Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 203,573 times

Advertisements

What is Flushing like? Are the areas there nice? I'm just wondering ... is it one of the bigger cities of Queens?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO ITZZ JASONN View Post
What is Flushing like? Are the areas there nice? I'm just wondering ... is it one of the bigger cities of Queens?
Queens is part of NYC and Flushing is a neighborhood of Queens. You might want to post this on the NYC board.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
All I know is that there is a large Asian population.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Flushing is my hometown. It has a LARGE Asian population in the downtown area (I hear it is bigger than Manhattan's and I'm sure it is). But is it home to all walks of life. Flushing is a very large area of Queens. And the urban heart of Queens, only behind Jamaica. Some parts of Flushing is what you will call bad. (If you go a little bit down Main St. pass Sanford Ave., that area is a little sketchy). Some areas is nice (getting passed Northen Blvd and heading towards Bayside and Whitestone). Flushing is home to Shea Statium (home of the NY Mets) and is going to be home of Citi Field. Also, it is home to Flushing-Meadows Corona Park (or Flushing Meadows for short) Which is home to the Queens Museam of Art. Also, Queens unoffical symbol.... The Unisphere!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/95/Flushing_Meadows_Globe.jpg/250px-Flushing_Meadows_Globe.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by SilkCity0416; 02-07-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: adding more info.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO ITZZ JASONN View Post
like others have said, flushing is a neighborhood of queens, and queens is a borough of nyc. flushing is not a separate city or anything like that. it's one of the more prominent neighborhoods of queens, and includes sub-sections such as murray hill, queensboro hill, etc.

flushing is a relatively safe, working-to-middle class neighborhood. there are a couple of projects, but for the most part it's safe. the area around main st and roosevelt ave is overwhelmingly chinese, and the eastern areas past parsons blvd are overwhelmingly korean. the southern parts of flushing, esp. around bowne st northwest of kissena park, is home to a solid number of indians. and there is still a handful of older white residents (irish, italian, jewish) who never moved out as the asians moved in, as well as a solid latino population mixed in everywhere.

the further east you go toward auburndale and bayside, the nicer it gets, esp. north of northern blvd in the 160s. lots of nice, older single family homes there with beautiful architecture. the area around main st has a lot of those prototypical red brick apartment buildings you see everywhere in queens as well as two- and three-family homes and, like i said, a few projects.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM

487 posts, read 1,363,680 times
Are Auburndale and Bayside considered part of Flushing or not?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
^^^ I don't think so. Most people who live there put "Bayside, NY" as their address. Though the 109 precinct covers that area.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 PM

139 posts, read 923,791 times
i dont know jack about the neighborhoods of flushing but i enjoy hitting up main street in flushing .nice business environment

Old 02-08-2008, 07:20 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
Are Auburndale and Bayside considered part of Flushing or not?
bayside is definitely a completely separate neighborhood from flushing.

the answer isn't so clear-cut for auburndale, though. i know lots of people who live near that neighborhood, and probably half of them refer to it as flushing, and half think it's bayside. some of them have never even heard of the name "auburndale", which is surprising since the LIRR station in the neighborhood bears that name.

personally, i've always looked at it as a subsection of bayside, but i could easily be wrong. the thing is, i'm not even sure of auburndale's western or eastern boundaries. it's entirely possible that, for instance, its western boundary extends well into the eastern area of what i consider flushing/murray hill, which would in turn mean that auburndale is a part of flushing. or it could extend well into what most consider "bayside proper", though i doubt that. all i know is that it's centered around the aurburndale LIRR station.

the thing is, there's a section of eastern flushing around northern blvd & 162nd st (where the broadway LIRR station is) which could very well be part of auburndale - but i've always regarded it as the murray hill section of flushing. having said that, i'm one of the only people i know who even refers to eastern flushing as murray hill; the majority call the entire area from shea stadium to utopia parkway or francis lewis blvd as "flushing".

i'd love to hear from a longtime resident of the area - someone who's been there since way before the koreans, chinese, latinos, and even greeks started moving in (i.e. mid-1960s and earlier). it's quite possible that he/she might look at auburndale as completely distinct from BOTH flushing/murray hill and bayside.

for what it's worth, here's an interesting take on the neighborhood from a 1996 article in the real estate section of the ny times:

Placid Diversity Convenient to Manhattan - New York Times

''This community has little or no sense of itself,'' said a 1967 profile of Auburndale done by the Queens Borough Public Library while it was scouting for places to build branches. Instead, people thought of themselves as residents of Flushing or Bayside, which sandwich the neighborhood.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
CNG

28 posts, read 182,644 times
Flushing is great IMO, also theres buses everywhere there. EVERYWHERE.

I don't remember seeing any crime over there in person, and I'm outside for like 10 hours a weekday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City