Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,418 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to NYC next month and found a nice apartment at 46th/Lexington. As I'm unfamiliar with Manhattan I wanted to get people's opinion on what this area is like -- I have these questions/concerns:
- I'm in my 30s so I don't want to fight with mobs of students at bars, but I do like *some* nightlife. How is this area for that?
- How touristy is this area?
- Are there decent noncommercial restaurants nearby (a yelp search was ambiguous)?
- Is this a particularly LGBT friendly area?

Thanks to whoever has any thoughts (strong opinions are welcome!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
That address is essentially in the central business district of Manhattan across from Grand Central Station. The businesses there cater to the daytime white-collar worker, and the streets nearby will be packed through the evening rush hour, but a bit desolate at nights. It is not a 20-something student neighborhood at all. Most apartments are actually east of 3rd Ave, and tenants tend to be older and well-heeled. You will head east for most day-to-day shopping needs. Being gay will not be an issue at all and you'll have many public transit options when you want to visit other parts of the city.

Last edited by citylove101; 01-12-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times
Yuppie Heaven. The entire island of Manhattan is gay so no worries there.

Nothing to fear.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times
The Lex itself is very commercial where you are, however, there are tons of restaurants on the Second Avenue. For the commute, you have 4/5/6 nearby which goes the entire length of the city on the east side.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to NYC next month and found a nice apartment at 46th/Lexington. As I'm unfamiliar with Manhattan I wanted to get people's opinion on what this area is like -- I have these questions/concerns:
- I'm in my 30s so I don't want to fight with mobs of students at bars, but I do like *some* nightlife. How is this area for that?
- How touristy is this area?
- Are there decent noncommercial restaurants nearby (a yelp search was ambiguous)?
- Is this a particularly LGBT friendly area?

Thanks to whoever has any thoughts (strong opinions are welcome!).
Living in that area will give you a very warped sense of living in NY because it is not a neighborhood to live in.
It's almost completely offices,non descript restaurants and 2nd rate touristy hotels and bars.It's not really a neighborhood at all.

Nightlife companionship is more likely to be lower echelon business types and tourists from the South or Midwest looking for some hetero action.Like hanging out at the piano bar at the Holiday Inn in Tulsa.I think there are still a lot of hookers around there too,working the bars and hotels.There is probably some gay action around there as well but it's
probably weird too.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-12-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the directness. I think I've ruled out this area. An alternative is a place at the northeast tip of Hell's Kitchen at 9th ave/57 st. It seems to offer more of what I'm looking for and I like the quick access to Central Park. Any thoughts?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite View Post
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the directness. I think I've ruled out this area. An alternative is a place at the northeast tip of Hell's Kitchen at 9th ave/57 st. It seems to offer more of what I'm looking for and I like the quick access to Central Park. Any thoughts?
Definitely an improvement but still pretty much a non neighborhood.You seem to be avoiding real neighborhoods for some reason.Is it because you don't want to have to use subways to get to work or something?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
You cannot find a more centrally located area than being by Grand Central. I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out. From there you can easily head downtown to the village for eateries as well as uptown to Central Park.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM

I'm not explicitly avoiding real neighborhoods (and I'd prefer one) but I haven't had much luck finding something within my budget (max $3k for a studio/1br) that is a reasonable size. I saw a few in East Village, Gramercy, Flatiron, West Village and Chelsea. Most had some major issue (too small even by my low expectations, on the ground floor with no light, or out of my budget range with broker fee). I'm not even that picky, but I sound like I am!

Am I just looking at the wrong places?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:59 PM

I should add that I just got this job offer and it starts in Feb. so I'm a little pressed to find a place. Any suggestions are welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: