Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of Charter Schools?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 39 43.82%
Undecided 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM

115 posts, read 306,768 times

Advertisements

I am against charter schools for all the reasons that other posters in this thread gave, so I won't repeat anything that hasn't been already said.

But last week, I found a job posting so disturbing that I found another reason to hate charter schools. This certain charter school was looking for someone to teach summer school for $7.50 an hour. But they didn't word it that way in the ad. They thought they were being clever by saying the hours were Mon-Fri 11:45-5:45PM, for $225 a week. Anyone with half a brain could have worked that out and saw how much the job really paid. And of course they wanted experience, a master's degree and a valid teaching certificate. Really?

Serious question for all the parents, would you really want your child's teacher to be making minimum wage? I can't see how anyone of quality would take that job.

I mean really...for that kind of money, I'd rather have a McJob, pushing buttons at a cash register all day. And people wonder why I still wait tables for a living. I will not EVER apply to a charter school, no matter how desperate I get for a teaching job. I feel sorry for all the young, naive education graduates that get stuck working in one out of desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
I mean really...for that kind of money, I'd rather have a McJob, pushing buttons at a cash register all day. And people wonder why I still wait tables for a living. I will not EVER apply to a charter school, no matter how desperate I get for a teaching job. I feel sorry for all the young, naive education graduates that get stuck working in one out of desperation.
I'd feel more sorry if that Masters educated teacher worked at a McJob. Better that they be employed in a position that will help kids and further their experience rather than be greased up after clogging people's arteries

Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM

115 posts, read 306,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'd feel more sorry if that Masters educated teacher worked at a McJob. Better that they be employed in a position that will help kids and further their experience rather than be greased up after clogging people's arteries
Should I have said a retail job then? I think you missed the point. There is something wrong with the fact that a teaching job pays the same as fast food or retail. At least a fast food or retail worker might have time to find a second part-time job to supplement their income. A teacher would not have the time with all the lesson planning and paperwork they have. It's ok, to eat they can just apply for food stamps on that income.

Gaining experience and helping children are good things, but they do not pay the bills.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
Should I have said a retail job then? I think you missed the point. There is something wrong with the fact that a teaching job pays the same as fast food or retail. At least a fast food or retail worker might have time to find a second part-time job to supplement their income. A teacher would not have the time with all the lesson planning and paperwork they have. It's ok, to eat they can just apply for food stamps on that income.

Gaining experience and helping children are good things, but they do not pay the bills.
Yes, there is a lot fundamentally wrong with teachers not being valued financially in society. It is, however, a part of a free market system which ultimately we all benefit from. I don't know what school it was offering $225 pay per week for summer school instruction, but most likely it cannot afford to pay more. That is a very low pay, and if it's too low they won't find anyone to fill the position and they will either have to find more money or not have a program for the kids. Obviously they need to require high standards on their part, and if they can find people like to actually apply it means that those people cannot find work even with their advanced education. In such an unfortunate situation, yes I think taking that job is better than a random retail position. Those applicants would not be any better off if the charter school didn't exist

Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 AM

125 posts, read 115,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes, there is a lot fundamentally wrong with teachers not being valued financially in society. It is, however, a part of a free market system which ultimately we all benefit from. I don't know what school it was offering $225 pay per week for summer school instruction, but most likely it cannot afford to pay more. That is a very low pay, and if it's too low they won't find anyone to fill the position and they will either have to find more money or not have a program for the kids. Obviously they need to require high standards on their part, and if they can find people like to actually apply it means that those people cannot find work even with their advanced education. In such an unfortunate situation, yes I think taking that job is better than a random retail position. Those applicants would not be any better off if the charter school didn't exist
YES they would be better off because in a Public school then they would have UNION backing and would be PAID what they are worth. its RIDICULOUS for people to go thru all the trouble of getting a MASTERS degree and then go to work and make the same money as a McDs worker (or a retail cashier) dont make no sense

and the fact that you want the PUBLIC to subsidize your PRIVATE school at the cost of these poor children and these poor TEACHERS is disgusting ,hypocritical and dishonest,just pay your OWN way

THIEF

Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand4 View Post
YES they would be better off because
no actually they would be unemployed

Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM

NO they would NOT be UNEMPLOYED there are PUBLIC SCHOOLS who are ready willing and able to pay them what they are WORTH if there were no Charter schools all teachers would be paid the same cuz they all be in a UNION that was one of the points of creating Unions in the first place... so aristocrats like YOU cant get away with paying slave wages
you prolly dont pay the nanny minimum wage either

also these Master degree teachers would be better off working retail or Mcjob than taking on the responsibility of other ppls children cuz they can be sued if something happen to the brats in their care mostly because greedy thieves like yourself would happily sue the teacher if ya kid fell down and bruised his knee and then they have to pay legal fees in addition to student loans all so your brat can have a private education? I dont think so
YOU sir are a TAKER... and dont care about anyone but yourself and your bottom line
PAY YOUR OWN WAY

Old 03-21-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
NO they would NOT be UNEMPLOYED
Yes, they would be unemployed. The DOE does not hire extra teachers for summer school, they assign existing ones who get additional pay. The public Charter Schools are able to hire temporary teachers for summer or after school, as an example. Those teachers would otherwise be unemployed during that period or flipping burgers

Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 AM

well they may as well go get a JOB at Mcdonalds then
they be better off there than taking a job babysitting your brats for minimum wage duhhh

If Charter schools so swell why cant they afford to pay the teacher a usual and customary wage then?
for 7.25 hourly charters should be directing their recruitment efforts toward Summer Youth Employment Program and get a 14 year old to watch their spoiled brats for them as the prior poster quite eloquently said

Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
If Charter schools so swell why cant they afford to pay the teacher a usual and customary wage then?
They do, full time teachers at public charter schools get pretty much the same pay as public DOE school teachers. If they only offered minimum wage then they would have no teachers and could not stay open and renew their charter. That's how a market economy is supposed to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City