Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:30 AM

6 posts, read 10,500 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NYC in a few weeks due to a job transfer, and instinctively started looking for apartments in brooklyn assuming it's cheaper and better value than Manhattan. Based on recent trends, the rents in northwest brooklyn are rising so rapidly that I'm starting to find places in manhattan for the same price that I'm looking for in brooklyn. (Around $2500 for a 1BR when comparing Prospect Hgts to Hell's Kitchen)

Just so I can beat the devil in me tempting me to live in manhattan, I'd like some viewpoints on what benefit brooklyn offers over manhattan, assuming you can get the similar place for same price. Some of the things I read in favor of brooklyn say more relaxed pace of life, cleanliness, and diverse and friendlier people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 01:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,348,787 times
For Prospect Heights you are paying for the proximity to Prospect Park.

Historically, Hell's Kitchen hasn't been a very desirable nabe in Manhattan until somewhat recently.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 AM

19 posts, read 31,421 times
It also depends on where you work. A lot of well-paid jobs are at the Southern tip of Manhattan, the commute from some areas of Brooklyn is faster than from Hell's Kitchen.

If your have kids, you don't want your kids to go to the local school near Hell's Kitchen. Some local zoned schools in Brooklyn are much better.

Hell's kitchen is quite noisy and dirty. The other poster mentioned the access to Prospect Park is a plus for Brooklyn.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 AM

251 posts, read 342,179 times
I agree that parts of brooklyn no longer seems to make sense given the high rents. I looked at stuff there that was basically the same price as in Manhattan. That said Hell Kitchen is pretty rough in places these days, lots of urban grit and traffic. Once you get here you might find that you prefer the vibe in BK.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 AM

26 posts, read 120,749 times
I prefer the vibe of Brooklyn, not as hectic as Manhattan. If you own a car, parking is easier in Brooklyn.

I also like having that separation between my workplace (lower manhattan) and home. But yea rents are getting pretty high up there, even surpassing Manhattan in some areas.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,623,483 times
Less crowded. Just depends on what you prefer.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 10,500 times
That makes sense. I will work near wall st. and know it's just a 15 min train ride to prospect hgts. I like the idea of separating work and residence. I'll check it out in person to reassure myself that Brooklyn is worth the steep premium it's asking for these days.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 AM

542 posts, read 1,686,676 times
Hell's Kitchen is a pretty vile area, maybe that's how it got its name. There are numerous strip clubs and "peep show" clubs in the area, it's pretty dirty, smelly and lots of congestion - both pedestrian and automotive. Brooklyn is quieter, you generally get more space, more trees, open spaces...just a better quality of life overall.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Hell's Kitchen is a pretty vile area, maybe that's how it got its name. There are numerous strip clubs and "peep show" clubs in the area, it's pretty dirty, smelly and lots of congestion - both pedestrian and automotive. Brooklyn is quieter, you generally get more space, more trees, open spaces...just a better quality of life overall.
Most of the peep shows are gone and ditto most of the strip clubs. The current Hells Kitchen is a much nicer place.

Some people pay to live in places like Hells Kitchen if being within walking distance to work or other things that they do is a priority to them.

But if you really need space and trees you don't go to Brooklyn for that. You go upstate for that.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,631,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But if you really need space and trees you don't go to Brooklyn for that. You go upstate for that.
True, but Brooklyn isn't still as much of an overwhelming concrete jungle feel. More like a dense neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City