Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 798 times

Advertisements

Want somewhere more progressive and family friendly. Small parks, not uptight, close to recreation. Public schools are ideal, so I'm trying to find the neighborhoods that fit my desire zoned to the best public schools. Looking at buying a 3 bedroom.

Which neighborhood would best suit us? I was told to look at Battery Park, but it doesn't look very "NY", I like a bit more character. Brooklyn could be an option, but looking to narrow down Manhattan for now.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:45 PM

624 posts, read 983,005 times
You need to provide a budget range. Otherwise nobody can help you.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 AM

225 posts, read 216,424 times
So you want some place with "character" and "New York" (which many would interpret to mean gritty or even squalor) and "progressive", yet also "family friendly" at the same time?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:31 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noe589 View Post
Want somewhere more progressive and family friendly. Small parks, not uptight, close to recreation. Public schools are ideal, so I'm trying to find the neighborhoods that fit my desire zoned to the best public schools. Looking at buying a 3 bedroom.

Which neighborhood would best suit us? I was told to look at Battery Park, but it doesn't look very "NY", I like a bit more character. Brooklyn could be an option, but looking to narrow down Manhattan for now.

Thank you.
If you are talking progressive, liberal etc... family friendly and perhaps including gay with the amenities you describe then below 34th Street you have: Chelsea, Tribeca, West Village, Greenwich Village, Soho, Union Square, Madison Park/North Madison. Financial District including Battery Park City may or may not fit all criteria depending upon where you look.

Uptown there is the Upper Westside running up through parts of lower Harlem/Morningside Heights.

Only grades K-8 are zoned in NYC elementary schools. IIRC junior and high schools can be either zoned or not. The top special high schools are not zoned with entry via examination.

If you want to leave Manhattan and head over to Brooklyn there is Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights and Boerum Hill as solid starters. Next tier would be Fort Greene, parts of Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, and Park Slope South....

Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Don't forget Carroll Gardens and that sliver of uptown they're calling Hudson Heights!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
So you want some place with "character" and "New York" (which many would interpret to mean gritty or even squalor) and "progressive", yet also "family friendly" at the same time?
Have you ever been to New York? I'm curious. You don't sound very smart.

Tribeca is a very "New York feel", full of beautiful older buildings and upscale shops and amenities..as are the Upper East and Upper West Side, West Village, etc. Tribeca and UWS are "progressive" and they're posh, family friendly and very NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City