Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I would be grateful if someone can help me with this.

I received a parking ticket in an effective street cleaning zone.

I was in the driver's seat.
The engine was off.
My buddies were unloading things from the parked truck ( they were not near the truck when I received the ticket ) I can support this with the help of the customer who I was delivering things to.

Definition of parking:
Parking. "Parking" shall mean the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise
than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading property
or passengers.

Others:
The officer pretty much ignored me and refused to communicate.
No other vehicle in the same parking prohibited zone received a ticket but me ( I'm asian )

I disputed the ticket and lost:
Decision summary:
Generally, by law, a vehicle may not park or stand in a street cleaning zone, not even for the reason indicated herein by the respondent. Therefore, having someone in the vehicle does not excuse the violation. The vehicle may not be at this location at the effective time of the regulation. No legal basis to dismiss the summons has been submitted. Accordingly, the violation is sustained. ( In exact words )

Any idea or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by zpei; 01-09-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Forget it and move on. That''s the advice.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpei View Post
Hi.

I would be grateful if someone can help me with this.

I received a parking ticket in an effective street cleaning zone.

I was in the driver's seat.
The engine was off.
My buddies were unloading things from the parked truck ( they were not near the truck when I received the ticket ) I can support this with the help of the customer who I was delivering things to.

Others:
The officer pretty much ignored me and refused to communicate.
No other vehicle in the same parking prohibited zone received a ticket but me ( I'm asian )

I disputed the ticket and lost:
Decision summary:
Generally, by law, a vehicle may not park or stand in a street cleaning zone, not even for the reason indicated herein by the respondent. Therefore, having someone in the vehicle does not excuse the violation. The vehicle may not be at this location at the effective time of the regulation. No legal basis to dismiss the summons has been submitted. Accordingly, the violation is sustained. ( In exact words )

Any idea or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What help would you like---you can read the decision summary can't you--- YOU LOSE--- just pay the ticket--- sounds like a commercial venture which is even worse . Stop playing the Asian card that probably had nothing to do with it.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
You can always kick it up to the Supreme court if everything else fails.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Well, that sucks. But you should just pay it. Isn't it only $45 or $65?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpei View Post
No other vehicle ... received a ticket but me (I'm asian)
PWA (Parking While Asian) is still less expensive the DWB (Driving While Black)

Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM

283 posts, read 434,898 times
If you really want to fight it, you could hire an attorney. There may be some basis for racial preference and some statute or precedence that could sway your case.

But then you're still out to pay the attorney. Either way, you still lose.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
As already said there is really not much to be done if you have disputed/appealed the ticket and lost.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As already said there is really not much to be done if you have disputed/appealed the ticket and lost.
Amen and good night !

Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM

283 posts, read 434,898 times
You can appeal the decision. Again, you need an attorney to navigate the process, which costs money.

What I would do is invest in a dashcam for the truck. Recording these type of events to present as evidence can hold a lot of weight in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City