Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,224 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to NYC from FL. We have 2 medium sized dogs. We will be making approx $100k after taxes. Where should we be looking to find a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Think of it as if you were the landlord:
If you had the option of renting to a couple without dogs or one with dogs which would you rent to? I think it's easy to draw the conclusion that they would take the ones without. The problem with owning pets here is that apartments fly off the market even with outlandish fees and many restrictions in place. One of the reasons for this is that NY rental laws favor tenants so much so that once you get the keys it is extremely difficult to have tenants evicted even if they (or their dogs) are an absolute nightmare. Frankly, I would not rent in a building with dogs either above, below, or adjacent to me. Even if they are well behaved it is easy to hear them scurrying along the hardwood floors.

You will see a number of rental ads which state 'cats or small dog OK'. Their definition of small is usually 20 lbs. Generally you will face hurdles getting into a building that is pet friendly but they are out there. Just be ready to plunk down a very sizable security deposit or other non-refundable pet fee. The only great living option is a single family home or a very ritzy co-op/condo where, for some reason, they don't seem to find pets an issue.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 14,860 times
We had the same concerns moving from Connecticut to NYC with two 60 lbs dogs. It will take some looking but it can be done. We found a two bedroom apartment in Astoria, Queens which is close to Astoria park, a great dog walking spot. I suggest checking out neighborhoods close to dog runs, it's also a good way to get connected to other dog owners. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Some buildings are dog-friendly, some aren't.

I don't know what lifestyle your dogs are used to, but city dogs have it great! When Loretta came to live with me, my suburban dad said it was unfair to have dog living in a city. Was he kidding?! She loved walking past the sidewalk cafes, or touring the neighborhood to walk past every window through which she'd ever seen a cat. She had a regular, informal playgroup* in Central Park, and for one hour every evening got to romp with them. This is so much better than the life of the poor suburban dog I grew up with -- isolated to her own yard, not well socialized with other dogs, no strangers slipping her tortilla chips.

*I'm sure you'll find one in a park near wherever you end up.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM

35 posts, read 113,317 times
I am just curious, when you have to go to the vet or somewhere, what do you do for transportation? I found that a lot of cabbies don't like taking dogs, even if they're in a crate. I have a small poodle mix and got rejected once by a driver when he saw me coming out with my crated dog. Hmph!

It's true, though... the city is awesome for doggie socialization!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
I needed to transport my 50-pounder once when it was raining torrents. It was hard finding a cab under any conditions. So I stood there waving a $5 bill and indicating to the driver that it was just for him. It worked. Counting for inflation, I'd probably pull out a $10 today. But other than that very rainy day, I never had a terrible time finding a willing cabbie. One or two might pass by, and you have to allow for that, but it was not a major challenge, maybe because mine was the cutest dog on the Upper West Side.

Animals are permitted on public transit as long as they're crated. Mine was too big for that.

My vet, btw, was within walking distance, my dog never too sick to make the trip by paw.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
I once met a cab driver who was driving around with his dog in the cab every day. I love dogs but his cab was smelling really bad.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:25 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
I once met a cab driver who was driving around with his dog in the cab every day. I love dogs but his cab was smelling really bad.
It was more likely the cab driver than the dog....

Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 14,860 times
We decided to keep our car just for that reason... transporting the dogs. It also helps when stocking up on groceries, helping friends move and weekend escapes from the city. You might try calling a car service and requesting a pet friendly driver. There used to be pet transportation services around but I haven't seen their vans around lately, still could be worth looking into.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Pet Taxi still exists. You can google it and any number of services pop up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: