Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM

112 posts, read 131,741 times

Advertisements

I know Chicago and New York City have relatively nothing in common, but as a New Yorker, do you think you could ever relocate to Chicago? If you have lived in Chicago as a native NYC resident, what are some of the key things that you missed about NYC while in Chicago?

I am strongly considering a move to Chicago. I love my home city, but apart of me believes it may be best to move on to accept a better career opportunity, but I don't want to regret relocating. I composed a list of positive elements that Chicago has (since we already know all of the pluses about living in NYC). The positive attributes of Chicago are (drum roll please):

1. It's Far less expensive to buy and rent in Chicago.
2. Lake Michigan is downtown (looks like a beach during the summer months),
3. The food in Chicago, especially at the nicer restaurants are less expensive than in NYC (but this may vary),
4. The public transportation is elevated, and not underground (But during the winter months this may be a negative),
5. Authentic Chicago style Deep Dish pizza (then again, I kind of like thin crust because it's less calories),
6. The people tend to be friendlier,

Please feel free to add to the list:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
NEVER!!! just the name, the windy city, ugh, wind, ugh, hate it.
But no, if I ever left NY, Chicago would not even make the list. I have zero desire to ever even want to go there.....

so no, I could never see myself living in Chicago, I might as well stay here.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
7. The air is made of bullets in Chicago.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
I have been there at least 5 times and never grew to like it. So, no, if I were to leave NY, I would not put it on the list.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
We considered a move to Chicago in the past. It didn't work out, but I think I would've enjoyed living there for a few years.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 PM

520 posts, read 601,583 times
I visited Chicago a few years back and grew to like it so much that I ended up buying an investment apartment there to move into in a few years down the road. I had never felt that way about any other place in the US I've visited. I like it for all the points you mentioned. Will Chicago ever overtake my love for NYC? No. But I enjoy each respective city for its own reasons.

To add to your list:

7. Lots more small businesses/local neighborhood restaurants (due to lower rents)
8. You don't see three pharmacies, two banks, and a Starbucks on every block.
9. Tons of parks.
10. Access to waterfront (Lakefront Trail and beaches)

Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Maybe. Probably more so than most other US cities.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 AM

112 posts, read 131,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
7. The air is made of bullets in Chicago.
After reading your comment, I laughed so hard I almost chocked on my tea.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 AM

364 posts, read 708,616 times
I visited Chicago three weeks ago. I like the city, especially the downtown area, though I cannot imagine myself living there long term. I may stay for the weekends or something, if I have a place there...

Pros/Positive:
There are no garbage piled on the streets.
Less crowded.
Lots of greens/parks.
Everything is cheaper.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
I know Chicago and New York City have relatively nothing in common, but as a New Yorker, do you think you could ever relocate to Chicago? If you have lived in Chicago as a native NYC resident, what are some of the key things that you missed about NYC while in Chicago?

I am strongly considering a move to Chicago. I love my home city, but apart of me believes it may be best to move on to accept a better career opportunity, but I don't want to regret relocating. I composed a list of positive elements that Chicago has (since we already know all of the pluses about living in NYC). The positive attributes of Chicago are (drum roll please):

1. It's Far less expensive to buy and rent in Chicago.
2. Lake Michigan is downtown (looks like a beach during the summer months),
3. The food in Chicago, especially at the nicer restaurants are less expensive than in NYC (but this may vary),
4. The public transportation is elevated, and not underground (But during the winter months this may be a negative),
5. Authentic Chicago style Deep Dish pizza (then again, I kind of like thin crust because it's less calories),
6. The people tend to be friendlier,

Please feel free to add to the list:
Chicago along with San Francisco are probably the two easiest "big cities" for a native New Yorker to adjust to. I would definitely not have a problem with Chicago, the only thing that gives me pause is their weather. It's basically our weather but worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City