Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can accept bringing back the Tunnel if Danny and Junior are around.
Senior Vaswuez needs to remain retired. Too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 04:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wanna build a club on the Queens shore front facing Manahttan. I want to name it Gatsby which will have a green buoy light at the top of the club illuminating its way to Manhattan. In order to get in, one must have a valid NYS ID. Any other ID folks are barred from entering. There will be 3 different dance floors, one will be a Latin/Caribbean floor, playing sounds from Cuba to Trinidad and everything in between. The 2nd floor will be the hip hop and dub floor. The last floor or the main floor will be strictly EDC.
You are 10 years too late. The Queens shored gentrified and they are not tolerant of club types.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:03 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's just part of being an idiot 20-something, which is the target demographic. Once you get even slightly old enough to see what's what you start to realize how juvenile and stupid most of these places are. I used to be a real night life guy but I haven't gone near any place that charges a cover in quite some time. And places that grossly overcharge for drinks aren't super high on my list these days either. (Depends on the context)
Well, nightlife has changed a lot in the last 15 years. It used to be the case that everyone went to the club to dance. This was before Facebook. Before camera phones. Before selfies. Before every woman carried a digital camera in her purse (this was before camera phones became high resolution). You simply went to the club and danced.

Fast forward and the club scene is dominated by bottle service. Bottle service ruined the nightlife experience.

I think most people would still enjoy the pre-bottle service clubbing days.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, nightlife has changed a lot in the last 15 years. It used to be the case that everyone went to the club to dance. This was before Facebook. Before camera phones. Before selfies. Before every woman carried a digital camera in her purse (this was before camera phones became high resolution). You simply went to the club and danced.

Fast forward and the club scene is dominated by bottle service. Bottle service ruined the nightlife experience.

Bottle service is just another way to discriminate.

Instead of hearing "private party" at the ropes you are asked "do you have a bottle?". Same effect just different words.

Truth to be told the mixing of club scene grew out of straights and others heading to gay clubs because the music and vibe were seen as far better. Same as when white teens and young adults back in the day would head up to Harlem to go to places like the Savoy ballroom.

Having experienced bottle-service clubs/lounges in Europe knew what to expect when that concept was imported to NYC. But again as one previously stated it worked mainly because NYC or at least Manhattan nightlife was moving away from the mega clubs to more intimate venues. Part of this was in reaction to all the scandal the spilled out from Limelight and other PG clubs. The other was simply the natural evolution of nightlife that occurs every generation or so as people want something different. The era of club kids and whatever simply came to an end.

What also killed large clubs was the Internet and the effect it had on particularly gay clubs. Like or not the prime reason many gay males would hit bars or clubs was to meet other men. Well once AOL and other Internet technology allowed you to so that from the comfort of your home the need to "go out" lessened. Yes, gay men like everyone else did continue to go out clubbing or bar hopping, but the numbers declined.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

What also killed large clubs was the Internet and the effect it had on particularly gay clubs. Like or not the prime reason many gay males would hit bars or clubs was to meet other men. Well once AOL and other Internet technology allowed you to so that from the comfort of your home the need to "go out" lessened. Yes, gay men like everyone else did continue to go out clubbing or bar hopping, but the numbers declined.
Even for Shelter and Body and Soul, for example ? I had the sense that it was more than just meeting people for those crowds.

The drug laws, according to some people, were a major thing for the clubs. There was a major club owner who went to jail - I once met him. And the cabaret laws. People could not deal with it.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Even for Shelter and Body and Soul, for example ? I had the sense that it was more than just meeting people for those crowds.

The drug laws, according to some people, were a major thing for the clubs. There was a major club owner who went to jail - I once met him. And the cabaret laws. People could not deal with it.

Thing about steeped up enforcement of drug and the other laws was that club owners (as they pointed out repeatedly but got nowhere) were being held accountable for the actions of their customers.

Having done my fair share of "clubbing" back in the day knew all sorts of drug dealers/sellers both gay and straight; black or white or Hispanic/Latino etc... in short of all backgrounds. You had Italian-American guys from New Jersey just as easily as anyone else. Outside of strip searching everyone before entering there isn't then nor now an easy way to prevent drugs from getting into clubs.

Girls would simply put the stuff in their handbags or on their person. Guys down their jocks or in their back backs to be gotten out before checking. Ditto for coats and whatever else.

When you consider a many clubs/parties tended to discriminate against blacks and other minorities who do you think was bringing in all those drugs?

As for Shelter, yes would give you that space was different in that the club catered to a hard techno crowd of any persuasion. It was more about love of the music than going out to get your freak on....

Funny you should mention Shelter as have known a few persons who lived in the condos that became of the place after it was purchased. In fact whenever am down around the Laight Street area my mind sometimes goes back to all the clubs that were down there in the 1980's and 1990's.

Peter Moore spent about 20 million for that property back in early 2000's. Today just one condo unit costs nearly 13 million: Condo for sale at 6 Hubert Street 1AB, New York, NY, 10013

Running around that area back then trying to find a cab at 730AM on a Sunday morning who knew?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:

As for Shelter, yes would give you that space was different in that the club catered to a hard techno crowd of any persuasion. It was more about love of the music than going out to get your freak on....
In no way was that "hard techno" ! Must object. Many would object.

I was that person at 8 or 9 AM looking for a cab - not 7:30. Sunday morning. I got through course work in a very competitive professional program by this method. I stopped going after 9/11, hard to explain. The building had already been under discussion for selling. It was sad because the space had so much history.

There were no drugs at Shelter, they searched you. Some marijuana. People just danced.
Really different crowd than other places, kind of exclusive, famous people showed up all of the time but only certain types. Everyone was treated the same.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In no way was that "hard techno" ! Must object. Many would object.

I was that person at 8 or 9 AM looking for a cab - not 7:30. Sunday morning. I got through course work in a very competitive professional program by this method. I stopped going after 9/11, hard to explain. The building had already been under discussion for selling. It was sad because the space had so much history.

There were no drugs at Shelter, they searched you. Some marijuana. People just danced.
Really different crowd than other places, kind of exclusive, famous people showed up all of the time but only certain types. Everyone was treated the same.

Exception noted...

Stopped going below 14th Street especially on the Westside for several years after 9/11/01. Not being able to stand at say 14th and Seventh and see the Twin Towers was too much. All my life had used those two buildings as markers...

Just when started getting over that Saint Vincent's was closed. So now won't go down Seventh and 14th Street as hate seeing what has become of the property.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Stopped going below 14th Street especially on the Westside for several years after 9/11/01. Not being able to stand at say 14th and Seventh and see the Twin Towers was too much. All my life had used those two buildings as markers...
I know ! or something.
Just didn't go any more. I lived about ten e/w blocks away - off Bowery.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Yes, I went to clubs to get my dance on! nothing beat a nice evening of drinking and dancing after a hard day's work. I think I stayed thin by being on a booze diet and dancing for hours.

At the risk of sounding old, I hate the FB era with selfies and crap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City