Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tell me about it. Maybe I should just move my family into my father's house - I can save $1500 a month easy. but nahh, I like slamming my front door. Lol.
I'd have to say once you move out there's no going back. The only circumstance for me to ever live with them again is if they couldn't take care of themselves any longer and somehow me taking care of them becomes the best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I purposely want to continue living with my parents till I'm 26/27 so I can save enough to own property here. All I need is a mid condo for me. I'll save the house with a big yard when I have a new family.
That's good. What finally got me to move out was the girlfriend. Actually she had her own place and I kinda just crashed over her place one night and that was the end of living at home. I guess I was lucky to find someone who didn't think I was a momma's boy by living at home . But all women become pleasantly surprised once they find out a guy has $$$ saved up in the bank.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
That's good. What finally got me to move out was the girlfriend. Actually she had her own place and I kinda just crashed over her place one night and that was the end of living at home. I guess I was lucky to find someone who didn't think I was a momma's boy by living at home . But all women become pleasantly surprised once they find out a guy has $$$ saved up in the bank.
A man shouldn't really be with a women who will make him broke which is why I left my last girlfriend. She's from the hood and had that blow money fast stereotypical lifestyle. It was a hell on earth relationship and I have never looked back lol. At least the girls I meet in manhattan are very independent and have some type of pride in themselves lol.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have to say that the local educated urban raised millennial are vastly different than the educated millennial Transplant from suburbia. What sucks is that this article only recognizes the suburban millennial.
Repped. These articles present a very twisted vision of NYC and other major cities.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
A man shouldn't really be with a women who will make him broke which is why I left my last girlfriend. She's from the hood and had that blow money fast stereotypical lifestyle. It was a hell on earth relationship and I have never looked back lol. At least the girls I meet in manhattan are very independent and have some type of pride in themselves lol.
That kind of woman is just a lame prostitute and the guy himself is a sucker for letting himself get played like that. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, and certainly not to someone who is basically street trash.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Don't see how that could be true. NYC has a stagnant economy and is brutally competitive. Truthfully this is place most millenials dreams die.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Millennials is a daft name. Sounds like people born in the few years around 2000 - who'd be 12-16 at the moment.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have to say that the local educated urban raised millennial are vastly different than the educated millennial Transplant from suburbia. What sucks is that this article only recognizes the suburban millennial.
So where do you think the urban-raised millennials go?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Repped. These articles present a very twisted vision of NYC and other major cities.
It would be interesting to hear more about the perspective of the Millennial generation raised in inner cities. Here's a comical perspective from Gawker.

Black People Moving to Suburbs as White People Move to Cities

Then there's this perspective from someone raised in Detroit.

Quote:
I did not grow up in the suburbs. I grew up in Detroit, albeit in a solidly stable, black middle class environment. As a child, I never saw the suburbs as a place of stultifying soullessness or oppressive homogeneity. I guess you have to grow up in them to view them that way. I always viewed the suburbs as the other side of the new Wall, an escape from the messiness of the city. I grew up a half mile from Eight Mile Road, Detroit’s northern boundary, and in the ’70s the differences between my side and the other side were pretty stark. They still are.
Why is urbanism so white? | City Notes

Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So where do you think the urban-raised millennials go?
Good question? To the burbs, that's what I know as a New Yorker. Most of my fellow millnnials that were raised here left the city, most live in Florida and a couple live in NC. One or two live in outside in the NYC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City