Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:01 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,315 times

Advertisements

seems i know many people leaving NYC for "greener pastures" in North Carolina, Texas (Austin, specifically), Florida and the like.

do you see this same trend? where are they moving to? why? have they come back?

maybe the grass really IS greener?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:18 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,963,078 times
some like green grasses, some like concrete/brick shoe boxes.
some like urban dwelling, some like country living.
know what you need and want first, then make your own decision accordingly.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
If someone left NYC for good, they are posting on other forums most likely. I have seen a number of threads by people who left and came back though.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:45 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Please leave already so that those of us that actually like living here can do so at a more reasonable cost. Can you also take our PJ dwellers with you?

Old 09-01-2015, 01:08 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
I left brooklyn, but I'm still technically in the nyc metro area since I moved to nassau county. I do have nice green grass lawn that I didn't have when I lived in dumbo. So the grass is greener here.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,963,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I left brooklyn, but I'm still technically in the nyc metro area since I moved to nassau county. I do have nice green grass lawn that I didn't have when I lived in dumbo. So the grass is greener here.
How do you like the prolonged commute?
You may have not felt the pain yet.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
I work in long island, so commute became exponentially easier.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Forget about just the commute, that grass doesn't magically stay green on its own.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
How do you like the prolonged commute?
You may have not felt the pain yet.
My 45 min commute from Westchester on a one-ride clean train where I always get a seat, above-ground, and where most people are reading or snoozing is infinitely better than the 30 min two subway commute I had when I lived in the city. And I can get a beer at the concessions on the platform for the ride home. The commute is way better. Its the convenience of delis, diversity of restaurants etc which is different out here.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
seems i know many people leaving NYC for "greener pastures" in North Carolina, Texas (Austin, specifically), Florida and the like.

do you see this same trend? where are they moving to? why? have they come back?

maybe the grass really IS greener?
What I have noticed over the years is that plenty of native city folks are moving to the burbs. Burbs have better housing options, better public schools and overall better tranquility of raising a family. Most that I I know dread on not moving back to NYC. I have a coworker who has bought a house in Florida, and another is looking for a 2nd home in Florida. Most New Yorkers are moving to Florida, PA, NJ, TX, NC and GA. I know of a couple of friends in Florida, all they do is take a one or two week vacation to NYC to get their NYC fix on.

On the flip side plenty of young well heeled educated suburbanites are moving into cities for supposedly cheaper housing options, improving career or obtaining career, educational advancement, nightlife, creativity and arts etc.

Most of my native NYC friends express leaving the city, while some have moved upstate for peace and quiet or out of state in general. Transplant folks that I know love NYC even though they are a bit arrogant and have not fully explored the breath NYC except for Manhattan and immediate inner city neighborhoods that straddle along Manhattan. Transplant folks that I know love NYC due to what it has to offer that burbs and other small cities do not have. Overall it all boils down to wants needs, and general change of pace of life of an individual who grew up in the city vs those who grew up in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City