Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen an African American and Dominican in a romantic relationship before?
Yes 46 82.14%
No 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Your boyfriend is a weirdo. He's the exception not the norm with Dominicans. If you are mulatto, you are mullato, if you are black, you are black, and if you're white, you're white.

At least it's not the warped US view that someone who looks like A-rod is considered black.
I don't think anyone considers A-Rod black

Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't think anyone considers A-Rod black
Even with his permed hair most people consider A-Rod Black. Also he has been photographed with his browner relatives that share the same grandparents with him, because of this it seems that he owns up to his Blackness. He just looks like a light complexion Black person. There are plenty of Black people that look like A-Rod in the US that haven't had White people in their family since slavery.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Even with his permed hair most people consider A-Rod Black. Also he has been photographed with his browner relatives that share the same grandparents with him, because of this it seems that he owns up to his Blackness. He just looks like a light complexion Black person. There are plenty of Black people that look like A-Rod in the US that haven't had White people in their family since slavery.
I'm sorry but I disagree, I've literally never heard anyone refer to A-Rod as black, and I don't hear of people who look like A-Rod being referred to as black.

It's a bit of a stretch to say he looks like a "light complexion black person".

Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Alex Rodriguez looks mulatto to me. An good example of an mulatto is me, with a mostly white mother with some black, and a mostly black father with some white.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-29-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM
DAS

Quote:
I'm sorry but I disagree, I've literally never heard anyone refer to A-Rod as black, and I don't hear of people who look like A-Rod being referred to as black.

No its not. There are plenty of black people that look similar to him in the US. Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, many of the southern states.

Also people know he is Dominican so they wouldn't say it like that. Everyone knows most Dominicans and many Latin people, don't like to be referred to as Black unless they really know and understand the history, and its passed down to them in their families where their ancestors came from.

Concerning history, the Spanish slave owners freed their Mulatto children. So being a mulatto would be a great thing. In the US you were born a slave and stayed a slave if you were Mulatto. Plus your father would not claim you most of the time. You would also probably be mistreated by others because of it. So it was not a great thing.

Last edited by DAS; 10-29-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 10:01 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Alex Rodriguez looks mulatto to me. An good example of an mulatto is me, with a mostly white mother with some black, and a mostly black father with some white.
That is the term that was used over 100 years ago in the US. If you were Mulatto and don't look White you will be considered Black even if you are light.

If you have one Black parent and one White parent you are considered Bi-Racial now. However Bi-Racial people come in many shades and colors, many hair textures etc. So if you don't know a person is Bi-Racial you are just going to take them as what they look like.

Unless a Bi-Racial person can pass for White, they would have to specify that is what they are.

Like I have stated many times they have stopped using all those names for different degrees of Whiteness over a hundred years ago in the US. We don't want to go back in time fighting the same battles over and over. It doesn't help anyone that is Black, no matter how light. No powerful White person is going to consider you White.

You are going to need talent, and education. If you can add money to that equation the better for you. ARod has all three.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Your boyfriend is a weirdo. He's the exception not the norm with Dominicans. If you are mulatto, you are mullato, if you are black, you are black, and if you're white, you're white.

At least it's not the warped US view that someone who looks like A-rod is considered black.
I think he is starting to come around. Last night he said he is "mixed" but only with a little black & then he pinched his fingers. I think once we move to the states he will realize real quickly where he falls in the eyes of white america and the police.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM

193 posts, read 282,428 times
Quote:

While most people don't outright say ARod is Black, he would be considered Black by a lot of people. Look at him in relation to someone like Derek Jeter, or Terrance Howard, both people who are labeled as Black. They all have similar features, so why would someone who considered Derek Jeter and Terrance Howard Black not consider ARod Black as well?

Old 10-29-2015, 03:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
That is the term that was used over 100 years ago in the US. If you were Mulatto and don't look White you will be considered Black even if you are light.

If you have one Black parent and one White parent you are considered Bi-Racial now. However Bi-Racial people come in many shades and colors, many hair textures etc. So if you don't know a person is Bi-Racial you are just going to take them as what they look like.

Unless a Bi-Racial person can pass for White, they would have to specify that is what they are.

Like I have stated many times they have stopped using all those names for different degrees of Whiteness over a hundred years ago in the US. We don't want to go back in time fighting the same battles over and over. It doesn't help anyone that is Black, no matter how light. No powerful White person is going to consider you White.

You are going to need talent, and education. If you can add money to that equation the better for you. ARod has all three.
I never grew up African American, or know about the African American experience. This I had to learn from countless sources of media. But yes Biracial is the new term that replaced mulatto which in some context is negative. When I was in DR, I learned different colors of skin like constano, prado, indio, negro. It looks like the Spanish castiza system is still alive and well.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I never grew up African American, or know about the African American experience. This I had to learn from countless sources of media. But yes Biracial is the new term that replaced mulatto which in some context is negative. When I was in DR, I learned different colors of skin like constano, prado, indio, negro. It looks like the Spanish castiza system is still alive and well.
Like I stated before the history is different. In Latin America if you were an African slave and you had a baby by a White person, the baby would be free no matter how dark it was. The mother was usually freed also. If you think about it that, the baby would probably try to marry a White person or another person that was light in complexion to insure that their baby would have more advantages. That is why you have all those names for different complexions.

In the US you may describe a Black person as light, brown, or dark brown, red (red haired, freckled) the reds can be light or brown. But they are all still Black.

The history in the US was different. An African slave that had a child by a White person the baby would be a slave no matter how White it looked. Also that same baby could marry another White looking Black person and have a baby that was darker than both of them. That can happen today. If there is African Blood you never know how light or dark the child will be. That should not be important any way. It doesn't help you in the US to be light or dark. You need education, talent, and if you add money to that the better for you. You also need those things if you are White, its just that it may be easier for you in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City