Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsixlofouska22 View Post
my studies are very usefull i could work as a interpreter or a teacher or study a master ..or in education and other related fields of specialization in the public and private sector. but i dont have enough money to attend a master..in europe i could find many jobs but i dont want to live here anymore..
No ... they aren't.
There are many American citizens who can do these jobs. That's the point the poster was making.

There are no "free" universities here. And teachers need professional degrees.

I commented a while back about people trying to come to the US given failing economies in Europe, Greece and Ireland in particular. I met a few people last year who explained that there were no opportunities at all in Greece, and that they thought Americans were sufficiently stupid that they could do a lot here.

This is not quite true, however. And I can warn the OP that cronyism is not such a huge thing in New York - as it is in Greece. Especially not as regards the better institutions and opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
my studies are very usefull i could work as a interpreter or a teacher or study a master ..or in education and other related fields of specialization in the public and private sector. but i dont have enough money to attend a master..in europe i could find many jobs but i dont want to live here anymore..
The economy is not good in the USA and the unemployment is high here as well. There are Americans that can do those jobs. It would be very difficult for you to get a work permit/visa for the USA.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The economy is not good in the USA and the unemployment is high here as well. There are Americans that can do those jobs. It would be very difficult for you to get a work permit/visa for the USA.
As it should be. Every day I encounter more people here who are really struggling and we need to focus our energies on assisting them. If people from Greece want more opportunities, they should refrain from supporting leadership (and their wives) who abscond with huge sums from the treasury after decades of financial corruption.

America had its own scandals and corruption and sadly, there will likely be more. Did we immediately attempt to emigrate to Greece ? Seriously.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times
Quote:
If your idea of a useful implementation is to be a teacher, to teach what you were to taught, so those students could then be teachers of the same subject, you are not useful.

Studying a subject in undergrad, just to go on study something for a masters degree also does not make your undergrad useful.

An undergraduate degree in French Literature is also not going to hold much weight as an interpreter either.

I can honestly not think of anything in the public or private sector that a degree like that would be especially useful over any other generic degree.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
Quote:

I don't think you have any idea how expensive this city is to live in and how difficult it is to find a job. We have lots of people here who have more experience and better educations than you present and they find it difficult to find a job--- I would suggest you find a job with a company in Europe that may have offices in New York City and then after some time transfer--- but even then based on your limited education and experience you probably will not make enough money to comfortably live here... PS: New York ain't that great anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City