Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,854 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I are considering moving to Middle Village Queens. We've been priced out of Greenpoint and most of Brooklyn, and want something a little more family-oriented now that we have a baby. Middle Village Queens looks like a great place with good public schools, somewhat affordable single-family homes (though small) and access to green space and the M train. Our only hesitation is the apparent lack of racial diversity. I come from Canada where I didn't experience much in the way of racist attitudes toward non whites, but I guess in retrospect the population was pretty much white where I grew up (Italians, Greeks, Serbs, Irish, etc.) I am white and my wife is black hispanic. I read the thread about the infamous Middle Village bakery not hiring a black woman, but I am curious if any middle villagers can share their opinion on how accepted an inter-racial family will feel in the Village?
Thanks to anyone who cares to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
An Hispanic wife would not have a problem there. She might just love it. Good community feel in Middle Village. However, the southern protestant American with their rural behavior pattern - i.e. violence towards the weak, bizarre matriarchal anything goes family structure, rampant infanticide, over consumption of salt laden fast food, etc.... Those that exhibit this protestant southern behavior pattern will not fit in here. Hispanic ladies have absolutely nothing in common with Southern protestant rednecks. These protestants -white or black they are all the same- have destroyed urban centers such as Detroit- people from this cultural background are not fit for urban life and may not mesh well with the ethnic urban population of Middle Village. The ruling class no longer sees the urban ethnics of middle village as a threat, and will not fund the movement of southern protestants to northern cities anymore. The media fires of the past that were stoked in ethnic urban neighborhoods like Middle Village are no longer a ruling class topic. Should be no issues in Middle Village.

For cultural subversion the ruling class prefers the homosexual as the agent of social revolution. Back to the original point - an Hispanic Latin is much more civilized than a southern american and will fit right in around middle village more so than anywhere else in the NYC area.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,854 times
ok, I think I get what you are saying. To most people my wife looks black and not necessarily hispanic. But I think you are saying we will be fine, unless the people of Middle Village think that she is a southern protestant, in which case we will not be fine.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
She should be fine. The people of middle village will know the difference between a Latina and a southern protestant and all will be fine. The first hint is there is a spouse! Southern protestants don't get married very much - so when they see a spouse they know that she is not the tip of the violence spewing ice berg from Alabama. Not too sure how they feel about Canadians however, are you a nice person? Do you know how to properly fold your pizza? Can you speak honestly and directly? Work on small things like this and you will love it there. Even the people of Middle Village will accept a Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianInTheMidst View Post
ok, I think I get what you are saying. To most people my wife looks black and not necessarily hispanic. But I think you are saying we will be fine, unless the people of Middle Village think that she is a southern protestant, in which case we will not be fine.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Nobody will notice.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Nobody will notice.
This...

OP - you are way over-thinking this one. Middle village is not Middle America.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Nobody will notice.
Exactly.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Middle Village is awesome. It's like going into a time warp.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:09 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Middle Village is awesome. It's like going into a time warp.
It really is, and you'd be surprised at some blocks. My family used to live on 82nd Street near 58th ave off Elliot and the block had Jamaicans, Chinese, Colombians, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Polish, and a bunch of other ethnic cultures. It was a nice mix of hard working families just trying to get by. And they would have block parties in the summer all the time. I'm talking maybe 3-5 years ago. Not every street is like that but it isn't bereft of diversity. I think circa 2015-2016 the demographics are something like 65-70% White 15-20% Hispanic 5-10% Asian 1-3% Black... You'll be more than fine there.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
An Hispanic wife would not have a problem there. She might just love it. Good community feel in Middle Village. However, the southern protestant American with their rural behavior pattern - i.e. violence towards the weak, bizarre matriarchal anything goes family structure, rampant infanticide, over consumption of salt laden fast food, etc.... Those that exhibit this protestant southern behavior pattern will not fit in here. Hispanic ladies have absolutely nothing in common with Southern protestant rednecks. These protestants -white or black they are all the same- have destroyed urban centers such as Detroit- people from this cultural background are not fit for urban life and may not mesh well with the ethnic urban population of Middle Village. The ruling class no longer sees the urban ethnics of middle village as a threat, and will not fund the movement of southern protestants to northern cities anymore. The media fires of the past that were stoked in ethnic urban neighborhoods like Middle Village are no longer a ruling class topic. Should be no issues in Middle Village.

For cultural subversion the ruling class prefers the homosexual as the agent of social revolution. Back to the original point - an Hispanic Latin is much more civilized than a southern american and will fit right in around middle village more so than anywhere else in the NYC area.
What an offensive post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City