Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:37 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

how awful an idea is this?

i work in NYC, gf in White Plains. we live in Westchester now but i HATE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM

624 posts, read 982,577 times
I live in the Bronx and commute to Greenwich, CT everyday by car. If you can get an adjusted schedule where you get to work around 10 and leave around 6:30 or later its pretty doable. One way commute for me is about 35-45 minutes during these non-peak times without any tolls. Commuting during peak 9-5 times will be slow.

Commuting to White Plains might be easier than my commute as you avoid that horrible Connecticut traffic. I used to live in Washington Heights and the commute was much longer (about 1 hour). People also do it from Queens but then you have those awful bridge tolls and bridge traffic. Finally, it also requires owning a car living in NYC which is a huge expense. I'd save so much money if I could get rid of the stupid car and I don't even pay for a parking space.

The Metro North also goes to Whiteplains, so if you can live somewhere close to Grand Central, Harlem 125th station, and/or one of the Harlem line metro north stations in the Bronx she might be able to use the train. Monthly metro north passes are somewhat expensive but still cheaper than car insurance, gas, and paying for a parking space in NYC.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
I live in the Bronx and commute to Greenwich, CT everyday by car. If you can get an adjusted schedule where you get to work around 10 and leave around 6:30 or later its pretty doable. One way commute for me is about 35-45 minutes during these non-peak times without any tolls. Commuting during peak 9-5 times will be slow.

Commuting to White Plains might be easier than my commute as you avoid that horrible Connecticut traffic. I used to live in Washington Heights and the commute was much longer (about 1 hour). People also do it from Queens but then you have those awful bridge tolls and bridge traffic. Finally, it also requires owning a car living in NYC which is a huge expense. I'd save so much money if I could get rid of the stupid car and I don't even pay for a parking space.

The Metro North also goes to Whiteplains, so if you can live somewhere close to Grand Central, Harlem 125th station, and/or one of the Harlem line metro north stations in the Bronx she might be able to use the train. Monthly metro north passes are somewhat expensive but still cheaper than car insurance, gas, and paying for a parking space in NYC.
well she's a teacher so she needs to be in the school by around 7 (slightly earlier than rush hour i assume?)

we both have cars anyway. though the bronx (near the train) idea doesn't sound awful to me, i'd have to see if she'd be OK with it.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:01 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
how awful an idea is this?

i work in NYC, gf in White Plains. we live in Westchester now but i HATE it.
Do you live in White Plains as well, or where? Would moving to White Plains be an option? Otherwise, what do you hate about it so that we can be more helpful in responses.

I was going to suggest Metro North and I see someone has already touched on it.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Do you live in White Plains as well, or where? Would moving to White Plains be an option? Otherwise, what do you hate about it so that we can be more helpful in responses.

I was going to suggest Metro North and I see someone has already touched on it.
we live in dobbs ferry. wayyyyy too quiet for my tastes. im 28. very little action, even on weekends.

just not my scene in general.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:12 PM

I'm not sure how traffic is that early in the morning, but I imagine its probably not as good as leaving later in the day. A lot of people have to either be at work early or start their commute early because they have a long way to go.

With 2 cars the Bronx might be a better option anyway for either street parking or cheaper paid parking lots. I don't know your budget but trying to street park 2 cars in trendy parts of Manhattan will be a nightmare and parking lots will cost a small fortune.

I live in Norwood / Bedford park and as long as I get home before 8PM I can always easily find a spot on the street not too far from my apartment. After 8 I can still find a spot eventually but it requires some hunting. Street cleaning happens twice a week but its not a big problem for me as I take my car to work everyday when street cleaning is happening. My neighborhood also has the Harlem Line available at the Botanical garden.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
we live in dobbs ferry. wayyyyy too quiet for my tastes. im 28. very little action, even on weekends.
No doubt moving to NYC will make your life more difficult (and probably more expensive) but I feel your pain. I could have moved to Stamford for an easy commute to work. Its more expensive than the Bronx but the reduction in commuting costs and taxes would even out.

I don't like Westchester county and absolutely loathe anything in the state of CT. I'd rather live in the Bronx with subway access to NYC than be in any of those places. You're only young and free once. If you're not yet enslaved by children and the demand for schools and safety enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:

just not my scene in general.

Dobbs Ferry is very quiet. White Plains is a little bit busier and would probably be easier on you both than moving into the city.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Dobbs Ferry is very quiet. White Plains is a little bit busier and would probably be easier on you both than moving into the city.
i hate white plains as well. overpriced and kind of...trashy.

will any parts of the bronx work well? riverdale? eh.

woodlawn?

i dk...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
will any parts of the bronx work well? riverdale? eh.

woodlawn?

i dk...
Riverdale felt pretty similar to Westchester county in terms of price and lifestyle to me. It has awful public transit to NYC as well. If you go more towards Kingsbridge you'll at least have the 1 train. Woodlawn is somewhat similar to Riverdale but at least there you have a Harlem line Metro North station which goes to White Plains. Both are perfectly safe neighborhoods.

Norwood / Bedford Park is directly south of Woodlawn and has great subway access with the 4/D and metro north. Its a relatively safe area (with street smarts etc..). The neighborhood is mostly working class. While there aren't any of those big red brick housing projects here we do have plenty of section 8 apartment buildings and the Tracey Towers. There are still a fair share of ghetto / poor types around but not nearly as bad as you would see in other parts of the Bronx or Brooklyn. I've been here for a few months now and haven't had any problems. The demographics are mostly hispanic.

The next option is the south bronx in Melrose / Mott Haven near the Grand Concourse. There is another harlem line metro north station around there. This area is hood but its also changing. I see more and more young "hip" looking people getting off the 4 train and 138th and 149th st. Even in the local hispanic population, you see some of the better dressed girls / guys getting off here. I haven't been in this area too much so I can't comment on what its like to live here. This area has the best subway access in the entire borough. I imagine it will be the gritty urban pioneer experience. The south bronx is on most peoples "gentrification radar" but its not quite there yet and could take a long time. Buying a piece of real estate here could be a good long term investment.

The areas between 167th and 199th are where it gets much more hood. I would stay away from those. There are metro north stations here but I would avoid. Fordham may be possible if you want to live near the Fordham University students.

If you want to forego the train, then there are many more possibilities including Pelham Parkway in the East Bronx and Washington Heights / Inwood in upper manhattan.

If you're really serious about moving, you should probably take some time to drive around and explore these areas for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City