Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 AM

62 posts, read 123,672 times

Advertisements

I work on Wall Street in one of the large investment banking firms and it's tough. Really tough. Super tough. I have never seen so much yelling and screaming and big egos and long hours anyplace else I have worked ever. The hours people put in and the demands that are put on them.

We all work at least 70 hours a week and the young hot shots work over 100 hours.

Is there anyplace tougher to work than Wall Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:30 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times
Well, residents in hospitals also work long hours, the difference is, they feel like they are doing something meaningful as opposed to the paper pushing and number crunching that kills one's soul on Wall Street, so to answer your question, it is certainly a very, very tough place to work for, but when compared to Chilean miners, it's a picnic. The higher you are on the Street, the fewer hours you work, or, you gain valuable experience and get out, go someplace that pays maybe a bit less but has an amazing work life balance.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM

257 posts, read 684,818 times
Very farm from it. As babysladkaya pointed out you could be working in a mine, coughing your lungs out with silicosis. You could be picking tomatoes from before dawn until sunset in 100F heat. The safety of hundreds, thousands, or even millions of people can be in your hands. Easy to come up with a multitude of examples of jobs that are more physically or emotionally demanding, or entail much much greater responsibilities.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,981 times
Caregiver. 24/7/365. No pay.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
And yet you found time to post on this forum lol.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:00 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,774 times

Old 07-07-2015, 01:35 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Those bad work-life balance things (white-collar version) can also be found among Hill staffers in Washington, associates at big corporate law firms in DC, NYC, and other alpha cities, at lots of tech shops in Silicon Valley, and as someone already mentioned, for hospital residencies.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM

56 posts, read 73,953 times
we've got a real gordon gecko on our hands

Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
I work on Wall Street in one of the large investment banking firms and it's tough. Really tough. Super tough. I have never seen so much yelling and screaming and big egos and long hours anyplace else I have worked ever. The hours people put in and the demands that are put on them.

We all work at least 70 hours a week and the young hot shots work over 100 hours.

I want to make sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether there could possibly be anything tougher than working in a prestigious high-power job at a prestigious location in what's essentially a comfortable office environment (air conditioning, etc.) with lucrative salaries and the possibility of a golden future?

Well, yeah. For instance, from what I've read, working in chicken slaughterhouses in the south, where you wade in blood, at minimum wage with repetitive stress injuries is probably a bit worse.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post

I'd disagree for two reasons. First of all it's not manual labor. Second, the $$$ you make and the type of partying (aka models & bottles or hookers & blow depending on your taste) you can do with it is on another level (at least for addictive personalities, probably doesn't get much better ). Probably not sustainable forever though.

Full disclosure: I do not work on Wall Street, but I know folks that are high level consultants that have worked extensively with firms on the Street including Goldman Sachs.

I actually work in the white collar part of the manufacturing sector in the Midwest. I visit NYC relatively frequently to catch up with old friends from the East Coast, however. I'm based in Chicago (soon Metro Detroit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City