Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 24,159 times

Advertisements

Please take this question with love. I am just curious to know why some people stay in NYC to struggle. Let me start off by stating I am a proud New Yorker. Born and raised in the Bronx. Family live all throughout the tri-state area , so on and so forth... I just mention that to add some sort of credibility to my question. Long story short, even with a college education, it got too expensive for me to be there, so .... Wait for it..... Wait for it..... I left. I didn't realize until I left how foreign this was to those closest to me. So I'm supposed to pinch pennies to be close to family I don't see anyway because I work and go to school 70+ hours a week? Doesn't make sense to me. So I ask, for those in my position, why be there struggling when just right outside the city, even further away in other states, you can have less stress and more time to have a life? Why do you stay? Once again if you can afford it good for you. If you just moved to NYC and trying to follow your dream so you wait tables I'm not talking to you. I am talking to people like me who have lived here forever. Am I alone in this or do you ever consider leaving? People older than me used to make it seem like moving was just so hard... News flash ! it isn't . It's 2014. Ain't nothing like the city.... As Maury would say, thats a lie. I hope some of my friends still in the city trying to look cute 24/7 racking up debt read this. You live in NYC but are you really "living" in NYC .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
A lot of ppl feel bored in those affordable mcmansion states...because they do not know how to entertain themselves...but solely depending on others for entertainment. That is why you find them enjoy crowded trains back and forth to work, lol

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talan32 View Post
Please take this question with love. I am just curious to know why some people stay in NYC to struggle. Let me start off by stating I am a proud New Yorker. Born and raised in the Bronx. Family live all throughout the tri-state area , so on and so forth... I just mention that to add some sort of credibility to my question. Long story short, even with a college education, it got too expensive for me to be there, so .... Wait for it..... Wait for it..... I left. I didn't realize until I left how foreign this was to those closest to me. So I'm supposed to pinch pennies to be close to family I don't see anyway because I work and go to school 70+ hours a week? Doesn't make sense to me. So I ask, for those in my position, why be there struggling when just right outside the city, even further away in other states, you can have less stress and more time to have a life? Why do you stay? Once again if you can afford it good for you. If you just moved to NYC and trying to follow your dream so you wait tables I'm not talking to you. I am talking to people like me who have lived here forever. Am I alone in this or do you ever consider leaving? People older than me used to make it seem like moving was just so hard... News flash ! it isn't . It's 2014. Ain't nothing like the city.... As Maury would say, thats a lie. I hope some of my friends still in the city trying to look cute 24/7 racking up debt read this. You live in NYC but are you really "living" in NYC .....
where did you move to?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Maybe people should live in a place they can afford (uptown, parts of Brooklyn/queens) and not want to live in the trendiest or places that have everything outside your doorstep. Then you can work less and pay lower rent cause of where you live and take the subway/can/buses or foot to where the action is of your choice.

Essentially the same idea you have for living even further now.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 24,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
A lot of ppl feel bored in those affordable mcmansion states...because they do not know how to entertain themselves...but solely depending on others for entertainment. That is why you find them enjoy crowded trains back and forth to work, lol

Lol !!!! I'm laughing so hard lmaoooo

Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Waiting for a job offer to leave

Quote:
I agree 100% with your post. I've been struggling for years, which wasn't bad when I was younger because money meant nothing to me. Now, that I'm older and retirement savings is non-existent (currently don't make enough to save), and financially things have not improved for me, it's very apparent that it's time to go. Plus, I'm currently working on a job that I truly dislike because of the low pay and it is so unsatisfying. However, I won't move away anywhere without a job first. I've been sending out resumes for months now but so far the right situation hasn't come through. I have faith that it will happen by this summer 2014 if not before. I've started work on tying up loose ends because I'm wrapping it up. Life doesn't have to be the nonstop struggle that it is for me here in NYC. I want to live not just exist with long commutes, shuffling on various forms of public transportation to get to work/home/entertainment, crowds, horrible traffic, expensive car insurance, alternate side parking, parking tickets, parking meters, having to park blocks from my apartment or not being able to find a parking space at all by certain times of the night, the dirty and nastiness of the city with feces and spit (spit all over sideways and stairs everywhere especially in the subway), and the high numbers of mentally ill people roaming around public places. I'm looking forward to living elsewhere again.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Affordable places in NYC means GHETTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Maybe people should live in a place they can afford (uptown, parts of Brooklyn/queens) and not want to live in the trendiest or places that have everything outside your doorstep. Then you can work less and pay lower rent cause of where you live and take the subway/can/buses or foot to where the action is of your choice.

