Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

I was never a big fan of Crumbs and only stopped in occasionally, so I can't say that I'll really miss them.
In the past year they seemed to opening up really fast, all over Manhattan at least, so I guess the combination of too many stores and not enough customers for sickeningly sweet $5 cupcakes and overpriced mediocre brownies put an end to them.

4 Reasons Why Crumbs Bake Shop Closed - Business Insider

Too bad we can't get a resurgence of the mom-and-pop bakeries that used to dot the West Side and Harlem, and everywhere else in the city too I guess. They are few and far between now. The rent is too damn high!

Anybody's guess what the next junk food fad will be? Or how long it will last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I had Crumbs once or twice and they were ok, but seemed more like a candy bar with a little cake underneath. The next junk food fad with be ice cream infused with alcohol.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I was never a big fan of Crumbs and only stopped in occasionally, so I can't say that I'll really miss them.
In the past year they seemed to opening up really fast, all over Manhattan at least, so I guess the combination of too many stores and not enough customers for sickeningly sweet $5 cupcakes and overpriced mediocre brownies put an end to them.

Too bad we can't get a resurgence of the mom-and-pop bakeries that used to dot the West Side and Harlem, and everywhere else in the city too I guess. They are few and far between now. The rent is too damn high!

Every so often trends change. If I remember correctly a decade ago frozen yogurt was the popular desert for trendy types but then that was replaced by the cupcake thanks to Sex and the City which popularized the snack into faddish desert. Cupcakes had a good run and I'm glad the age of the cupcake has come and gone. Even analysts have noted that cupcakes are on the decline. I wonder what will be the next trend setting snack? A 5 dollar gluten free chocolate chip jumbo cookie?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 PM

72 posts, read 127,502 times
I remember back in the 80s it was the fresh baked cookies. Remember the Mrs. Field's and the David's cookie shops? Maybe cookies will make a retro comeback like Aviator sunglasses.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoNYC View Post
I remember back in the 80s it was the fresh baked cookies. Remember the Mrs. Field's and the David's cookie shops? Maybe cookies will make a retro comeback like Aviator sunglasses.
There is a fresh baked cookie place that even delivers on Second Avenue and East 83rd (Insomnia Cookies) and they are doing very well.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Every so often trends change. If I remember correctly a decade ago frozen yogurt was the popular desert for trendy types but then that was replaced by the cupcake thanks to Sex and the City which popularized the snack into faddish desert. Cupcakes had a good run and I'm glad the age of the cupcake has come and gone. Even analysts have noted that cupcakes are on the decline. I wonder what will be the next trend setting snack? A 5 dollar gluten free chocolate chip jumbo cookie?
Froyo places are all over NYC in particular Manhattan and more keep popping up daily. When an older/interesting store goes out of business one of three things most always occupies the space; a bank, frozen yoghurt, or nail salon.

http://nowitsa****ingfroyoplace.tumblr.com/

Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

These fads overtake the market which makes these business to be nothing special anymore. I've had Crumbs twice--I thought they were just meh and very over priced. I get that the rents are high but paying almost $5 for a cupcake is insane. Their deliver charge to LIC was outrageous.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
These were mediocre cupcakes.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There is a fresh baked cookie place that even delivers on Second Avenue and East 83rd (Insomnia Cookies) and they are doing very well.

There are a bunch of those. It's more ore less a chain at this point.

https://insomniacookies.com/shopping/page/about-us

Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Never understood the cupcake craze.... but I don't get a lot of food fads which try to reinvent the wheel. When I think of cupcakes I think of kid's birthday parties which is the opposite image a lot of "boutique" bakeries are going for.

Crumbs cupcakes were way too sweet (and expensive); I'd just rather have an actual slice of cake for dessert. Plus, there were too many locations in Manhattan and not enough customers. I can make it myself for less than what trendy bakeries sell it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City