Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM

782 posts, read 859,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But people are talking about Jamaica being the next gentrification hotspot. If Jamaica can be gentrified, why not Midwood and Sheepshead Bay?
I wouldn't buy into that speculation about Jamaica. Maybe it can become a business hub of some sort but I can't see full-on gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
For people who eat, work, and play in Brooklyn, no part of brooklyn seems that far as long as it's serviced by public transportation.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:04 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I would agree with the second poster, although its possible some more yuppie types may come in, it would not be gentrification. I live very close to there and its been a nice, stable and vibrant area as long am I am familiar with it.

Been a few month since I was over by the KH Q stop, but it seems a very large building will be coming to the corner a block over. I assume its still a hole in the ground
It's a commercial building, not apartments and it won't be large. About four or five stories.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:06 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Cortelyou Rd to Newkirk Rd is already seeing signs of yuppification or whatever you want to call it. Hip bars, wine shops, coffee shops and Asian/Korean hip restaurants are already springing up in that area. Right off of Cortelyou Rd already is beating out areas that are actually closer to the city, I would almost say its over and already full on yuppified. Parkside to Church Ave still seems to be dragging. We frequently actually go over to that side to check out new places to eat these days.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:58 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Hopefully not. Chinese and Russian neighborhoods don't usually put up with getting breadknotted so easily.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Kings Highway is the 3rd world in terms of atmosphere (I'm the child of Russian immigrants so nothing particularly against it).

There are 2 really good Turkish restaurants there (btw, Russian have a fetish for Turkish food; a leftover habit from the Soviet days).

Apart from that Kings Highway kind of sucks.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,208 times
there is absolutely NOTHING crime free about Kings Highway or Sheepshead bay

Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Kings Highway is the 3rd world in terms of atmosphere (I'm the child of Russian immigrants so nothing particularly against it).

There are 2 really good Turkish restaurants there (btw, Russian have a fetish for Turkish food; a leftover habit from the Soviet days).

From what I remember. One of the Turkish restaurants was runned by Albanians who have lots of Turkish cultural influence due to 400 years of Ottoman rule.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:01 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only way Jamaica can gentrify is that it becomes a hub for professional jobs. And not to live there. Jamaica is already to far for folks who live in prime areas of Manahttan, Western Brooklyn and Western Queens.
once LIRR reverse peak service improves that won't be a problem. especially with freedom ticket.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

kings highway also smells like friggin ash as those idiots can't go 3 seconds without their smokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City