Ahhh, the joy of a doorman.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM

81 posts, read 100,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

We have or rather had a number of elderly and lonely ladies in the building that would buzz anyone in who rang their apartment. We assumed word got around because it seemed every Chinese menu person and others *knew* which bells would gain them access. Well the older ladies died or have been moved into nursing homes and that was that.
what is a Chinese menu person, Bugsypal>?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,344 times
Probably delivery people who go door to door slipping menus under each door.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:43 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
I get council members running for elections from time to time. The last one was pretty funny, because as soon as I opened the door, the guy obviously couldn't wait to move on to the next unit.

I look at his pamphlet, and it mentioned "Stopping the aggressive and unfair Columbia expansion" quite a bit. I don't go to Columbia, but I guess I look the part.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
It was getting pretty bad a year or two ago with contractors ringing my bell once a week or more who would not go away after a polite "I'm not interested". Not answering the door was not a real option because these guys would not only ring the bell but would literally bang on the door like it was an emergency and not go away. I bought a "No Soliciting" sign that I put under my doorbell. I think it has helped and if they still ring the bell I ask them if they saw the sign. They usually say they are not selling anything (of course they are selling "services" of some kind like siding). I politely say having seen the sign they are now trespassing and I ask them to leave the premises. It may be rude but so many of these guys are scammers. I don't do that to Jehovah's Witnesses however.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
It happens occasionally. More annoying are all the duplicate takeout menus slipped under the door by people who have been let into the building somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City