Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a question about work life in NY for those that work in manhattan, do most people work like 10-11 hour days and some weekends with constant grind and stress or does it really depend on the environment of your dept and company? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 PM

158 posts, read 139,058 times
It does very much depend on the company and department where you work. On average though, people in New York probably do work longer hours than most other places in the country.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Hello all,
I have a question about work life in NY for those that work in manhattan, do most people work like 10-11 hour days and some weekends with constant grind and stress or does it really depend on the environment of your dept and company? thanks.

You might get lucky with landing in an arizona-like working environment here in nyc, but the chance is very SLIM, so be prepared for a hypercompetitive and toxic work life environment here to start with and adjust accordingly to avoid any disappointment.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM

515 posts, read 875,669 times
I've seen a couple of articles from different outlets about "hardest working city" this past week. They all have different rankings. One of them ranks NYC as #1:

D.C. residents have third longest workweek, including commute - Washington Times

If you compare San Fran, NYC, Chicago, DC and similar cities I would say the work life is about the same. It mainly depends on what you do. I have an investment banker friend who basically lives at her firm. She's extremely successful, happy and wealthy but what kind of life is that working 80hrs work weeks. You gotta live life.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 PM

I used to live in Chicago I know what the grind feels like.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Depends on your field. As a software engineer I never had to work 10-11 hour days and the pay is insane right now. I worked in NYC for a long time, and always worked 8 hours with the occasional half hour extra work during off hours when clients aren't using our software. Some point I worked over at Banco Santander (sp?) as a consultant and the traders worked 5-3, the sales people worked 5-5 which is insane to me but they were all alpha types and liked the "hunt" so to speak.

What field are you in OP?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
I think the reputation that New Yorkers work long hours than people do in other cities comes from the finance industry/advertising/marketing fields. I think most other jobs are on par with you'd expect elsewhere.

Some people will brag about their long hours with lots of bravado. However, when you get to know them and what exactly they do you often find they have either greatly exaggerated their claims or waste time during the day (such as on CD!) which in turns forces them to stay a little later.

Then again, I met a guy once who worked in a high level position for the NASDAQ who claimed he went home at 5pm every day.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:01 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Talented IT folks & software engineers can write their ticket these days. Even Wall Street and the hedge funds we hear about are being driven by computers! Their dream candidate is an Ivy League educated quantitative genius with software coding skills (IT background). Very different from the old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Depends on your field. As a software engineer I never had to work 10-11 hour days and the pay is insane right now. I worked in NYC for a long time, and always worked 8 hours with the occasional half hour extra work during off hours when clients aren't using our software. Some point I worked over at Banco Santander (sp?) as a consultant and the traders worked 5-3, the sales people worked 5-5 which is insane to me but they were all alpha types and liked the "hunt" so to speak.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Places that are poorly managed requires people to work 10-11 hrs a day because largely the work performed are repetitive paper pushing mechanism and nothing else. Or the place is under staffed.

Say you work in financial services, if you had to stay 10-11 hrs a day, it means somebody or software is not working and delaying your work you shouldn't have to stay late.

In IT, 10-11hrs means there are lots of issues that are not resolved or optimized. A properly managed IT shouldn't require workers to work late. Automation should take care of itself. It means a workplace that's too cheap or backwards to invest in new tech or automate their processes.

The only place that can does require over time are people that work on producing things or creative jobs.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post

Hey I am in IT, SQL and BI specifically, I lived in Atlanta and Phoenix which doesn't do anything for me other than better weather. I want to take a chance in a year and try for NY. Do you think competition is to stiff for a out of person like to me even be considered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: