Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times

Advertisements

---Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread--

I've been interested in the NYC area for a while. I have visited and spent a summer in Queens (2months), while I do love everything about being in a urban city. The rent for me is insane. I'm looking to move to the area in the near future after I obtain my BSN (I have three years) and I'll save up some money for about a year in order to move. I've been interested in cities in close proximity to NYC and it's boroughs & and I've been researching a little about Yonkers from what I see it's right next to the Bronx. I have a list of things I do like and would like feedback!

-Transportation- I have a car and it's a must for me to have my own transportation but I'm open to taking other modes of transportation as well

-I like diversity I know some of you guys might not like what I have to say but I'm a Black guys in my 20's and I want to to feel welcomed in the area. I don't want to seem like an outcast because of the color of my skin. However I don't want to be in an exclusive all BLACK neighborhood either.

-Nightlight - How is nightlife in Yonkers..I know NYC is right there and I will be down going out for partying in NYC as well but I'd like to know how Yonkers nightlight is.

-Rent how much should I expect to pay a month for a one bedroom/bathroom place in a decent area of Yonkers

-Crime Low Crime/Mid crime areas (I'm not involved in any gangs or such and I would like to be away from that)

-Attractions- I love museums and theme parks any good ones in the area? Zoos's?

-Things for children to do- Right now I don't have kids, but I do plan on having them in the future.

-Hospitals- What are good hospitals in the area I don't might commuting either.

-Parking- How is parking in the area? If I have an apartment would I have to pay for parking?

etc..Have any other ideas you want to cover please say so? Also, I am open to other cities around the NYC Metro as well.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:11 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
---Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread--

I've been interested in the NYC area for a while. I have visited and spent a summer in Queens (2months), while I do love everything about being in a urban city. The rent for me is insane. I'm looking to move to the area in the near future after I obtain my BSN (I have three years) and I'll save up some money for about a year in order to move. I've been interested in cities in close proximity to NYC and it's boroughs & and I've been researching a little about Yonkers from what I see it's right next to the Bronx. I have a list of things I do like and would like feedback!

-Transportation- I have a car and it's a must for me to have my own transportation but I'm open to taking other modes of transportation as well

-I like diversity I know some of you guys might not like what I have to say but I'm a Black guys in my 20's and I want to to feel welcomed in the area. I don't want to seem like an outcast because of the color of my skin. However I don't want to be in an exclusive all BLACK neighborhood either.

-Nightlight - How is nightlife in Yonkers..I know NYC is right there and I will be down going out for partying in NYC as well but I'd like to know how Yonkers nightlight is.

-Rent how much should I expect to pay a month for a one bedroom/bathroom place in a decent area of Yonkers

-Crime Low Crime/Mid crime areas (I'm not involved in any gangs or such and I would like to be away from that)

-Attractions- I love museums and theme parks any good ones in the area? Zoos's?

-Things for children to do- Right now I don't have kids, but I do plan on having them in the future.

-Hospitals- What are good hospitals in the area I don't might commuting either.

-Parking- How is parking in the area? If I have an apartment would I have to pay for parking?

etc..Have any other ideas you want to cover please say so? Also, I am open to other cities around the NYC Metro as well.

Thanks everyone!
How much do you think you're starting job is going to pay you here in the city?
What do you think you'll be able to afford in rent? (Taking into account the 40-45x rule)
What other expenses will you have?
Do you plan on living alone?

Before pigeonholing yourself to one remote area near the Bronx, you need to have an idea of what you think you're expenses will be before making the move here. Once these questions have been answered, others on this site can help you to find a suitable location if it is at all possible given your situation when you plan on moving.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
How much do you think you're starting job is going to pay you here in the city?
What do you think you'll be able to afford in rent? (Taking into account the 40-45x rule)
What other expenses will you have?
Do you plan on living alone?

Before pigeonholing yourself to one remote area near the Bronx, you need to have an idea of what you think you're expenses will be before making the move here. Once these questions have been answered, others on this site can help you to find a suitable location if it is at all possible given your situation when you plan on moving.

1. Well using glassdoor, average salaries for nurses in NYC area is around $76,339. I know the COL in the NYC area is more than where I come from. So I'm hoping to make around that much (NYC average).

2. Rent could be for me 1500-2000 depends if I'm living alone.

3. Expense..everything pertaining to a car (upkeep, gas, insurance) I don't drive anything fancy and don't plan on it, college loans, and food. I also love to travel and will be visiting my hometown back in Michigan many times when work allows.

4. I don't mind having a roommate would prefer living alone.

ty

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
I would focus on securing a job before contemplating a place to live. If you lived in Yonkers in Fleetwood (I think that's what the area is called) and had to work in Coney Island for some reason, you now have a 3 hour or very expensive car commute. A lot can happen in three years. I've seen the price range of the studios I wanted in Washington Heights jump from $1300 to $1600 in only a year. My return to NYC when I left in 2011 and returned in 2014 was even more astounding as what I found as affordable back in 2010-2011 was now astronomically more expensive.

Focus on your BSN and obtaining a job in or around the city, that'll be a better dictation of where you likely should live. Who knows, maybe Bayonne, NJ might be a better choice if your hospital is in Hudson County, NJ.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Yonkers has some good areas and some areas that are problematic. You would want to avoid the Getty Square area of SW Yonkers because you do not want an area that has a higher incidence of crime.

What about The Bronx? You can live in a good neighborhood and have access to Manhattan and other areas of The Bronx with easy transportation. At least starting out, this might not be a bad option, since you will want to reassess for schools when the time comes that you have children and decide what type of school you want, and what system is best for your needs. Parts of Queens would also be good bets, especially if you work on Long Island or Manhattan, and parking is not as difficult. Car insurance is higher in the city, lowest in Manhattan and highest in Brooklyn, and you would also pay city resident income tax, but might not be a bad option when single, depending upon the hospital.

Yonkers does not have a great reputation for schools, but two standout magnet schools that are top-ranked. The problem is due to a desegregation order that makes every school in the city a magnet school, essentially, with no guarantees as to the local neighborhood school. The elite schools, Pearls Hawthorne and Yonkers High, grant admission by examination and Yonkers High is an IB curriculum only.

White Plains would be another consideration for a suburban edge city as it is not as sleepy as the towns and villages of Westchester, and offers proximity to hospitals in Westchester and Lower Fairfield County with ease, as well as a decent commute to The Bronx and Manhattan.

There are many options in the area, and you should be able to find something at the price point you want, but I agree that it would depend upon hospital as to which one would be best suited to your criteria. If you were to work at say Columbia Presbyterian, you could live right across the bridge in Fort Lee, NJ and have easy city access, ability to keep the car, and a safe area in which to live, with a relatively easy commute to work. If you were to work at NYU-Langone, you might find Queens or Brooklyn to offer an easier commute, or even Long Island as you could take the LIRR to Penn Station and the select bus across 34th Street. New York - Cornell is very far east, so the commute options could be a little more limited, but you could take an express bus to The Bronx and travel to Queens with relative ease. Driving could be easier, but more expensive. If you were at the Hospital for Special Surgery, it's similar to New York Hospital in that it's basically at the East River. There are so many different systems and campuses, from Mount Sinai on 5th Avenue, close to the UES/East Harlem border to Lenox Hill to Columbia Presbyterian, etc. in Manhattan alone, such that it would be difficult to narrow down a specific area of focus until you know where you would be working as there can be nuances to a commute that could make it much harder from one place than another, especially at peak hours.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-29-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I would focus on securing a job before contemplating a place to live. If you lived in Yonkers in Fleetwood (I think that's what the area is called) and had to work in Coney Island for some reason, you now have a 3 hour or very expensive car commute. A lot can happen in three years. I've seen the price range of the studios I wanted in Washington Heights jump from $1300 to $1600 in only a year. My return to NYC when I left in 2011 and returned in 2014 was even more astounding as what I found as affordable back in 2010-2011 was now astronomically more expensive.

Focus on your BSN and obtaining a job in or around the city, that'll be a better dictation of where you likely should live. Who knows, maybe Bayonne, NJ might be a better choice if your hospital is in Hudson County, NJ.
This. Also the average salary on glassdoor includes nurses with considerable experience as well. I used to work in the medical field and I've seen many young nurses come straight out of college assuming that they're going to be making 70K to start only to be highly disappointed at their actual starting salary. Despite the insane amount of work a Nursing degree requires, starting salaries are around 45-50K. That 70K doesn't start happening until at least 5 years in from what I've seen. Additionally, the field is highly competitive in this city. It's one of the most competitive fields out there. It's why I always recommend to those who feel they cannot finish a nursing degree to look at becoming a surgical tech instead. Salaries are comparable but the degree and job descriptions are far less stressful.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 PM

73 posts, read 57,239 times
stay away from yonkers i have lived here over 6 years its very dirty the only clean place is the river front and the rent there is about the same as a one bedroom in the city they start at 1,800 yes the amenities are great *gym indoors, laundry in the unit, movie center some cool stuff but yonkers is disgusting i swear there is a shooting every night
a police mobile command center on so many corners the place is full of drugs, prostitutes roam the streets late at night
its disgusting. i'm moving soon

Old 09-29-2015, 03:31 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
This. Also the average salary on glassdoor includes nurses with considerable experience as well. I used to work in the medical field and I've seen many young nurses come straight out of college assuming that they're going to be making 70K to start only to be highly disappointed at their actual starting salary. Despite the insane amount of work a Nursing degree requires, starting salaries are around 45-50K. That 70K doesn't start happening until at least 5 years in from what I've seen. Additionally, the field is highly competitive in this city. It's one of the most competitive fields out there. It's why I always recommend to those who feel they cannot finish a nursing degree to look at becoming a surgical tech instead. Salaries are comparable but the degree and job descriptions are far less stressful.
Starting salaries for new hire RNs in NYC area begins around mid 70k and goes up to low 90k on average with some places going into low 60k. Much will depend up on shift, institution, previous experience (if any) and if the place is union or not. As a newly hired nurse moves up the clinical ladder she or he can expect to earn more in the coming two years before reaching a plateau of an "experienced" nurse. Those wages will vary by several factors including speciality.

You can go over to places like AllNurses.com and find reports from actual newly hired RNs that are working in NYC hospitals. LTC, rehab, nursing homes and other employers may pay same or less. However in general hospital work is where the big money is to be found.

These wages are for Registered Nurses in NYC. Licensed Practical Nurses are a whole different ball game and often earn less than RNs.

Salary in Suffolk/Nassau Area | allnurses

New Grad Salary in NYC | allnurses

These wages are pretty much the norm in New Jersey, Westchester and Long Island as well. Indeed according to Glassdoor.com the average wage for a NYC area nurse is 77K per. http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/ne...15_KO14,30.htm

Any RN working in NYC for 40k to 50K is not in a hospital, working full time and or has something else going on.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Starting salaries for new hire RNs in NYC area begins around mid 70k and goes up to low 90k on average with some places going into low 60k. Much will depend up on shift, institution, previous experience (if any) and if the place is union or not. As a newly hired nurse moves up the clinical ladder she or he can expect to earn more in the coming two years before reaching a plateau of an "experienced" nurse. Those wages will vary by several factors including speciality.

You can go over to places like AllNurses.com and find reports from actual newly hired RNs that are working in NYC hospitals. LTC, rehab, nursing homes and other employers may pay same or less. However in general hospital work is where the big money is to be found.

These wages are for Registered Nurses in NYC. Licensed Practical Nurses are a whole different ball game and often earn less than RNs.

Salary in Suffolk/Nassau Area | allnurses

New Grad Salary in NYC | allnurses

These wages are pretty much the norm in New Jersey, Westchester and Long Island as well. Indeed according to Glassdoor.com the average wage for a NYC area nurse is 77K per. Salary: Registered Nurse in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Any RN working in NYC for 40k to 50K is not in a hospital, working full time and or has something else going on.
If we're talking about Nurses that have completed all their schooling already then you would be correct. But for those simply with a BSN which is what the OP would be in three years, that is what he would typically start off making. I worked directly with HR on a number of hires at Maimonides as well as a local surgery center nearby and the salaries were surprisingly low. Nothing fishy, it's just what it was for those who simply had a bachelor's. This was 2 years ago. I doubt things have changed that much since then.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
- I'm looking to move to the area in the near future after I obtain my BSN (I have three years) and I'll save up some money for about a year in order to move.
Does this mean you are not looking to move for 3 years?

A lot will change in 3 years time. Take my building I live in for example, studios went up $300 in 2 years time.
You can get some ideas but it will be hard to gauge what you will be paying for rent then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City