Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 11:38 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times

Advertisements

As I post, Pacha NYC is having its curtain call, its final night after 10 years of being a staple in the NYC night club. Personally, I had some AMAZING moments in Pacha even though the quality of musical acts I felt went down the drain around the mid-decade of its run but Pacha would still put on quality acts for us real "house heads" once in a while instead of catering to the obnoxious, under-aged teeny bopping "EDM" crowds. Pacha was a beautiful mess for me and that's why it will always be dear to my heart.

However, I'm not posting this to give commentary since I know hardly anyone on CD really goes out and parties. I do want to know a quick history on Pacha before it was Pacha. I remember Pacha was Sound Factory prior but was Sound Factory another club before that? I was always curious. I was under-aged and didn't have any connects to a fake ID when Sound Factory was around so I never got to enjoy the amazing moments I heard about there. Fake ID or not, I looked WAY young was I was 16-17 so it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I've always been interested in the history of night clubs in NYC. Partying seemed much more fun back in the days then now. So if any of you ever been to Sound Factory and have great stories about that place or if any of you know if there was a club before Sound Factory and know about the building that SF and Pacha have had their venue, let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
The Jonathan Peters version of Soundfactory was the best for the first two years. I remember opening night...in a K hole. The original was on 27th St. with Junior Vasquez.

Pacha has nothing to do with any of the past debauchery. Sorry to sound like an Ahole but to me Pacha was after the ruin and so was the crowd.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
For my taste and being involved in the scene Pacha first 4/5yrs were magical. When it was sound factory I stopped going in 1999 as vinyl became my home and I wasn't feeling the sound JP was pumping. I don't know what the space itself was before sf.

Since you like history you should really look into the original sound factory on 27st which was open from 1989-1995 (that space became twilo then spirit and now is a show I forget the name) lots of great music in house music history was made during that time. Some great stories and sets are online from both junior and Frankie knuckles. Also look into sound factory bar on 22 which eventually became cheetah and now is a rest. Prior to sound factory bar it was another club but I can't recall name right now.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:46 PM

104 posts, read 380,586 times
Pacha's space has seen several incarnations, some better than others. As a former New York Club Kid my very first scenes were Danceteria and Limelight. Then I got into House music which subsequently led me to Tunnel, Area, Shelter, Vinyl and my last scene was Body & Soul (Yes I missed Paradis Garage and Soundfactory. It still hurts me to this day!) . BTW B&S had its' 20th anniversary last week at Pacha. It was totally fantastic. I'm pretty sure Pacha used to be Twilo back in the day.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:00 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
Pacha's space has seen several incarnations, some better than others. As a former New York Club Kid my very first scenes were Danceteria and Limelight. Then I got into House music which subsequently led me to Tunnel, Area, Shelter, Vinyl and my last scene was Body & Soul (Yes I missed Paradis Garage and Soundfactory. It still hurts me to this day!) . BTW B&S had its' 20th anniversary last week at Pacha. It was totally fantastic. I'm pretty sure Pacha used to be Twilo back in the day.
Guess you didnt read my post above yours, twilo was at 27st home of the original sound factory. Pacha was on 46st and before that was sound factory. I dont know what it was prior to 1997.

I was also at Body & Soul 20th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: