Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM

278 posts, read 1,186,638 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if you really need a car in Bay Ridge. I don't know if I should buy one before I leave NJ or just go ahead and come without a car. I know public transit in most of NYC is great but how is it in Bay Ridge? Thanks for helping.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM

124 posts, read 440,519 times
Parking in Bay Ridge is a nightmare. My kids' pediatrician was in Bay Ridge, and there were times I spent upwards of half an hour driving around looking for parking. Throw in alternate side days and metered parking, and IMO it's just not worth the trouble.

There's the R train and a number of buses that go into Bay Ridge. I know the R train is really pokey, but it connects with a whole bunch of other trains and it will (eventually) get you into Manhattan.

Where will you be commuting to?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM

278 posts, read 1,186,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
Parking in Bay Ridge is a nightmare. My kids' pediatrician was in Bay Ridge, and there were times I spent upwards of half an hour driving around looking for parking. Throw in alternate side days and metered parking, and IMO it's just not worth the trouble.

There's the R train and a number of buses that go into Bay Ridge. I know the R train is really pokey, but it connects with a whole bunch of other trains and it will (eventually) get you into Manhattan.

Where will you be commuting to?
I'm not exactly sure. I just wanted to get general info so I know if it would be fine if I didn't have a car. I suppose I'll be in Manhattan a lot I'm just not sure exactly where.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
I have lived in Bay Ridge on and off for almost 15 years and I've never had a car of my own though I have borrowed one for extensive periods (2-3 months) and thus had the experience of both.

It can be tough with a car because parking is tight, as was stated above. This is particularly true after about 10PM as most people are in for the night. It does depend to some extent on where you live. I discovered that on 7th Ave on the Bensonhurst side of the highway, there is generally ample parking at all times along McKinley Park near 75th Street, which was about 10-15 mins walk from my house. There was some hesitation about leaving the car for a few days on a long deserted block next to a park, but I've never had any problems there. That said, I never bothered to get a car myself because I didn't think it was worth the trouble and the cost.

As for whether you need a car, no. There are plenty of shops, restaurants within walking distance and for the city there is the R train, which is slow but you can transfer to the express pretty soon. There are also express buses in part of the neighborhood. Again, the train issue gets to be a pain mostly later at night. If you're out in Manhattan you're looking at 2 or 3 different trains to get back since the R doesn't run beyond 36 St, Brooklyn, after 10 or 11, and is slow and local the whole way before that. Depending on how lucky you are with train connections, it can be a breeze or a LONG ride home. I got tired of choosing between that and a $35 cab ride, and stopped staying out late in the city as much.

I'm moving out of there because I also got to a point where I didn't leave the neighborhood much on winter weekends since I didn't feel like doing the train again, which started to feel like a pretty boring life. But that's just me, there are lots of other people who are not as tired of the train ride and enjoy themselves in Manhattan all weekend without needing a car to get there.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 18,441 times
I have a car in Bay ridge and I wouldn't want to be without one. Its great for traveling around Brookyn. I use it to go to costco, Bensonhurst for pizza, Sheepshead bay for fishing and Rollin' Roaster, and driving to Brooklyn Chinatown to buy seafood. Brooklyn has a lot to offer and to make the most of it you have to have a car to drive around. I even drive into the city on the weekends because the train runs so slow on the weekends. I always find parking on my block or two blocks away at most. I only have to move it on Monday and Tuesday. After Tuesday I leave the car in its spot for the rest of the week. If you don't plan on going to the places I mentioned on a regular basis then, no, you don't need a car in Bay Ridge.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,557 times
In my time in Bay Ridge I always had a car. Just alone for grocery shopping its worth it. I used to figure every once in a while I'd get a parking ticket.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Parking could be a pain in the butt in Bay Ridge. Having a car would be great for driving around the Borough or on road trips. Though I wouldn't drive to Manhattan. Just take the R to 59th St. Then hop on the N
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City