Essentially the same idea you have for living even further now.
Affordable places in NYC are GHETTOS or barrios. You'll be paying market rent alongside most of your neighbors who are on subsidized rent, public assistance, disability, SSI, and/or drugs. In addition, most of these people have extended family members, many who are unemployed/unemployable living with them which quadruples the population of the building or dwelling. Police sirens all times of the day and night. Having to walk through swarms of people just "hangin' out" to get to your building. Summers will be a nightmare as hoards of unsupervised children, rowdy teens and drunk-high-or ghetto-minded adults will hang outside all night being loud and playing music for the block. In order to get a decent place to live in NYC you're forced to live where the rent is extremely high. It has to be to price-out the low-brow element.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Affordable places in NYC are GHETTOS or barrios. You'll be paying market rent alongside most of your neighbors who are on subsidized rent, public assistance, disability, SSI, and/or drugs. In addition, most of these people have extended family members, many who are unemployed/unemployable living with them which quadruples the population of the building or dwelling. Police sirens all times of the day and night. Having to walk through swarms of people just "hangin' out" to get to your building. Summers will be a nightmare as hoards of unsupervised children, rowdy teens and drunk-high-or ghetto-minded adults will hang outside all night being loud and playing music for the block. In order to get a decent place to live in NYC you're forced to live where the rent is extremely high. It has to be to price-out the low-brow element.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by affordable. Everyone defines it differently.

As to the OP's question, I do think change is significantly harder for some than others. It can be daunting to think about moving to an unknown place. What if you pick up and move everything to start over and you hate it? What if you miss being near your family? What if you can't find a job in the new location or the job you got that made you move doesn't work out?

I would imagine these are some of the questions and obstacles that people face when thinking about moving.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
My wife and i live in a $1300 a month almost 900sf 2br apt, work around 35-45hrs a week each, make around 85-90k, save 20k a yr and get to enjoy many things in manhattan and globally (korea, paris and hawaii trips are booked for this yr). For some people (myself included) we dont live in a ghetto, while to others it might be cause spanish/black people live here. L/M train stop myrtle wycoff, 1.5blocks from subway, puts us only 22mins to union square. We dont hang around here cause everything we are involved with is in manhattan and carrying shopping bags from trader joes 14st/3ave is not a big deal.

My point is we could live someplace "nicer" but then we would be stressed out with affording it, thus having to work more hrs and getting more stress. Each person chooses how they want to live and knowing how to live within your means is the most important.

Then again i grew up in the projects and slept like a baby with gunshots 24/7 so maybe that helps fuel my weird mindset lol.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM

77 posts, read 133,821 times
Quote:
Some people are quite fine and happy making ends meet with limited (even very limited) resources. Many of those people, I would wager, are more than happy to accept the quality-of-life trade-offs here in consideration of the pro's of living in one of the world's most vibrant cities. It's the folks who expect a higher quality-of-life than their income allows, who make the most noise. Generally because to them, "struggling" here in terms of income makes them very unhappy.

I don't fit in the struggling category, but I'm curious to see some of the answers to this. I've moved around significantly in my life and the idea of staying stuck in a place that I hate/can't make it in, seems so incredibly silly to me given how short your life is. "But I can't afford to move!" also seems like a rather lame excuse considering that the same people claiming that they can't afford to relocate from New York, are also often the ones complaining the most about how expensive the city is

I personally think some people should pop out fewer babies or alter their spending priorities if they hate it here so much and can't either afford to live here or afford to move, but I'm sure that will get me labeled as a heartless you-know-what.

Again, curious to see the responses...

Last edited by HK10019; 01-15-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City