Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 19,641 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions on good areas to live that are commutable via public transportation to Columbia Medical Center at 168th st. My husband and I and 4 small children are moving to NY within the next few months. We are hoping to find a house to rent under $3000 in a decent school system. From my initial searching, it looks like the Hudson river train line would be the best commute, but practically unaffordable. Am I wrong? Are there places in NJ that he could commute from? I haven't tried to figure out the NJ transit yet. The most important items are: no more than one hour commute, good schools (they don't have to be the best, I think my children can excel as long as there is ample opportunity and lots of parental involvement), walking distance to many amenities. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 PM

35 posts, read 182,607 times
A NJ commute over the GWB may be an option, so I'm thinking Fort Lee, but the commute would be by bus, so you would be at the mercy of GWB (George Washington Bridge) traffic. I suppose you could do NJ transit to Penn Station and hop on the A train uptown (about 20min to 30 min just on the A, so depending on where in NJ, the trip could top out at about an hour).

Not sure if you could rent a house in Riverdale (the Bronx) for that much. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Riverdale might be a good choice for you...check out the area.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
My suggestion is stay in New Jersey. You're not gonna find a house to rent for that kind of price in the city. And since the Bronx is the closet affordable boro to you, might as well just look across the river at NJ. Try Bloomfield, NJ or Nutley, NJ or the area around there since it offers the direct line into 34th/Penn Station. You can then take a # of trains up to 168th St.

It should be within an hour commute if you live near the station.

Having attended grade school in NYC at 181th St (now living in Jersey), not too far from the Medical Center area, I don't recommend the NYC school system at all. You need incredible discipline and parental guidance to get much out of it. Might as well go take advantage of the better NJ school system.

You may want to go to the NJ board to get more advice. Good luck!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM

Default is it family friendly?

Is Riverdale a safe place to live with 4 children ages 1,3,5, and 8? Is it possible to have a backyard there? We are also hoping to have a community feel wherever we live? Is that possible in Riverdale? How are the schools?
Also, are there places to look to find houses for rent in NY besides the national house rental websites? I have checked craigslist and NYTimes, also. There seems to be few choices for renting an entire house on a budget.
Also, I'm afraid Riverdale may be too "city" for the family? I've never been there, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I think I may need to take a trip to explore!
Thank you for any advice!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Default thanks Kimchee

I posted my questions before I saw your reply. You have answered some of them. Thank you.
I will look into NJ, also.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
You will absolutely love Riverdale, as it is probably the BEST community in ALL of the city. It lies right in between Van Courtland Park to the East, the Hudson River to the West, Westchester County to the North, and Manhattan to the South. The area has large estate homes, luxury condos, and everything in between, lots of trees/greenery/open space, a completely suburban feel, incredibly safe, very walkable, neighborhood feel, is near a Metro North Stop, the last stop on the 1 train, plenty of parking (most homes have garage or driveway), and a very easy commute into the city.

Make sure to check it out...it will be well worth your time.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
One thing you wanna keep in mind is, if you're working on the West side, try to live near there. It's not fun having to find your way crosstown. If you take the metro north, located on the East side, you will almost certainly have to take a crosstown train/bus to the West side to where you work. It will cut into your commute time.

Here's your scenario via Metro North:

Metro North stop -> Crosstown bus/train transfer -> Bus/Train up to 168th

I did that once and half my commute was the NYC crosstown trek! Not fun!

That's why I also didn't recommend Brooklyn or Queens. Cost is just one of the factors that ruled them out...

If you're not living in the city, your best bet is finding a town that has a direct train or bus into the West side transportation hub of the city - Port Authority or Penn Station.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I live in Riverdale about 10 blocks north of the 1 train. This location is ideal for commuting to CPMC. I don't think it's any more than 15 minutes from 242 street to 168th street. You could take the bus but it takes longer

Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schatze View Post
Is Riverdale a safe place to live with 4 children ages 1,3,5, and 8? Is it possible to have a backyard there? We are also hoping to have a community feel wherever we live? Is that possible in Riverdale? How are the schools?
Also, are there places to look to find houses for rent in NY besides the national house rental websites? I have checked craigslist and NYTimes, also. There seems to be few choices for renting an entire house on a budget.
Also, I'm afraid Riverdale may be too "city" for the family? I've never been there, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I think I may need to take a trip to explore!
Thank you for any advice!
a home in riverdale is big money, get the sunday NY times for real estate and yes you'd better explore before commiting to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: