Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:43 AM

539 posts, read 523,876 times

Advertisements

If this was 25 years ago I'd understand safety as an issue to leave. Or if you live in East New York and are too poor to move somewhere else. Otherwise, NYC is in the top tier of safest cities in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Oh, boy. It looks like I have unintentionally hurt some feelings.
Because your comment makes no sense.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Because your comment makes no sense.
Admittedly, it would have been better if I had used my 5 AM walk time as an example, instead of 8:15 PM.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
If this was 25 years ago I'd understand safety as an issue to leave. Or if you live in East New York and are too poor to move somewhere else. Otherwise, NYC is in the top tier of safest cities in North America.
As I stated in my first post, I left because of the weather, not due to safety issues.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Admittedly, it would have been better if I had used my 5 AM walk time as an example, instead of 8:15 PM.
Still an irrelevant post in the context of this thread.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Still an irrelevant post in the context of this thread.
It's actually quite relevant, even if it inadvertently ruffles feathers:

Maybe the grass really IS greener? Share stories of leaving New York

The OP asked for people to share stories, not give PC responses.

What is irrelevant is this inordinate focus on one of my statements, as it threatens to derail the thread.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It's actually quite relevant, even if it inadvertently ruffles feathers:

Maybe the grass really IS greener? Share stories of leaving New York

The OP asked for people to share stories, not give PC responses.

What is irrelevant is this inordinate focus on one of my statements, as it threatens to derail the thread.
You were scared to walk your dog at 8pm in NYC?

Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was going to agree with you til I got to your last paragraph. That's a sick opinion. Maybe you should focus on the men not being "rapist material". It takes a rapist/criminal to determine if a woman or child is "rape material". The way you stated this, you sound like you have the mindset of a rapist, if you think you are able to determine who is "rape material" or not. Disgusting.

P.S. Was this woman "rape material" Woman, 73, Raped in Central Park in Broad Daylight?
How gender normative of you.
I'd like to believe I live in a society where men can be raped too, and women could be rapists of other women.

I'm offensive and horrible, I'll admit. My point still stands that some people use all kinds of excuses and latent prejudice in depicting scenes that aren't going to happen.

People will commit crimes. People will be victims.
People will abide by the law. People will be safe.

If you don't feel safe on the streets of New York City- you're likely the kind who projects a sense of fear that in reality is accusations to those around you. Maybe that's a great way to be made a target.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:38 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Although the crime stats are down, from my perspective living in NYC is not a natural state of living. It's like living in a rumbling, noisy, confined car engine. I am battling PTSD so it's highly magnified for me. Existing in such an environment is bound to heighten healthy peoples senses and contribute to a sense of being unsafe. I also get that some people have accepted this way of living as normal. To me it's the abnormal becoming normal.
I'm in a place right now that has space, real safety, nice people, entertainment, access to nature, and the only thing that I hear right now is the wind and birds singing. That is normal to me.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Although the crime stats are down, from my perspective living in NYC is not a natural state of living. It's like living in a rumbling, noisy, confined car engine. I am battling PTSD so it's highly magnified for me. Existing in such an environment is bound to heighten healthy peoples senses and contribute to a sense of being unsafe. I also get that some people have accepted this way of living as normal. To me it's the abnormal becoming normal.
I'm in a place right now that has space, real safety, nice people, entertainment, access to nature, and the only thing that I hear right now is the wind and birds singing. That is normal to me.
This does make sense to me, and I may end up living in a place like that someday because eventually I'm going to need more space, but I actually really like the idea of the rumbling car engine -- as long as the actual noise can't be heard from my living space. There's something very comforting to me about knowing I can walk 5 minutes from my apartment and be in the middle of things...if I want to. I am really afraid if I move somewhere with too much of the sound of birds singing and not much else that I will feel bored, restless and too much stillness.

So, I guess it's to each his own. I grew up in a birds-singing kind of place and I moved to a city because I love the energy and the options of going out whenever I want to meet up with people who are involved in a similar occupation. I'm also lucky that even though I live in a congested area, my actual apartment faces a garden and is extremely quiet (pin drop kind of quiet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City