Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM

34 posts, read 154,276 times

Advertisements

My hubby, a teacher making just over $60k a year and I (currently unemployed) have outgrown our 1 bedroom Forest Hills co-op, and wish to start a family sooner than later. If we sell it, we would have a down payment of $200k to work with, after paying off a small mortgage and realtor fee's, etc. I would imagine he would qualify for about another $200k via a mortgage.

With that said, where on earth, (or actually in Queens, lol) can you find a decent home (not co-op or condo), in a safe area like Forest Hills, which we are used to, that is priced under 500K? We do not need to be near the subway, as we commute everywhere by car. I walked around our area, and found row-houses that need a lot of work priced at 650-700k?? Are they really selling them so high? Anyone know where we should be looking, or are we stuck here in our apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
How about Ridgewood?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 PM

99 posts, read 730,254 times
Cypress Hills

Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
I think you should seriously consider just getting a 2br/3br co-op or condo.

The Bronx has some of the cheapest real estate in the city and 3 br houses go for around $500k up here. So I doubt you'd be able to find a 3br house for $500k in nicer areas of Queens.

Forest Hills is such a nice neighborhood, why would you want to leave? I'd just try to find a larger Co-op if I was in your position.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 AM

34,114 posts, read 47,349,444 times
you can find a house in queens for $500K or under, the problem is that they're going to be in neighborhoods such as laurelton, cambria heights, springfield gardens, maybe rosedale. more working class neighborhoods with not nearly as much amenities as forest hills. schools aren't the greatest either in these neighborhoods.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 AM

8,699 posts, read 11,096,568 times
There are many houses for 500k or so in nyc. You just need to expand your search.

Off the top of my head, you can find some attached houses in whitestone, bayside, etc in that price range which are nice areas. Forest Hills wouldn't fit the 500k budget.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:13 PM

155 posts, read 458,188 times
Keep in mind the housing market is tanking due to the sub-prime mess. That said it a buyers market. I think you can go back to those row houses that you like in a few months and tally up the cost to fix the place and put a $500K (or less) bid on the house. It would be worth the while doing some research to see how long these folks owned the place and the amount they had purchased the house for hence giving you a confidence level to bid accordingly.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,521,182 times
<< that is priced under 500K? We do not need to be near the subway, as we commute everywhere by car. I walked around our area, and found row-houses that need a lot of work priced at 650-700k?? Are they really selling them so high? Anyone know where we should be looking, or are we stuck here in our apartment? >>

As you must know, Bayside has top rated schools and a very low crime rate. I have noticed a lot of people have moved in who were living in Manhattan and have kids due to the schools and the convenient location here. (Not to mention space, compared to much of Queens.)

I look at house ads around here constantly. You could definitely pick up a semi-attached house, if you were dilegent in your search, for about $500K. I would check Craig's list and contact local realtors like Ann Folan, Judy "energized" realtor, etc.

Yes, houses are generally more money, but I know that you can get a semiattached house for that price ($500) with time and patience in your search.

You would not regret living here.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,521,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
There are many houses for 500k or so in nyc. You just need to expand your search.

Off the top of my head, you can find some attached houses in whitestone, bayside, etc in that price range which are nice areas. Forest Hills wouldn't fit the 500k budget.
I have family who live in Richmond Hill North and it is a great area - not large, and the teenagers went to top schools (Townsend Harris, etc.) Prices are not too bad there.

I live in Bayside and feel that the poster needs to consider here. Whitestone is great but more expensive for what you get but extremely safe.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times
Bayside is unquestionably one of the nicest neighborhoods in Queens. Good schools, nice area to live.

However, what's going on with the demographics there? Has the white population stabilized to some degree or is everyone still fleeing? I think Bayside will loose a lot of its alure if it just becomes yet another Flushing and everyone in the neighborhood is Korean.

Whitestone is also really nice, but I think there is generally more to do (shops & stores) in Bayside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I have family who live in Richmond Hill North and it is a great area - not large, and the teenagers went to top schools (Townsend Harris, etc.) Prices are not too bad there.

I live in Bayside and feel that the poster needs to consider here. Whitestone is great but more expensive for what you get but extremely safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City