Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 864 times

Advertisements

I am talking my Ex Landlord to the court; the reason is he didn’t give me back my security deposit,
My Lease was end on 6/25 , and I moved on 6/26 he refused to give me my security deposit ,
He said I went to the next month, and it will cost me one month, I refused and I said just deducted one day,
Any ways, the landlord fails to put my security deposit in a separate bank account since the building is more than 12 apartments, he requires by the low,

Now if the judge end the case to my favor, what is my steps to get my money back ?
Notes
I am suing him for $4900 the security deposit was for 3600 which is 3 month rent,,
Please give send your feedback
I have pictures of the whole apartment + video
I didn’t send any written note to the landlord about the moving time.
However I give him a 2 month that we are moving out,
I have recorded voice calls between me and the landlord when he is telling me I have to sign paper that I won’t sew him for the 3rd month in order to get the other 2 months , since the landlord wanted to give me only 2 months

Last edited by Manzz; 01-07-2015 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,394 times
Well...Everyone always stays their last month for free which equals the 1 month of security deposit. Why didn't you do that instead?

Everyone knows the landlord is never going to give you back your security deposit.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Well...Everyone always stays their last month for free which equals the 1 month of security deposit. Why didn't you do that instead?

Everyone knows the landlord is never going to give you back your security deposit.
Because..it's illegal to use your deposit as last months rent.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzz View Post
I am talking my Ex Landlord to the court; the reason is he didn’t give me back my security deposit,
My Lease was end on 6/25 , and I moved on 6/26 he refused to give me my security deposit ,
He said I went to the next month, and it will cost me one month, I refused and I said just deducted one day,
Any ways, the landlord fails to put my security deposit in a separate bank account since the building is more than 12 apartments, he requires by the low,

Now if the judge end the case to my favor, what is my steps to get my money back ?
Notes
I am suing him for $4900 the security deposit was for 3600 which is 3 month rent,,
Please give send your feedback
I have pictures of the whole apartment + video
I didn’t send any written note to the landlord about the moving time.
However I give him a 2 month that we are moving out,
I have recorded voice calls between me and the landlord when he is telling me I have to sign paper that I won’t sew him for the 3rd month in order to get the other 2 months , since the landlord wanted to give me only 2 months
Actually, your landlord is correct. If you stayed even 1 hour into the next month, you owe rent for the entire month. He should have returned the other two months. Also, NYC law requires that you give a notice to vacate in writing...so that may be a problem for you if the landlord wants to make an issue of it in court.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:

What are you talking about everyone does this?????
No they don't. Only low class people do that.
I've gotten my security back on ALL my apartments and I lived in about 15!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:43 AM

I and everyone else I know must be super low class because everyone always stays 1 month free which equals to the 1 month security deposit. Everyone knows once you give someone money, it's the hardest thing to get back.

In fact, many landlords appreciate tenants doing this because it saves that awkward conversation from having to come up where people talk about money they ain't ever gonna get.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Based on the written explanation of your problem in this forum, I would advise not trying to represent yourself in the NYC Housing Court. If you go to the Housing Court office, you can ask questions of an attorney employed by the court. There is no charge for this. The attorney can't offer individual advice on the merits of your case but can inform you of what you need to know and do to file a case. You should also know that most likely you can ask the court to award you attorney's fees for both the case preparation and actual trial and for collection if judgment is granted in your favor. See link below for information on your rights as a tenant.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...ights_2011.pdf

Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I and everyone else I know must be super low class because everyone always stays 1 month free which equals to the 1 month security deposit. Everyone knows once you give someone money, it's the hardest thing to get back.

In fact, many landlords appreciate tenants doing this because it saves that awkward conversation from having to come up where people talk about money they ain't ever gonna get.

Slumlords will often agree to accept this, but decent landlords would never. Also, judging by your past posts, you do not like to live by the rules and chose to make up your own. Regardless it is ILLEGAL to use your deposit as rent and you shouldn't be posting advice that is illegal.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,516,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzz View Post
Why are you suing for $4,900 if the deposit was only for $3,600?

Quote:

Stop living with slumlords and/or trashing your apartment. I have never not gotten my security deposit back.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:15 PM

@FEBTOBER - If everyone followed what my friends and I do which is the deposit equals last months rent, we would never have these posts about taking landlords to court over their deposits. Not sure what you mean about that method being "slum lords" because there's certain things that are common sense.

Do we have posts on here where people write : My landlord used my deposit as last months rent and didn't chase me down and i am LIVID? I want him to chase me down for 30 days worth of money that i was going to give him so he can give it right back to me which equals my deposit! I paid last months rent and he refused to accept my check.

Yeah, we don't have post like that on here, do we?

People don't have a problem taking checks, but they have a problem giving it and this thread is a clear indication of that. Common sense.

Last edited by q41apartments; 01-08-2015 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: