Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:38 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You said your a fan of Ayn Rand. Free market Capitalism hasn't countered the "isms" including of the day, including racism and guess what...thousands of intellectuals can prove this. Even Capitalists don't really take her seriously.
Of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
You can do better that "I know you are but what am I" Mr. two Ivy league universities.
I might buy Cornell but not the second claim - impossible.
They do have cash-generating online courses, not really the same thing.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which is why universities began using SATs and other standardized tests to begin with. It was recognized some schools had severe grade inflation and poor instruction. The standardized tests weed that out. On a state and a national level they use standardized tests to determine which schools are doing an extremely poor job of instruction.
This must be a unique opinion. A person could not lack even a clue to this extent.
If nothing else, there is lots of writing about the tests.

All of that internet research, obviously, and yet no idea what people say about this these days. Go figure.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You said your a fan of Ayn Rand. Free market Capitalism hasn't countered the "isms" including of the day, including racism and guess what...thousands of intellectuals can prove this. Even Capitalists don't really take her seriously.
You speak for all capitalists?

You did a poll on capitalists to find out how they feel about Ayn Rand?

I said how I personally feel about Ayn Rand's work. Note I made no claims on how other people felt?

You in an attempt to make disparaging comments on Rand decided to claim capitalists don't take her serious, but capitalists include a large amount of people.

But this is a baseless assertion, and certainly one that you haven't backed up. You may personally disagree with her and that is fine. You should then therefore speak for yourself.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:20 PM

274 posts, read 298,063 times
I am a NYCDOE teacher. I'm also white. I was saying to a colleague just last year that there seems to be a very low number of Hispanic, black and Asian male teachers in this city. However, it's not that they aren't being hired during the interview process, it seems that there is a very few candidates in that demographic period.

I don't know what the answer is. As a man, I'm a minority in education to begin with. it's a female-dominated profession.

My principal tells me that he wants to hire men but that very few seem to be out there with a license.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I

All your argument comes down to is perception - more specifically student perception. Its difficult to quantify for sure, the research results on racial role models versus role models per se is ambiguous. .

Asians don't labor under the stereotypes directed at poor black and darker Hispanic boys, so do not need visible evidence, in the form of role models, that success is indeed possible if one applies one's self to the task.

There is a whole societal expectation that poor black and darker Hispanics will at best lead mediocre lives. Unfortunately many believe that themselves as they don't see any evidence to the contrary. So DIRECT exposure to men of color who defy those stereotypes is crucial.

Those from the middle class have their parents and other social kin as role models, so are less trapped by this syndrome. Their parents likely raise them with the expectation that, while they may face more barriers than others, opportunities exist and that they should strive and accept no excuses.

This problem is getting worse as we have an increasing under class which is isolated from the rest of society.

I am always amused by whites who scream that they are experts on blacks.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

This problem is getting worse as we have an increasing under class which is isolated from the rest of society.

I am further amused by those who claim to be black and scream that they are expert on "blacks," especially in New York. When in fact they are just plain stupid, something that certainly compromises knowing anything about anything.

Completely agree about the isolated underclass. This is worsening exponentially.
Trying to help, many are I suppose.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 AM

152 posts, read 185,747 times
I remember years back I applied for Teach for America fellowship, but didn't get selected because i think I am white

Old 01-23-2016, 04:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The facts are on your side (see below). I'd doubt he'd change his tune tho - there are plenty of people who do not understand population studies. They think because they know some single parents whose kids made it to Columbia and U Penn, and they know some dysfunctional still married parents down the road whose kid flunked out at 15, that there's no conclusions you can draw about populations. They confuse the individual circumstance with the population stats.

As a population, women live longer than men. Will grandma Betty outlive Uncle Randy? Who knows....

I'd like to use this data for a presentation. Where did you get it?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Asians don't labor under the stereotypes directed at poor black and darker Hispanic boys, so do not need visible evidence, in the form of role models, that success is indeed possible if one applies one's self to the task.

There is a whole societal expectation that poor black and darker Hispanics will at best lead mediocre lives. Unfortunately many believe that themselves as they don't see any evidence to the contrary. So DIRECT exposure to men of color who defy those stereotypes is crucial.

Those from the middle class have their parents and other social kin as role models, so are less trapped by this syndrome. Their parents likely raise them with the expectation that, while they may face more barriers than others, opportunities exist and that they should strive and accept no excuses.

Excellent points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City