Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
You are touching on another subject. I know quite a few people that used NYC addresses from Long Island and Westchester where their children were educated for the most part to get into Specialized high schools. I always wondered how they got away with that. Don't they consider that the child went to school in those counties for 7 years before they are spending the 8th year in NYC?
NYC DOE knows there is a huge problem both at elementary and high school level with "cheating" to get children placed into a desired school. Some schools like P.S. 6 do extensive checking to make sure a student is zoned correctly, but often things become murky even if a student is found "not to belong".

IIRC NYC has always found they didn't want to "hurt" a child by removing them from a school even if it is found they aren't supposed to be there. There is also the thing that once a child is admitted to his or her zoned school they cannot be forced to switch even if the family moves out of district. Many parents will take an apartment in Tribeca, the Village, UWS, UES or where there is a great zoned elementary school. Once their child in enrolled the family may stay for a year or so then move, but the kid remains.

Historically P.S 6 had more than a few children of supers, doormen and others employed in those UES "white glove" buildings. Their father's simply used their "work" address as home address.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I was actually referring to Asian Americans who grew up in more affluent neighborhoods in the suburbs and did not attend specialized NYC schools. Believe they are what carib pointed to as being more well rounded than recent immigrants.

I was not aware that there were those who used NYC addresses to game the residency requirements but those situations are not what I was talking about.
Thanks for clarifying that you were not stating this. I'm stating this and I should have stated that, for me your post touched on another situation that I know truly exist.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
all these people speaking for the asians.
really? you know some asian immigrants
personally? do they live next to you?
I'm a first gen asian american from poor immigrant chinese parents so I think I am qualified to talk about this subject.

My poor immigrant tiger parents drove it into my mind to succeed from an early age. My parents came penniless to america.. we lived in crime-ridden Wycoff/bushwick in the late seventies, and eventually after years of struggle they succeeded enough to move to Great Neck where I had a top notch suburban education.

I personally am a financially sucessful doctor so it all paid off.

If it makes any of you asian haters out there feel any better... my second generation asian-american son will probably be just as lazy and stupid as any other american, since he will not experience the struggle I did growing up.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm a first gen asian american from poor immigrant chinese parents so I think I am qualified to talk about this subject.

My poor immigrant tiger parents drove it into my mind to succeed from an early age. My parents came penniless to america.. we lived in crime-ridden Wycoff/bushwick in the late seventies, and eventually after years of struggle they succeeded enough to move to Great Neck where I had a top notch suburban education.

I personally am a financially sucessful doctor so it all paid off.

If it makes any of you asian haters out there feel any better... my second generation asian-american son will probably be just as lazy and stupid as any other american, since he will not experience the struggle I did growing up.
Nooooo!!! It is your responsibility to keep your parents' legacy going by instilling the same values on your kids!

Jk it is not for me to tell you what to do, but personally I am happy when I see people work hard and succeed, and teach the same values to their children.

Remember people hate on successful people. Misery loves company and all that. That's where this thread started

Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Indeed the NYT had an article about the problems of heroine addition in Vermont, which is one of teh whitest states in this country.
Yet Vermont has one of the lowest crime rates out there and some of the highest graduation rates out there. For someone with such a valuable MBA you should realize that the NYT was strictly trying to make money off of a politicians statement. One thing for sure is that Vermonters probably can't dance.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:30 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If not Hispanic, chances are Jose Rodriguez is Asian.
In a hundred years most of the world will be Asian/Asian-combo and the question will be: What percentage of Asian are you?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
In a hundred years most of the world will be Asian/Asian-combo and the question will be: What percentage of Asian are you?
Only 50%, so I'm not that smart.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM

8,696 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Quote:
that depends on which application you will fill out. I remember my high school classmate friend of mines who was 1/4 African American. He claimed AA on his application & got into yale. He had no snowball chance in hell getting in if he put Caucasian...of course things may changed since my high school days

Old 03-12-2014, 03:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And putting people into environments where they can't succeed, just because doing so makes it look "diverse".

The people who will suffer most if they are put into one of these schools, only for diversity purposes, will be those who people pretend to help.

Indeed the best way to help them is by improving the standards of education in the ENTIRE system and doing the best possible to improve parental involvement. Many people who didnt go to Stuy do well in life, so I dont know why the "all or nothing" angst.
Yes, good post. Like I said earlier, I didn't go to any of the specialized high schools but that didn't mean a thing when it came to college. I do admit that I felt a bit bad when people asked what high school I had attended (I attended a college prep program within a BAD high school that was rife with gangs, teen pregnancies, teacher and student assaults, etc.)

I also agree that forced diversity for diversity's sake never works. Instead of focusing on why the specialized high schools don't have enough Black and Hispanic students, said students should be encouraged to excel period and if they happen to be able to make it into the elite schools, then great. If not, there are many other good schools out there that will give a good education and admission into some of the best colleges.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
The immigrant drive mentality isn't the province of just Asians. First gens of many cultures, including African, Hispanic/Latin American, Middle Eastern etc. instill a similar drive. My father is an immigrant who came here with limited English and lived in ungentified Brooklyn while attending college to be an engineer. He was definitely a hard ass about education (and so was my mom, for that matter), so I guess I let him down in that respect by not finishing college. I did make up for that by being successful, despite that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City