Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,172 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm thinking about moving to New York from Illinois and I am planning to use my current employment letter/income from out of state as income verification. However, I plan quitting my job before I move out because my company won't let me transfer to their New York office. I have about enough money to last me 4-5 months in NYC until I find a new job. So I have two questions: will brokers/landlords accept this as income verification and is this a terrible idea?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardental View Post
Hi All,

I'm thinking about moving to New York from Illinois and I am planning to use my current employment letter/income from out of state as income verification
If your current letter states, "So and so is employed by Acme Inc, in Illinois..." then I imagine that'd be a red flag for anyone reading for verification purposes.

Quote:
So I have two questions: will brokers/landlords accept this as income verification and is this a terrible idea?
Well, you will have no income, so assuming you're upfront and not trying to hide that fact that youll be unemployed, then no, I don't see how anyone could accept that as proof of income.

And if you're signing a year lease with only 4 months of living expenses in the bank, that sounds like a bad idea to me.

Don't forget that to get an apartment, you'll often need at least the first month's rent, a security deposit (equal to a month's rent), and a broker's fee (anywhere from 1 month's rent to 15% of a year's rent).

Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 PM

282 posts, read 575,283 times
No they won't and yes it is. You should never move anywhere with only a few months of money, no job prospects and no place to live. Sorry.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I thought about lying about being transferred, Would they ask for proof? I feel like they would. I basically don't want to do it, but one of my potential roommates keep saying it's fine.

As for rent, I do have enough left over for 4-5 months after the first month's rent, security deposit, and broker's fee.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Yes anyone would likely check - I would not rent to such a person.
Too much risk of not surviving here.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:30 PM

197 posts, read 530,119 times
If you wish to move to NY, you can sublet into an existing roommate situation so there's no need for income verification. That is, people who already have an apt, but looking for roommates for one of the bedrooms.
If you are looking for a new apartment, you need income and employment verification, bank statements, etc. You cannot lie.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaves View Post
If you wish to move to NY, you can sublet into an existing roommate situation so there's no need for income verification. That is, people who already have an apt, but looking for roommates for one of the bedrooms.
If you are looking for a new apartment, you need income and employment verification, bank statements, etc. You cannot lie.
This is probably the best option. You won't be locked into a lease, and worse case scenario, if things don't pan out for you here, you can move back with minimal hassle and have some cool stories to tell.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
depends on how long the landlord has been looking for a tenant. You will not be able to get in an apartment in up and coming or trendy area unless you have proof of employment for the future.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Yeah, I decided not to go ahead with the move. Just impossible without a job. Thanks for the advice all!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM

457 posts, read 736,935 times
OP,

I don't think it's a horrible idea at all. In all honesty, most management companies just require 2 paystubs and a credit check before letting you lease an apartment. Very rarely will they ask for an employment letter. It's hiring season in NYC. Hiring season is from now till labor day. It usually stops around Labor Day since the holidays roll around and people are not interested in new jobs and leaving their year end bonus behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: