Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM

260 posts, read 433,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Maybe it's because Bay Ridge is not historically a very Jewish area, but I have noticed that most Russians I know from there are Slavic Russians/Former Soviet and not Jewish, and especially came very recently. Many are young and on tourist or work visas.

Then in Queens there's a totally different former Soviet population of Bukharan Jews, who live around Rego Park/Forest Hills area mostly, and also came in the 1990's, I think.
Well, it was much easier for Russian Jews to emigrate than for the Slavic Russians. Jews were given refugee status generally, which is how so many were able to come.
Slavic Russians on the other hand have to find employment in the US, unless they are lucky enough to win the green card lottery.

The Queens Bukharian population is indeed much different from the Brooklyn Russian-speaking community. They mostly came in the late 80s and 90s.

There are a lot of Central Asians moving into Brighton and Sheepshead Bay, but they are not Bukharian. Mostly Muslim, and most can speak Russian. They're mostly from Uzbekistan, and have become very noticeable in the past couple of years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
From 1970-1988, 126,000 Soviet Jews came to the US. You stated this previously. However, from 1989-2006, 325,000 Soviet Jews came to the US.

Most of the real Jews were gone by 1973. Those who simply stated they were Jews did so for economic reasons as it was an automatic out. The US gov't didn't know any better and once they were in the US, they basically got refugee status. The early Russians got a better welfare system than anyone else because of the value of the PR gains the US got when these people wrote home on how much better their lives were.

Of course the number jumped up dramatically (but only for a few years). It was a one way ticket to get rid of people from a failed country. Plus the US also found out that Russia was emptying its prisons into the US by the late 90's and by the the 2000's the numbers of Russians allowed into the US was in the single digits as a percentage of those who left.

1990s Post-Soviet aliyah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Most of the real Jews were gone by 1973. Those who simply stated they were Jews did so for economic reasons as it was an automatic out. The US gov't didn't know any better and once they were in the US, they basically got refugee status. The early Russians got a better welfare system than anyone else because of the value of the PR gains the US got when these people wrote home on how much better their lives were.

Of course the number jumped up dramatically (but only for a few years). It was a one way ticket to get rid of people from a failed country. Plus the US also found out that Russia was emptying its prisons into the US by the late 90's and by the the 2000's the numbers of Russians allowed into the US was in the single digits as a percentage of those who left.

1990s Post-Soviet aliyah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is untrue. I know plenty of real Russian Jews who came after the 70s. There were plenty of families in which only one spouse was Jewish. But the numbers were mostly correct that I posted previously.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,295 times
Quote:
Yes, the Russian population started in Brighton Beach and spread outward.

It didn't hit Bensonhurst/Midwood/Bay Ridge areas until around 1995 or so. It hit Sheepshead and Kings Hwy. a little earlier, I think.

Basically any area in South Brooklyn that has white ethnics and which isn't Hasidic Jewish will have a decent-sized Russian population.
There are no Russians in Dyker Heights.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
There are no Russians in Dyker Heights.
True, I forgot about Dyker. But adjacent areas all have Russians (so south of 86th, east towards Bensonhurst, west towards Bay Ridge).

The very heart of Dyker is still mostly Italian, I think, maybe with a bit of Greek? North of Dyker is more Chinese, but some Russian.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Where is this "Russian block" located in Kensington exactly?
Southern part. It might not be majority Russian, I haven't done a census. My building certainly is.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
This is untrue. I know plenty of real Russian Jews who came after the 70s. There were plenty of families in which only one spouse was Jewish. But the numbers were mostly correct that I posted previously.
Plenty is not most. In all of these area's in this part of Bklyn were any new synagogues built to handle this massive jump of Jews? Were any expanded?

BTW: Google my handle, its a city in a certain country. Then you'll know what languages I also speak fluently.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
Quote:
Plenty is not most. In all of these area's in this part of Bklyn were any new synagogues built to handle this massive jump of Jews? Were any expanded?
Influx of former Soviets does not mean influx of religious Jews. They're not the same thing. If anything, if I can generalize, the heavily religious Jewish communities in South Brooklyn are not former Soviet.

And most Brooklyn former Soviets came in the 1990's. In the 1970's, the population was very small. Unless you were around Brighton Beach, you wouldn't even know the population.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:

BTW: Google my handle, its a city in a certain country. Then you'll know what languages I also speak fluently.
I was already aware of where that city is.

The Soviet Jews are not a very religious bunch. In Brighton, they generally replaced older generations of Jews, so no need for new synagogues. Many of the Russian Jews I went to high school with never even had bar mitzvahs, just as I had not. I've stepped inside a synagogue just a few times in my life.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Influx of former Soviets does not mean influx of religious Jews. They're not the same thing. If anything, if I can generalize, the heavily religious Jewish communities in South Brooklyn are not former Soviet.

And most Brooklyn former Soviets came in the 1990's. In the 1970's, the population was very small. Unless you were around Brighton Beach, you wouldn't even know the population.
Sorry to tell you, but these neighborhoods had Jews for decades all the way back to when BB was a large Bungalow colony. BB was made up of pre WW2 soviets and poles. The Orthodox Jews did not live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City