Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:51 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
My husband was a lifer until 2001, when I dragged him out to NJ to start a family.
NJ has some of the highest property taxes in the country. Shouldn't have dragged him there.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NJ has some of the highest property taxes in the country. Shouldn't have dragged him there.
Well you don't have to buy.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
True - but as she said start a family, I assumed homeownership.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM

15,864 posts, read 14,487,406 times
And you don't think the property taxes drive the rents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
And you don't think the property taxes drive the rents?
to an extent yes

Old 09-04-2015, 06:16 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
I was not a native New Yorker, but I lived on the UWS for a ling time. Then, I made the jump to Southern California, mostly due to the nice weather out here.

Although we are currently in the middle of a drought, and very recently went through a heat wave, I still very much enjoy the weather.

I'm a morning person, so that even on hot days, I can take advantage of the cool AM temps and walk my dog up and down our hilly streets. We are also ocean-close, but not in a beach city, so some mornings, I take her for a long relaxing walk near the water. I also go there mid-week.

I'll admit that even though I am always security conscious, I have no real worries about walking around at that time; and that's a real bonus to living here.

Drought or no drought, I appreciate the year-round abundance of trees, shrubs, parks and flowering plants. My city uses a lot of drought-tolerant plants, as well as recycled waste water, and that means we still see greenery.

My city was also built on top of a hill range, and code requirements generally prohibit the construction of anything greater than 3 stories in height. That means that we have some very nice views. For example, it's not unusual to glance over and see distant snow-capped mountains in the wintertime, while casually strolling along in 65 degree temps.

The tallest building on the city, an insurance company, is only 9 stories high, but it sits atop the highest hill in the city and does not obstruct much. Other office buildings of about 4 stories are clustered together in the center of the city. Still, given the hilly terrain, even their occupants usually have nice views.

Housing, although expensive, is a relative bargain in comparison to NYC. What's more, just about everyone ( homeowners, but not all renters) has an attached garage. So, there are no concerns about finding a parking space once you get home. I definitely don't miss alternate-side-of-the-street parking.

Traffic is crazy on the freeways and main surface street arteries, but slow and manageable inside housing developments where I live.

The same is true regarding noise. You can truly relax once you get home.

I do miss NYC's great cultural vibe, architecture, and wide choice of restaurants, but you can never have it all.

PS

I live in Aliso Viejo, but no one has ever heard of it. For a point of reference, we neighbor Laguna Beach. There are a lot of NYC transplants here. That might be because we are not a traditional SoCal burb, in that we are densely populated with a preponderance of apartments, townhouses and condos, as opposed to a lot of SFRs. We small (7.47 sq mi). People mingle.

PS to the PS

I almost forgot to mention that there is plenty of fresh produce all year-round.

Last edited by pacific2; 09-04-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Laguna Beach is beautiful. I moved to Encinitas (San Diego) 7 months ago. No Regrets. Ocean temps 74 degrees today...went boogie boarding before breakfast.

Love It.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 21,754 times
Quote:
If you hate to drive you have little choice where to live in the United States without being significantly inconvenienced.
Driving in NYC is expensive, due to tolls, and inconvenient, due to population density (i.e. traffic jams), and streets built before cars were invented. But most other big cities have population densities between 1/3 to 1/10 of Brooklyn or Queens. Driving in those cities is much more convenient than taking the subway in NYC.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Crassus View Post
Driving in NYC is expensive, due to tolls, and inconvenient, due to population density (i.e. traffic jams), and streets built before cars were invented. But most other big cities have population densities between 1/3 to 1/10 of Brooklyn or Queens. Driving in those cities is much more convenient than taking the subway in NYC.
Did it for many years. Drove and parked in Manhattan. It wasn't -terrible- but once you wanted to get out to Westchester, LI, Jersey, SI, or out late nights (which I did OFTEN)... driving is a significant time-saver.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Crassus View Post
Driving in NYC is work, no doubt about it. Not only for the reasons you stated, but the sheer amount of morons that are oblivious behind the wheel. Add to that the massive amount of 3rd world imbeciles who couldn't drive if they're life depended on it. Very frustrating. That being said, I would much rather drive then be stuck with these same people on public transit. No way no how.

But driving in other places around the country, it's a pleasure. Roads are well kept, lots of wide open lanes etc. Like i said before, the metro area is a sh*thole for many reasons. No reason to live like this. Few short years and my pension is mine, you NYC tax payers will be funding my relaxed retirement in a very warm and beautiful place far away from here. Gotta love it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City