Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 PM

18 posts, read 29,670 times

Advertisements

This may be a question better suited for the "city vs city" or "general us" forum but I wanted New Yorker's opinions and also this sub-forum probably gets more traffic. This is my first post on this website.

I know other cities resent being compared to NY and there is no other city completely similar to it in the world (maybe london) I'm just trying to create a rough comparison.

I'm a New Yorker born and raised. I spent my early life on the LES but my formative years were spent in Staten Island. My parents both grew up in Alphabet City/LES/East Village area. That was the real hipster neighborhood. It was grungy, a bit dangerous, had a diverse community, and a real arts scene. And the coolest part was a struggling young musician or artist or just young kid new to the city could afford to live there and not share a 2 bedroom with 5 other people. The apartment I was born in on Avenue A was a 2 bedroom we paid $750 for in 1995. Today that same apartment in that same building goes for $3500 + and it isn't even a nice building. It's completely unaffordable, and while a lot of people come to New York to make it..they can't actually afford to live here, even areas that I was told *never* to go to or even take the train through as a kid, like Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights are now getting over $2000 for a studio or 1 bed. But I'm rambling, what I'm asking is what city in America has good diversity, transport, a genuine (not yuppie hipster-fied) arts and music scene and is still affordable that a low wage person (like a young artist or musician or something) could afford to live alone and still be in or near the action. Philly? Chicago? Boston? LA? I don't live in the USA (I live in Germany but I've been bouncing around Europe since I left college) anymore but I'm curious to the opinion who are still in America..
What city evokes the vibe of artsy dirty 1960's/70's NY the most? I'm talking about the New York of Andy Warhol and Lou Reed or even like the NY in the movie Rent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Philly is dirty, crime-ridden and more affordable, while still having plenty to-do. So it evokes some of "old ny".

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Transplants, yuppies, suburbs and strip malls will kill just about anything. The liberal progressive mindset.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
The apartment I was born in on Avenue A was a 2 bedroom we paid $750 for in 1995. Today that same apartment in that same building goes for $3500 + and it isn't even a nice building.
Lol this city is an absurd place, as are the people in it. Myself included...

Old 05-26-2014, 12:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
You want to see what Alphabet City used to look like, you're talking parts of Camden or Detroit. War zone, complete with burned out and fallen-down structures.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:57 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
I have heard that there is cheap housing and a somewhat interesting art and music scene in parts of Detroit. Used to live in the city yaers ago and I haven't been back recently, but honestly that this exists it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Alot of my music friends have left to Berlin over the past 10yrs and have become quite successful.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Alot of my music friends have left to Berlin over the past 10yrs and have become quite successful.
Berlin, of course, is an even more dramatic story of gentrification in a lot of the former East German parts of the city.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM

18 posts, read 29,670 times
I live in Berlin lol. It's an amazing city and the great part is it's still really cheap. I pay less than €600 for a beautiful renovated 2 bed in a historic building. However, I'm American and whilst I speak German. I miss being able to live in English, I miss America, I miss football, and I miss my family (who has mostly migrated to south Florida which I wouldn't lie in for a million dollars)

Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYerinKreuzberg View Post
This may be a question better suited for the "city vs city" or "general us" forum but I wanted New Yorker's opinions and also this sub-forum probably gets more traffic. This is my first post on this website.

I know other cities resent being compared to NY and there is no other city completely similar to it in the world (maybe london) I'm just trying to create a rough comparison.

I'm a New Yorker born and raised. I spent my early life on the LES but my formative years were spent in Staten Island. My parents both grew up in Alphabet City/LES/East Village area. That was the real hipster neighborhood. It was grungy, a bit dangerous, had a diverse community, and a real arts scene. And the coolest part was a struggling young musician or artist or just young kid new to the city could afford to live there and not share a 2 bedroom with 5 other people. The apartment I was born in on Avenue A was a 2 bedroom we paid $750 for in 1995. Today that same apartment in that same building goes for $3500 + and it isn't even a nice building. It's completely unaffordable, and while a lot of people come to New York to make it..they can't actually afford to live here, even areas that I was told *never* to go to or even take the train through as a kid, like Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights are now getting over $2000 for a studio or 1 bed. But I'm rambling, what I'm asking is what city in America has good diversity, transport, a genuine (not yuppie hipster-fied) arts and music scene and is still affordable that a low wage person (like a young artist or musician or something) could afford to live alone and still be in or near the action. Philly? Chicago? Boston? LA? I don't live in the USA (I live in Germany but I've been bouncing around Europe since I left college) anymore but I'm curious to the opinion who are still in America..
What city evokes the vibe of artsy dirty 1960's/70's NY the most? I'm talking about the New York of Andy Warhol and Lou Reed or even like the NY in the movie Rent...

Easy go to 26st between third and lex and there is a little actual sidestreet alley that connects the two blocks by an old walk up built in the mid 1800s. Like a time warp, the alley actually has a street sign if you look close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City