Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times

Advertisements

So, I've been wanting to do some Hammocking in a park, something like Central or Prospect Park but I'm not sure if that's even allowed. I know it's a silly question but I really don't know if it's fine to do or not. Considering how wacky some of the laws in NYC can be. I don't intend to spend the night but just to hangout for a picnic or something.

Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I am going to guess that the police will pester you for hammocking: it's what they DO. If you complain, that's resisting arrest. If you are black they will kill you.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:06 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am going to guess that the police will pester you for hammocking: it's what they DO. If you complain, that's resisting arrest. If you are black they will kill you.
Do black cops still kill blacks?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Don't know the answer but there is a dedicated hammock area on Governors Island. It doesn't look that relaxing to me...no shade. https://govisland.com/activities/hammocks

Old 06-24-2017, 10:19 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
So, I've been wanting to do some Hammocking in a park, something like Central or Prospect Park but I'm not sure if that's even allowed. I know it's a silly question but I really don't know if it's fine to do or not. Considering how wacky some of the laws in NYC can be. I don't intend to spend the night but just to hangout for a picnic or something.

Thanks for any info

My husband has brought his hammock to the park before and no one has bothered him about it.

We have one of those that does not damage the tree---it has bands that wrap and tighten.

How is it different if you put down a blanket and lie down/take a nap?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:27 AM

199 posts, read 518,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Grass grows faster than trees.
If you don't use a proper tree strap that spreads the load across a larger area, you can permanently damage the tree.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...01-Tree-Damage

Old 06-25-2017, 09:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My husband has brought his hammock to the park before and no one has bothered him about it.

We have one of those that does not damage the tree---it has bands that wrap and tighten.

Just be lucky Park Rangers are not around. They would tell your husband to take down the hammock. Thankfully upper class tiered folks get special privileges in this city. I remember walking through Prospect Park with my GF, and saw transient types doing tight-rope between two trees. On the other end of the tree I can see the tree bark being chewed by the ropes which is being walked on by a BBWish Midwestern woman.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:13 PM

783 posts, read 576,099 times
I heard that hammocking in NYC parks is a great way to get shanked.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman357 View Post
Grass grows faster than trees.
If you don't use a proper tree strap that spreads the load across a larger area, you can permanently damage the tree.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...01-Tree-Damage
Gee, did you not comprehend the sentence I wrote directly above that---we have one of those that does not damage the tree---it has bands that wrap and tighten. That is basically my way of suggesting that is how it should be done. I wasn't referencing damage either---my point was if you can sleep on the ground on a blanket, someone could do the same in a hammock and as long as they aren't there long-term/overnight, I don't see the difference. What I am getting at is if someone wouldn't bother someone lying down on the ground, why bother someone in a hammock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Just be lucky Park Rangers are not around. They would tell your husband to take down the hammock. Thankfully upper class tiered folks get special privileges in this city. I remember walking through Prospect Park with my GF, and saw transient types doing tight-rope between two trees. On the other end of the tree I can see the tree bark being chewed by the ropes which is being walked on by a BBWish Midwestern woman.
It probably helps he doesn't look transient. Or that I never see park rangers except in parks upstate. Or that he probably wouldn't bring it to a very busy park that always has cops walking around. If someone asked him to remove it, he wouldn't be a jerk about it.

And it is very easy to buy a hammock that doesn't damage trees. Go camping upstate and you will find more than half of the campsites are filled with them.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
I think Hammocks are more for camping, backcountry. Im not fond of sleeping or dozing in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City