Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 01:52 AM

147 posts, read 162,074 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there's been a thread posted about this or not but how is that area? I drove by a few weeks ago and there was some really shady areas and some boarded up homes but being that they're building that ferris wheel and that outlet mall what do you think are the chances of it changing there for the better? Also are people really moving out there? I've been hearing how people who work downtown in Manhattan are beginning to move there for a more convenient commute to/from work. So whatsup with it over there? worth investing in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 03:36 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
They have been talking about bringing Saint George back since the 1990's, and you can see where that has gone.

Up until the 1980's St. George really was a main hub/down town of Staten Island, everything was down there. Saint George Diner, Brooklyn Union Gas office, College of Staten Island, Saint Peter's School for Girls, McKee High School, and countless other businesses which made the place. Oh and yes, the ferry was there. *LOL*

Gradually the center of life on the Rock moved out to the South Shore or at least Mid-Island. The College of SI closed their St. Campus and consolidated with Sunnyside at Willowbrook. Staten Island Hospital moved to Ocean Breeze, etc.. The result is many businesses lost customer base and as things got darker the area changed. From Victory Blvd to Richmond Terrance and along Bay Street became a hood. True there are some nice spots, but it is still mostly a hood.

Never the less persons are buying homes in Saint George especially around Saint Mark's Place and up into the hills. There are some beautiful older homes such as Victorians with fantastic views up there. Problem is you have certain elements surrounding. Daniel Low Terrace has great housing, but again look at your neighbors.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to investment properties. If and when things take off it may be too late to get in on the ground floor. Clearly persons are looking at Brooklyn in particular Williamsburg, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Red Hook and so forth and that Saint George will be the next hipster spot.

Know persons who have bought in or just around Saint George, but they are living not investing. Area was chosen because they wanted a big ole house they could afford, and was close enough to the ferry that getting into the City was not an issue. A few of them are gay and felt that part of the North Shore was more "friendly".

If you are really serious I'd contact a few local SI realtors who have worked with the area for awhile. You should also start looking at recorded sale prices for the area to see where property values are going.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-14-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
They have been talking about bringing Saint George back since the 1990's, and you can see where that has gone.

Up until the 1980's St. George really was a main hub/down town of Staten Island, everything was down there. Saint George Diner, Brooklyn Union Gas office, College of Staten Island, Saint Peter's School for Girls, McKee High School, and countless other businesses which made the place. Oh and yes, the ferry was there. *LOL*

Gradually the center of life on the Rock moved out to the South Shore or at least Mid-Island. The College of SI closed their St. Campus and consolidated with Sunnyside at Willowbrook. Staten Island Hospital moved to Ocean Breeze, etc.. The result is many businesses lost customer base and as things got darker the area changed. From Victory Blvd to Richmond Terrance and along Bay Street became a hood. True there are some nice spots, but it is still mostly a hood.

Never the less persons are buying homes in Saint George especially around Saint Mark's Place and up into the hills. There are some beautiful older homes such as Victorians with fantastic views up there. Problem is you have certain elements surrounding. Daniel Low Terrance has great housing, but again look at your neighbors.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to investment properties. If and when things take off it may be too late to get in on the ground floor. Clearly persons are looking at Brooklyn in particular Williamsburg, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Red Hook and so forth and that Saint George will be the next hipster spot.

Know persons who have bought in or just around Saint George, but they are living not investing. Area was chosen because they wanted a big ole house they could afford, and was close enough to the ferry that getting into the City was not an issue. A few of them are gay and felt that part of the North Shore was more "friendly".

If you are really serious I'd contact a few local SI realtors who have worked with the area for awhile. You should also start looking at recorded sale prices for the area to see where property values are going.
Thanks for the great insight.. I thought about asking a realtor but I feel as if they'd be more inclined to try to sell me some property than actually help me choose one.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTurk View Post
Thanks for the great insight.. I thought about asking a realtor but I feel as if they'd be more inclined to try to sell me some property than actually help me choose one.
Well yes, there is that chance, that is why you ask around to find someone you can trust to give you the information required. Head over to SILive (The Staten Island Advance) and ask questions along with read the classified property listings.

Of course Staten Island being what it is there is no substitute for good old fashioned shoe leather, your eyes, ears, and mouth. Go over and take a walk around the place, speak with local business owners/residents. Maybe stop in local bar and have a few cold ones to get a feeling of things.

Bay Street Landing was supposed to bring St. George back, but again that didn't happen, or hasn't happened yet.

