Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,941 times

Advertisements

Hi! i am getting married this summer and me and my fiance will be moving to riverdale for quite a few reasons. I have a few questions for you!

1) i wanted to know what the timing of finding an apartment is like? if i want to move in may 1st, should i be looking mid march or early april or late april?

2) I am trying to go the no broker route to save money, I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, elevator and laundry essential but other amenities only if we can afford it. Budget is at $1800 a month including parking. (Need a parking spot) Would prefer to spend somewhere around $1600, but $1800 is the max. Any building ideas? I am looking for buildings between 231st to 247th st from the hudson until the border of riverdale and kingsbridge. I know of the whitehall building but i think it might be too steep for us. I also know of hayden on the hudson and hudson manor terrace. Any type of help regarding where to look without using a broker or names of various buildings that meet the criteria would be excellent!

3) I know most apartments are co-ops and require board approval. We are both in our early-mid twenties and graduate students. Our parents are supporting us (only housing) until we get our degrees and then we will be paying them back. (Much cheaper then loans, no interest). Will this be a problem for co-op boards? i know the guarantor information and 80x the rent and all that but in terms of us being graduate students in our mid to early twenties do co-ops have a problem with this?

Thank you all for your help i really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Buy the Riverdale Press. Has every building and real estate agent in the area. Comes out every Wed or Tuesday.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
It depends upon the board, actually, as to the difficulty in qualifying. Some are friendly, and don't have rigid restrictions on rentals, while others tend to be a bit picky. You need a broker who knows the neighborhood to better represent your interests. However, there are a number of multi-family buildings in Riverdale, too, such that you may find it easier to deal with an individual owner/manager as opposed to a management company or co-op board that has specific guidelines that they must follow.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,941 times
Thank you for your help so far guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: