Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM

42 posts, read 160,711 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to ask how do people manage to live in NY? I recently graduated college and went all over the U.S. for interviews. Did a interview in NYC, in Brooklyn. My experience just traveling didn't go over that well and decided definitely against moving NYC. I don't want offend anyone, but I personally think I would not be able to manage living in NYC myself.

I have lived in Columbia, Missouri (town 80k) most of my life. Way to used to being able to drive anywhere in town easily. I ended moving to Dallas, Texas to work in Garland, TX. It about a 15 min to 20 min drive to work. I will also admit I am Geek and spend most of my time at home in front of the Computer. Don't have much of a night life/club going/etc at all.

NYC seemed way to hard to manage. First of all I think almost everyone is taking public transport because it nearly impossible drive or own a car. I have been on the Subways and Buses in NYC and they seem quite crowded to me. I probably would be fed up after month of subways trips and dying to go back being able to drive to/from work.

Also, most people are renting and maybe some living in older house. So far I have lived in my parent's brand new houses in Missouri. After living in real house I can't stand idea of living in apartment/older house for too long. They are darn cheap in MO, about 3 story 3000 sq and total with payments is $1100 a month (mortgage + insurance + property tax). Texas I will admit is more expensive but I probably afford to still get new house in year or so. I doubt I would have been able to get brand new house in NYC area ever.

I keep on hearing how bad crime is in NYC. When I was there some place seemed pretty run down and crime filled. Is that really true? I personally haven't experience any serious criminal activity in my life.

After looking around in and hearing about NYC, I got easily scared way. I Know millions of people manage to do just fine there. Was wondering how you guys do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
same way you manage to live wherever you're at

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Yep. I've been to both Columbia, Mo. and Dallas and found both nice to visit for a short time but I wouldn't want to live there. I think people who are used to the U.S. outside New York or other larger northeastern cities are just used to driving everywhere, but I wouldn't really want to myself. NYC gets stressful at times but I like what I have here enough to pay more, and it never occurred to me to want a brand new place since I've always lived in older houses and think many of them are beautiful. It's a matter of personal preference but I'd much rather be here.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM

8 posts, read 43,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
same way you manage to live wherever you're at

LOL, So true!

You can't let the city bother you or mess up your head like that. This is the greatest city in the world, so of course you're gonna encounter crowds and crowds of people on a daily basis.

You just have to have your own attitude, keep to yourself, and if all else fails...move back home lol.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM

42 posts, read 160,711 times
I will definitely admit I couldn't take 1 day of it and quickly came back, LOL. NYC is fun place to visit, tons of things I want done there on vacation. But doesn't look I am cut out of live there everyday at all...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
I don't know... Just live!! lol

Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times
Personally, I like the subway, beacuse they are faster than driven in the city, plus I like to be in a car train with mix people from all over the place, different clases, races, ethnicities, countries, languages, etc. I will hate to live in an all white or black or whatever suburbia. Even if is mix, everyone just stay home or drive around. Not for me. You dont get to be as close as an interaction with different people than you, as you do on the subway or on many streets in NYC.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
How do we get by? 2 jobs, friends & family, music, and a pack of cigarettes.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,325 times
I 1 year in in Burlington, VT (pop. 40k) for a job, and although it was a really awesome town, I couldn't stand living there. I would love to return for a weekend or a week for vacation, but I don't think I can permanently live outside a major city. I'm from a large Asian city (which makes Boston or DC look like quaint small towns), so I got used to the urban life. New York was an appropriate choice for the lifestyle I wanted (no, I am NOT an artist, a banker, or someone who goes to the clubs every night).

In any case, to each his own. I can't blame the people I met in the small towns I've been to here if that is the life that they want. They also don't like where I've chosen to live mine. But we all do still get along and in the end, have stories to share about our unique experiences.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM

172 posts, read 476,068 times
Hey, man, I guess you get sucked in and there's no escape! Seriously, I went to Mizzou back in the 80s (graduated, even), and as much as I liked CoMo, well, it didn't have the kind of action and grand scale of things that I knew from growing up here. What can I tell you? One thing that's great about not having to deal with driving is you don't have to count your beers when you're out on the town, like some sad suburban geek. Not that there's anything wrong with being a geek ... but doesn't a geek want a drink now and then, out in the world with everybody else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City