Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:27 AM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

That man is like taxes; he just doesn't know when to stop.

De Blasio continues crusade against smoking at home | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
GOOD...
I spent a year smelling my neighbor's smoke until I finally figured how to overpressure my apartment (a lot of work.)
Then her son read her the riot act in a screaming bout that one could hear in Paramus, and now she goes downstairs and outside about 20 times a day.

I feel one should do anything he wants in his own home...UNTIL it affects the neighbors.

If someone wants to drink 100 gallons of sugary Coke, FINE. If one wants to shoot heroin 4 times a day, FINE. But until one can hermetically seal his apartment, smoke OUTSIDE!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
GOOD...
I spent a year smelling my neighbor's smoke until I finally figured how to overpressure my apartment (a lot of work.)
Then her son read her the riot act in a screaming bout that one could hear in Paramus, and now she goes downstairs and outside about 20 times a day.

I feel one should do anything he wants in his own home...UNTIL it affects the neighbors.

If someone wants to drink 100 gallons of sugary Coke, FINE. If one wants to shoot heroin 4 times a day, FINE. But until one can hermetically seal his apartment, smoke OUTSIDE!
Except when they go outside to smoke it usually is in front of someone else's apartment. Ever think about that?

Know persons who live on ground, first and second floor apartments (sometimes higher) that have to put up with smokers day and night puffing away. Sitting on stoops or fire escapes, standing in front of the building and everything else. Often they bring their tablets, phones or laptops along with a beverage and perhaps a snack. Worse is when a group decide to hold a Kaffee klastch out there puffing and chatting away.

All smoking bans have truly done is shift the behavior around. Don't believe me? Walk about NYC especially Manhattan day or night and it won't take long to find someone standing outside of a building smoking away. a

Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,707 times
KK, I agree with a lot of your posts on here....but I am gonna have to disagree this time. Yes, it's a nuisance for the neighbors for people to be limited to smoking in their homes, but there are solutions as you mentioned. Maybe not the best/easiest, but they exist.

Whenever I see people smoking on the street, I get nauseous and angry - why should I have to smell your disgusting smoke just because I have the misfortune to be walking near you? And then they just throw the butts in the street. Smokers are really some of the worst.

I don't get political very often, but if anyone ever proposed banning smoking on the street, I would campaign for them.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
If they do this it needs to be for cigarettes, cigars, and weed. I find weed much worse then the smell of cigarettes.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
I have second hand smoke so this is good news for me. Would of been nice if this happened 25 years ago.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
KK, I agree with a lot of your posts on here....but I am gonna have to disagree this time. Yes, it's a nuisance for the neighbors for people to be limited to smoking in their homes, but there are solutions as you mentioned. Maybe not the best/easiest, but they exist.

Whenever I see people smoking on the street, I get nauseous and angry - why should I have to smell your disgusting smoke just because I have the misfortune to be walking near you? And then they just throw the butts in the street. Smokers are really some of the worst.

I don't get political very often, but if anyone ever proposed banning smoking on the street, I would campaign for them.
You leave your home/apartment clean fresh and dressed to impress. Maybe going out on the town or just to work or an appointment. Bam! You walk though a haze of cigarette, cigar or whatever smoke and now smell as if you've been in a club all night.

Or you spend hours cleaning your apartment and everything smells (and looks) wonderful. Then someone starts puffing away outside your window and in a short period the place stinks.

One reason so many persons on lower floors pretty much keep their windows shut 24/7 is to keep out not just noise but various forms of tobacco or weed fumes. You are also seeing more and more signs in such apartment windows requesting or even demanding persons not smoke/talk in front of them.

Mark my words, sooner or later someone is going to snap and go off on a smoker outside their apartment.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
Cigarette smoke in the street is way down on my list of annoying things that I'd suppress if we became Singapore.

I think #1 this summer is guys who sit on their sport bikes at the curbside permanent unofficial block party for hours gunning the engine at 120 decibels to draw attention to themselves without moving.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
I can't stand that smokers throw their cigarettes on the ground when they are finished with them.
How disgusting!
Why don't they throw them away?
Why don't they ever get arrested for littering?
What if I chewed gum all day and constantly was throwing the chewed gum and the wrappers on the street?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 PM

518 posts, read 826,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I can't stand that smokers throw their cigarettes on the ground when they are finished with them.
How disgusting!
Why don't they throw them away?
Why don't they ever get arrested for littering?
What if I chewed gum all day and constantly was throwing the chewed gum and the wrappers on the street?
If we can't throw them on the ground, but you want them thrown away, then I'm a little confused.

I suppose it is littering, but arrest for littering are rare even for non smokers like gum chewers. Summonses are issued for littering, but then the summons usually becomes liter too.

In Singapore they spank people for chewing gum in public. Maybe that's the way to go until deBlasio gets sent packing in the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City