Problem with Saint George is that there isn't anything down there to really attract and support a stable decent upper middle class or even middle class demographic. Supermarket, drug store, gym, etc... Richmond Terrace, Bay Street, Saint Mark's Place, Victory Blvd used to be main commercial/shopping streets, and to some extent still are, but often leave much to be desired.

Personally don't see how this whole Wheel thing is going to bring St. George "back". Yes, there will be a new shopping center and housing, but still will that be enough? We've had the baseball park down there for years now and that hasn't done much to bring the place back.

When you say investment property are you talking commercial, residential or a mix of both? Are you looking to rent out a single or multi-family home (apartments?).

Old 12-13-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well yes, there is that chance, that is why you ask around to find someone you can trust to give you the information required. Head over to SILive (The Staten Island Advance) and ask questions along with read the classified property listings.

Of course Staten Island being what it is there is no substitute for good old fashioned shoe leather, your eyes, ears, and mouth. Go over and take a walk around the place, speak with local business owners/residents. Maybe stop in local bar and have a few cold ones to get a feeling of things.

Bay Street Landing was supposed to bring St. George back, but again that didn't happen, or hasn't happened yet.

Problem with Saint George is that there isn't anything down there to really attract and support a stable decent upper middle class or even middle class demographic. Supermarket, drug store, gym, etc... Richmond Terrace, Bay Street, Saint Mark's Place, Victory Blvd used to be main commercial/shopping streets, and to some extent still are, but often leave much to be desired.

Personally don't see how this whole Wheel thing is going to bring St. George "back". Yes, there will be a new shopping center and housing, but still will that be enough? We've had the baseball park down there for years now and that hasn't done much to bring the place back.

When you say investment property are you talking commercial, residential or a mix of both? Are you looking to rent out a single or multi-family home (apartments?).
Yea but at the end of the day it's minor league ball... No knock on them but minor league ball is not as popular. I think the city will begin pushing St George once that wheel is built.. Too much money being invested to let it go to waste. And I'm looking at multi family homes... Advice?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 AM

577 posts, read 900,470 times
In general it's a lousy area, not anywhere I'd like to live. It varies street by street though & there are some nice high rises. Further inland and elsewhere on the island are some beautiful, safe neighborhoods if you are considering a move to SI.

Personally I don't think St. George will improve much with a ferris wheel and outlet mall, there's just too much blight, lack of space (i.e. parking) and unsavory aspects to the area. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTurk View Post
Yea but at the end of the day it's minor league ball... No knock on them but minor league ball is not as popular. I think the city will begin pushing St George once that wheel is built.. Too much money being invested to let it go to waste. And I'm looking at multi family homes... Advice?
If you want to be on the North Shore look at Silver Lake, Westerleigh, Grymes Hill, some parts of New Brighton.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
In general it's a lousy area, not anywhere I'd like to live. It varies street by street though & there are some nice high rises. Further inland and elsewhere on the island are some beautiful, safe neighborhoods if you are considering a move to SI.

Personally I don't think St. George will improve much with a ferris wheel and outlet mall, there's just too much blight, lack of space (i.e. parking) and unsavory aspects to the area. I hope I'm wrong.

If you want to be on the North Shore look at Silver Lake, Westerleigh, Grymes Hill, some parts of New Brighton.
Looking more for investment purposes. Thank you so much for the advice though.. will probably will there(wherever I buy the property) until the unit/s are filled.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
As long as areas like Jersey St. and York ave continue to have housing projects that area will be lousy. Those projects are terrible, lot's of gang and drug activity.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:10 PM

346 posts, read 383,479 times
I agree. I live not far from Jersey Street and remember what it was like when I was young. It had banks, bars, drug stores, hardware stores and a A&P to mention some of the enterprises there. Nothing much really there now. It really started its decline a couple of years after they built the projects. As I still live in the area I hope it improves but honestly I dont see it happening in my lifetime.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Remember Jersey Street from back in the day as well, and the projects per se aren't the cause of that place going down hill, but rather who they put in there the past decade or so.

When Jersey Street Houses first opened apparently they weren't "that" bad and soon as you crossed up towards the A&P things were rather nice. Indeed that part of New Brighton had a strong Italian and other white population as reflected by the kids who went to Assumption School on Webster Avenue.

As with most every other NYCHA project on Staten Island and especially on the North Shore the rot began soon as the City started giving preference to formerly homeless, welfare and others that never had a pot to **** into nor window to throw it out of. Case in point the Pavilion on the Terrace existed for years just one block away from Jersey Street.

The rot started again as the focus of SI moved to the South Shore or mid-Island. Staten Island Hospital and HIP were the first to go, everyone else followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City