Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 10:19 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Things must be really bad if stores are locking down cheap meat, if you can call SPAM meat.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/30/spam-g...-to-inflation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 03:23 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Things must be really bad if stores are locking down cheap meat, if you can call SPAM meat.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/30/spam-g...-to-inflation/
This ladies and gentlemen, is the beauty of capitalism

Whoever is manufacturing the cases just bought themselves a new Audi

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2022, 03:48 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
if you can call SPAM meat.
IT IS MEAT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)
SPAM - basic ingredients are primarily pork shoulder and ham, with salt, water, modified potato starch (as a binder), sugar, and sodium nitrite (as a preservative). Natural gelatin is formed during cooking in its tins on the production line.

The product was intended to increase the sale of pork shoulder, a cut which did not sell well.
Denigration of the product began during WW2, because it was used so much, that the G.I.s bemoaned eating it all the time. But that didn't mean it was bad in any way. (Ironically, servants also objected to being repeatedly fed lobster in the 19th century.)
But the proliferation of spam during WW2, due to the scarcity of fresh meat, endeared it to many non-US areas and exotic cuisines.

Spam is a nutritious food, and now that the food police are backing off on attacking fat and salt, it's no longer suspect on those grounds. It's also compatible with Ketogenic diets ("Keto friendly"). And its long shelf life makes it an ideal item for your long term reserve.
https://tasty.co/article/tanyachen/s...ys-to-eat-spam

Old 07-31-2022, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This ladies and gentlemen, is the beauty of capitalism

Whoever is manufacturing the cases just bought themselves a new Audi
Those cases are pretty much useless IMHO. Eegits just take whole lot, then whack at case to get at contents.

Went into RA at 96th and Second other night, nearly everything was in cases or otherwise locked down. Toilet paper, laundry products, most house cleaning supplies... Beer and popular beverages also are locked down.

At some point you have to wonder "WTF", and just order off Amazon. That's our normal MO these days but favorite cereal was on sale at RA cheaper than Amazon...

Pretty soon places are going to be like everything once (or still is far as I know) uptown in Harlem and above.

You walk into a shop and there's a small waiting area; rest of entire GD store is behind thick walls. You tell cashier/clerk (who themselves are behind thick bullet proof glass window) what you want, they will fetch it and various contraptions or methods are used to get you your stuff and make payment.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:16 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Those cases are pretty much useless IMHO. Eegits just take whole lot, then whack at case to get at contents.

Went into RA at 96th and Second other night, nearly everything was in cases or otherwise locked down. Toilet paper, laundry products, most house cleaning supplies... Beer and popular beverages also are locked down.

At some point you have to wonder "WTF", and just order off Amazon. That's our normal MO these days but favorite cereal was on sale at RA cheaper than Amazon...

Pretty soon places are going to be like everything once (or still is far as I know) uptown in Harlem and above.

You walk into a shop and there's a small waiting area; rest of entire GD store is behind thick walls. You tell cashier/clerk (who themselves are behind thick bullet proof glass window) what you want, they will fetch it and various contraptions or methods are used to get you your stuff and make payment.
Meh

Retail shopping is only enjoyable when it's high end

In the Prada store they offered me champagne while I tried on shoes

Nothing glamorous about buying SPAM

But like I said, whoever is making the cases just bought a new Audi

Capitalism

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2022, 05:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
In the Prada store they offered me champagne while I tried on shoes
But, can you buy SPAM there.

I love SPAM, usually the low-salt variety, but I cannot countenance the recent 100% price increase.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:48 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:

Not sure why you even bother with RA or CVS. Stopped going to those places and just stop at Whole Foods and Target. Target has nothing locked up and the prices are better for things like Perrier, snacks, etc. Don't buy much cereal from them, but they have those GMO free veggie sticks at a good price that I like by Sensible Portions.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not sure why you even bother with RA or CVS. Stopped going to those places and just stop at Whole Foods and Target. Target has nothing locked up and the prices are better for things like Perrier, snacks, etc. Don't buy much cereal from them, but they have those GMO free veggie sticks at a good price that I like by Sensible Portions.
Lately neither WF or Target are much better in terms of full shelves.

Trader Joe's seems slightly better, but am not always down by Bridge Market or Union Square.

Bulk of our shopping is done in NJ anyway. Odd trips to RA or whatever are for deals on special or running low on something that cannot wait. RA's sales on Charmin and Bounty are way better than most deals at Amazon. Unless you buy that Presto tp and paper towels.

Also am getting a bit ticked off at it is becoming less and less obvious on Amazon who you're buying from nowadays. They've got effing way to many third party sellers and you don't always find that out until something goes wrong.

You also cannot order from WF on Amazon unless you're Prime, and I dropped that bit awhile ago.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:03 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Lately neither WF or Target are much better in terms of full shelves.

Trader Joe's seems slightly better, but am not always down by Bridge Market or Union Square.

Bulk of our shopping is done in NJ anyway. Odd trips to RA or whatever are for deals on special or running low on something that cannot wait. RA's sales on Charmin and Bounty are way better than most deals at Amazon. Unless you buy that Presto tp and paper towels.

Also am getting a bit ticked off at it is becoming less and less obvious on Amazon who you're buying from nowadays. They've got effing way to many third party sellers and you don't always find that out until something goes wrong.

You also cannot order from WF on Amazon unless you're Prime, and I dropped that bit awhile ago.
Never did the delivery thing with Amazon for WF because cannot stand having someone else pick over my food. For that, I go in-person, but do order dry goods like cereal from Vitacost once in a while. Speaking of Amazon, called myself ordering from e-Bay the other day. Seller was apparently on Amazon. Very quick delivery though.

Also shop in NJ, but haven't been doing so lately.

Back to SPAM.... Mother liked that stuff. She always kept a can handy with fried eggs or something. I ate it occasionally as a kid - sometimes even had SPAM sandwiches lol, but have not eaten it in many many years. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
IT IS MEAT.

SPAM - basic ingredients are primarily pork shoulder and ham, with salt, water, modified potato starch (as a binder), sugar, and sodium nitrite (as a preservative). Natural gelatin is formed during cooking in its tins on the production line.

The product was intended to increase the sale of pork shoulder, a cut which did not sell well.
Denigration of the product began during WW2, because it was used so much, that the G.I.s bemoaned eating it all the time. But that didn't mean it was bad in any way. (Ironically, servants also objected to being repeatedly fed lobster in the 19th century.)
But the proliferation of spam during WW2, due to the scarcity of fresh meat, endeared it to many non-US areas and exotic cuisines.

Spam is a nutritious food, and now that the food police are backing off on attacking fat and salt, it's no longer suspect on those grounds. It's also compatible with Ketogenic diets ("Keto friendly"). And its long shelf life makes it an ideal item for your long term reserve.
Since when is SPAM nutritious? Growing up as a kid, it was an occasional "treat" if I would call it that (felt like it was eaten when nothing else was around and then we remembered how tasty it could be sliced and cooked up and browned lol) but I certainly wouldn't call it healthy or nutritious. lol It's right in line with bacon. Hell whenever I buy bacon for example, I buy the organic uncured one to limit nitrates, etc, but you still should not eat any of that stuff regularly. Pancetta, SPAM any of those pork products should be eaten as a treat and in moderation. Load up on organic veggies and organic fruits where possible. No wonder our country is so obese.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
IT IS MEAT.

SPAM is only slightly less gross than scrapple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duFierM1yDg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: