Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 PM

88 posts, read 84,719 times

Advertisements

this is my second time living in inwood, and terrible experiences both times... our current building is unrenovated, and try to say the rent is $2995 ... and that that is market value... of course market value is what we pay.... $1550.... when we signed the lease they said it was rent stabilized, but they lied... now they are trying to raise the rent to $1680 for a two year lease... this raise is because they say the value is so high and then they profit for a tax abatement ... these people are such scum... last time i lived up here it was much cheaper, but still scum... i've only been here one year, and may have to make another last minute move, argh... this city sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 PM

279 posts, read 521,679 times
$1680 for a two year lease isn't that bad, but I'm confused. Where did $2,995 come from?

Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
In most other places rent stabilization doesn't even exist and $1680 is not bad though could be better. Unless you're in a 2bd+, in which case I'd say you're in a nice spot!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
this is my second time living in inwood, and terrible experiences both times... our current building is unrenovated, and try to say the rent is $2995 ... and that that is market value... of course market value is what we pay.... $1550.... when we signed the lease they said it was rent stabilized, but they lied... now they are trying to raise the rent to $1680 for a two year lease... this raise is because they say the value is so high and then they profit for a tax abatement ... these people are such scum... last time i lived up here it was much cheaper, but still scum... i've only been here one year, and may have to make another last minute move, argh... this city sucks
Biggest problem with Inwood is that you might as well live in The Bronx as far as distance from midtown or downtown, only you get to pay almost double the rent to be able to tell everyone you live in Manhattan. And this is even though Inwood isn't any better of a neighborhood than a lot of Bronx neighborhoods.It's on the same geographic parallel as Fordham Road which is almost exactly mid Bronx.Half of The Bronx is closer to midtown than Inwood.

The rental and purchase prices in Inwood make no sense. It is one of the most over priced areas in the whole city in terms housing stock,qol issues,etc v. distance from mid/lower Manhattan.Most people are duped into thinking it's a good deal in terms of Manhattan rents but it might as well not be in Manhattan.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-03-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 03:20 PM

279 posts, read 521,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Biggest problem with Inwood is that you might as well live in The Bronx as far as distance from midtown or downtown, only you get to pay almost double the rent to be able to tell everyone you live in Manhattan. And this is even though Inwood isn't any better of a neighborhood than a lot of Bronx neighborhoods.It's on the same geographic parallel as Fordham Road which is almost exactly mid Bronx.Half of The Bronx is closer to midtown than Inwood.

The rental and purchase prices in Inwood make no sense. It is one of the most over priced areas in the whole city in terms housing stock,qol issues,etc v. distance from mid/lower Manhattan.Most people are duped into thinking it's a good deal in terms of Manhattan rents but it might as well not be in Manhattan.
That all depends on where in Inwood you live. In order for Inwood to improve, the prices will have to continue to increase otherwise the qol issues you speak about will continue.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Make sure you know, and are paying, your legal rent.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
Your post doesn't make much sense. The apartment is either rent stabilized or not. It's up to you to find out. NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Your apartment could fall under rent stabilization but have a preferential rent of $1550 and a legal rent of $2995. If that's the case, they are free to raise it at any new lease signing date to whatever they want up to the legal maximum. If you have a preferential rent, it would state that in your lease, which you should read.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Your post doesn't make much sense. The apartment is either rent stabilized or not. It's up to you to find out. NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Your apartment could fall under rent stabilization but have a preferential rent of $1550 and a legal rent of $2995.
The legal rent is too often actually illegal, something basically made up or asserted with creative paperwork.

That's why I urged knowing the actual legal rent. Many times it is closer to the lower figure or even below.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The legal rent is too often actually illegal, something basically made up or asserted with creative paperwork.

That's why I urged knowing the actual legal rent. Many times it is closer to the lower figure or even below.
Well, then I guess we are in agreement because I also told him to find out what the story is from his end (and not based on what LL is telling him) and I provided a link for him to do so.

It sounded to me like he might not even be aware what preferential rent is, and that's what the lease was. I could be wrong, but if you say "LL says it's rent stabilized but it's not" -- to me this is a red flag that the lease that was signed might have included preferential rent language. So he needs to understand what that means as well.

Basically, instead of coming on here to rant and rave with a disjointed post, he needs to do some reading, or at the very least call a tenants rights hotline so they can help him understand.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, then I guess we are in agreement because I also told him to find out what the story is from his end (and not based on what LL is telling him) and I provided a link for him to do so.

It sounded to me like he might not even be aware what preferential rent is, and that's what the lease was. I could be wrong, but if you say "LL says it's rent stabilized but it's not" -- to me this is a red flag that the lease that was signed might have included preferential rent language. So he needs to understand what that means as well.

Basically, instead of coming on here to rant and rave with a disjointed post, he needs to do some reading, or at the very least call a tenants rights hotline so they can help him understand.
Met Council on Housing !
That is the task they accepted ... education. They probably get a million calls a day like this.

How can people not do the research on their own. They deserve to pay fraudulently high rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City