Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 40,453 times

Advertisements

How dangerous is lead? I know there are certain rules in place for kids because its more dangerous for their developing brains and bodies, but how about adults?

My landlord recently applied sheetrock to a bedroom in a vacant apartment after it tested positive for lead because tenants with a child are moving in. I asked for the same thing when I re-did my lease (mostly because the walls are terrible) and he said no because I have no children in the apt. So am I just living with lead and its ok because there are no children in the apartment?

If I have my place tested independently and theres dangerously high levels of lead, do I have any recourse at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
It's overblown.

The problem was with kids eating paint chips. When I was a kid I never dreamed of chewing on peeling paint. Does ANYONE know any kids who eat old paint?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I too think it is all pure BS.

Number one, all these old buildings have lead paint, but have probably been painted over about a billion times already.

I never thought about eating paint chips as a kid either.
I never lived in an apartment with peeling paint in the first place.

and my children never ate paint chips, or picked the walls, or window ledges, let alone licked the walls.

i think this lead paint crap is so blown out of proportion.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's overblown.

The problem was with kids eating paint chips. When I was a kid I never dreamed of chewing on peeling paint. Does ANYONE know any kids who eat old paint?

answer: No.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
I used to babysit a little girl that used to pick at wall corners and eat the paint chips. I also know of a child that used to eat napkins when she was younger. Kids do weird things.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
You have to lick the paint in order to get lead poisoning. That's why you can't use it to paint toys.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
You cannot protect stupid kids against everything.
Are we too make sure all electrical outlets are 6 feet up the wall to prevent lids licking them, along with the roach spray on the woodwork? What about a kid eating an SOS pad? Making sure pencils only have dull points and are 2 inches wide so kids cannot stick them into their ears? And keep all ball point pens under lock and key?

The powers that be have condemned lead and asbestos so that they can give the APPEARANCE of giving a s**t about environmental health.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-30-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
If you have lead dust it can get all over everything, including things you normally put in your mouth (food, your toothbrush, etc). This wouldn't be from just having lead paint, it can be from renovation/demolition occurring in your building or even outdoors nearby if you have your windows open. But as long as you're not sanding and scraping, the paint on the walls won't affect you at all.

As for electrical outlets, they're all required to be tamper resistant in residences now, which is stupid and annoying (the TR outlets are harder to use).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City