Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM

383 posts, read 1,590,461 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am visiting New York for five days in two weeks. I'll be trying to spend as little as possible whilst I'm there. My hotel and flight have already been paid for and I'm thinking of bringing about $300 with me for the whole stay ($70 a day). I will be eating out for lunch and mostly dinner, but I'm not planning on spending my time shopping. Do you think my budget is reasonable?

Thanks,

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
I could certainly do it, but it depends on your tastes and your plans. I'd suggest starting by splurging on a guidebook or two, and thinking ahead to plan what you'd like to do. For instance, if food is important to you, plan ahead for any bargains at good restaurants. If museums are important to you, plan ahead to aim for their freebie times.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I could certainly do it, but it depends on your tastes and your plans. I'd suggest starting by splurging on a guidebook or two, and thinking ahead to plan what you'd like to do. For instance, if food is important to you, plan ahead for any bargains at good restaurants. If museums are important to you, plan ahead to aim for their freebie times.
Cheers for the tip Cida. I'll be staying in a hotel in New Jersey close to where my friend lives so I guess the temptation of spending money there won't be as big as compared to staying in Manhattan. Breakfasts are provided in the hotel, so that should also save me some dollars.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,932 times
$70 is good depending on what you plan to do everyday. If staying in NJ and you plan to include that $70 a day with everything included don't forget to include not just lunch and dinner in that budget. If you plan to go into New York (you mention staying in NJ) do not forget to include transportation costs into the city as well.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
Theres plenty of $1 pizzas places in the city, halal trucks/street meat for $4-$8 depending on what you get. Ghetto Chinese/Take Out, you can get some salads at hale and hearty that will fill you up for 2 meals around $8-$13, etc.

Most importantly is what do you want to do here in NYC?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Doesn't sound like much fun...NYC on $70 a day...

Old 01-31-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Theres plenty of $1 pizzas places in the city, halal trucks/street meat for $4-$8 depending on what you get. Ghetto Chinese/Take Out, you can get some salads at hale and hearty that will fill you up for 2 meals around $8-$13, etc.

Most importantly is what do you want to do here in NYC?
Thank you silverbullnyc! I just want to do the standard touristy must-sees really... Times Square, Empire State Building, Central Park etc.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Doesn't sound like much fun...NYC on $70 a day...
I guess I'll be happy as long as I'm in New York, even if it's on a low budget. It's been a dream of mine ever since I can remember and now I've finally got the opportunity to go there to visit a friend who lives there. I'm a student, so my budget is not very high.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Just google NYC on a budget, or NYC on the cheap. There are plenty of guides that show you where to get things cheaply. Like Cheap things to do in NYC: Your guide to bargains in Gotham

FYI, some tourist attractions are very cheap or free (like Central Park) but others are quite expensive. I took a relative to the Top of the Rock recently and I was surprised by how pricey it was. I believe Empire State Building is also not cheap, but you can easily look that up.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Thank you silverbullnyc! I just want to do the standard touristy must-sees really... Times Square, Empire State Building, Central Park etc.
Use your feet and if transportation is needed remember subway to bus transfers are free for 2hrs. You can easily walk up 5ave from Union Square to Empire St building then walk to times square via broadway. You can also keep on walking to 58st where central park begins. To some people 5 blocks is like a mission lol. This is NYC and walking is a part of life and one of the best ways around.

Dont listen to people who say you cant survive on $70 a day for a week especially since you got travel/staying already covered.

Seriously dude private message me when you're in town and if youre legal and interested ingoing to one of best clubs in nyc called CIELO in meatpacking district, we have been open 11yrs with numerous awards. I will make it free for you plus a guest on one of my nights which are Fridays and Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City