Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times

Advertisements

Article:
EXCLUSIVE: New York 2015 - FOUR THOUSAND sleeping on the streets, 80 homeless encampments in the city and beggars making $75 a day as arrests for panhandling and street drinking plunge

"He [Giuliani] revealed last month how he had complained at his local police precinct about a homeless man who was urinating near his Upper East Side home. He told NBC 4 New York that his message was: 'You chase 'em and you chase 'em and you chase 'em and you chase 'em, and they either get the treatment that they need or you chase 'em out of the city."

So Giuliani must be familiar with the sight of this woman??

I have personally seen many more homeless recently, so it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:48 AM

79 posts, read 84,777 times
I agree with this article. These bums love it here. No work, no responsibility, free food, free cans, free money, everything's free, they don't mind anything. Its the city officials who allow this but it is not right. I'm sure they're obamacare insurance will cover some sort of halfway house or a rehab for their addictions. These aren't regular people without jobs, these are addicts that chose their addictions over a real life.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
I agree with this article. These bums love it here. No work, no responsibility, free food, free cans, free money, everything's free, they don't mind anything. Its the city officials who allow this but it is not right. I'm sure they're obamacare insurance will cover some sort of halfway house or a rehab for their addictions. These aren't regular people without jobs, these are addicts that chose their addictions over a real life.
Have you spoken to these people or otherwise dealt with this population? Or you just making assumptions on why they are HOMELESS?

Bratton said that the police by law cannot stop homeless people for begging or arrest them simply because they are homeless. They do have constitutional rights. Now if they are aggressively panhandling or committing some kind of crime or making encampments that block the streets or prevent access to buildings then the cops can do something.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Article:
EXCLUSIVE: New York 2015 - FOUR THOUSAND sleeping on the streets, 80 homeless encampments in the city and beggars making $75 a day as arrests for panhandling and street drinking plunge

"He [Giuliani] revealed last month how he had complained at his local police precinct about a homeless man who was urinating near his Upper East Side home. He told NBC 4 New York that his message was: 'You chase 'em and you chase 'em and you chase 'em and you chase 'em, and they either get the treatment that they need or you chase 'em out of the city."

Welcome to move to the outer boros, Mr. Giuliani, where homeless is a lesser problem...

Old 09-04-2015, 03:55 PM

372 posts, read 398,378 times
Union Square has effectively become a tent city. Frankly it's hard to sympathize when you're being harassed for change twenty times a day.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:23 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times

Now I understand why the US unemployment number makes a new low today: beggars are likely considered as employed in some cities...

Old 09-04-2015, 05:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
A cop once told me that if a person spits and it hits you that's an assault why? Because you got hit with spit. Call the cops, press charges have the bum arrested. But if you decide to beat down the bum because you
got hit with spit then you'll go to jail for assault. Unless you run and get away.l will say this stay as far away
as possible to avoid the spit germ...😷.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:44 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
A cop once told me that if a person spits and it hits you that's an assault why? Because you got hit with spit. Call the cops, press charges have the bum arrested. But if you decide to beat down the bum because you
got hit with spit then you'll go to jail for assault.
What about spitting back at the offender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Unless you run and get away.l will say this stay as far away
as possible to avoid the spit germ...😷.
If you are referring to the crazy spitting woman on UES, it's not so easy to stay far away from her. Often you don't even notice she's nearby, until a sudden "AH!!!" burst out right next to you. I witnessed this once when she gave another pedestrian a shock by suddenly spitting within a yard behind him.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:44 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Article:

Things are tough all over...

Old 09-05-2015, 05:04 AM

11 posts, read 19,868 times
He,

Thank you for posting this useful link. I have been reading many articles recently regarding the same topic. I don't understand why officials are not taking any action against these people. They should be treated before this addiction issue spreads around.

These people have chosen the wrong way for their life but they should be shown the right way by officials so these people doesn't encourage others to choose the same life as them.

I hope officials do something soon about this.

Regards,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City